Cigarettes prices ?

cubscott

Jan 10, 2004
I will be coming down to DR for my first time and was wondering what I should excpect to pay for a carton of Marlboro ? I heard there is a new tax ?

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I saw that it works out to be less than $1/pack. I never smoked a cigarrette in my life but at those prices my sense of "value" almost required me to pick up a 2 pack/day habbit.

cubscott

Jan 10, 2004
cigs

Thanks was wondering if I should take them down with me from Chicago. Even at the resorts 1$ per pack thats good. Are the American smokes.......

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I don't know anything about the quality of the importing or anything about tobacco really, but the sign caught my eye - I belive 220 pesos for 10 packs of Marlboro. That is about $6 for 10 packs. This was at a good sized supermarket so it could be higher at a resort - but I doubt anything close to US prices.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Prices at a resort are likely to be in line with prices in the US, but chances are you will be at most a 10 minute walk from somewhere you can buy them at the local price.

Quality is definitely not the same, many people tell me that Dominican manufactured Marlboro Light cigarettes are a bit stronger when compared to the American ones, and my personal opinion is that quality control is not as strict, I have frequently seen what appear to be clumps of tar in the Tabacco which as you would expect does not taste nice and looks funny when the fire hits it.

This is not frequent, but I smoke very little (less than a pack a week) and have come across this several times.

pigman

Dec 23, 2003
Cigarette prices

Just got back from Punta Cana. Bought Marlboro Lights for 330.00 which works out to 8.68US per carton of 200, as we were exchanging money at 38 to 1. Bought these at the supermarket in El Cortecito.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Re: Cigarette prices

pigman said:
Just got back from Punta Cana. Bought Marlboro Lights for 330.00 which works out to 8.68US per carton of 200, as we were exchanging money at 38 to 1. Bought these at the supermarket in El Cortecito.

Wow. They were RD$220-250 a carton in Boca Chica on the 5th when the peso was 35:1. Not sure if RD$330 is that great a price though since it is the cost of one pack in NYC I guess it is. Quitting is even better.