Teaching English in the DR

christinem22

Jan 14, 2004
Hi!

I just spent 2 weeks in Puerto Plata at Breezes and I fell in love with the Country and the people there.

I am interested in travelling to the DR to teach english in 2005 once I finish my undergraduate degree at the University of Waterloo, in Ontario, Canada.

I am having a hard time finding information about it. I was wondering if there are any paid positions. Most of the agencies I have found are Canadian agencies that will help you arrange volunteer work. I do not mind volunteering but the agencies cost a lot of money to get you set up in a Dominican school. Is any one familiar with whether it is easy to get a weekend job there if I was volunteering? Or is anyone aware of any paid positions for teaching english?

If anyone can provide me with the requirements or necessary websites I would greatly appreciate it. I want to start arranging things now so I can figure out if it will work or not

You can reply or e-mail me at christinem22@hotmail.com
Thanks a lot!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are plenty of places

With a university degree, you can teach ESL at many of the Universities, at the Bi-National institute (commonly called the Dominico-Americano), at any of the umpteen language schools. Right now Berlitz is dying for good native speakers.. ( Oh wait, you are Canadian, aren't you. Sorry, you aren't a "Native" speaker......hehehe)

Anyway, there are bunches of places where you can work. However, there are not that many places on the beaches...So you would have to work weeks and then beach it on the weekends. Of course, personal contact is far more effective than long distance. Improves your chances 100%

For example you might contact Cleef, here on this board and see how he is doing....He teaches English at a Bi-Lingual School, not ESL....

And there are several of those here too.

Think about Job Fairs....There is one, wait a sec, and let me see if I can find their addie: Here you go-->http://iss.edu/

Any more help and I have to collect a fee.....

HB