Eropean mobile phone in DR - roaming possible??

mvn

Jan 12, 2004
Hi,

Could anyone tell me whether or not I can use(i.e. roam to DR) my European(Voda) mobile during my stay in DR?

Many thanks,
MVN

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
I believe yes

I'm not sure, but I think if it's a 3-band phone you can use it here with the phone company 'orange'.

quaqualita

Dec 9, 2002
In England I am on Vodafone, couldn't use that in DR. Don't know if our Vodafone and your Voda are the same though. My phone is a tri-band phone, didn't make any difference though.

mvn

Jan 12, 2004
I am Vodafone UK regular GSM subscriber - not tri-band so, from above comments, it appears I will not be able to use my phone while there. Thanks for info!

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I have never taken my mobile to the DR but a friend of mine did last year. His was a tri-band phone and he rang the phone company to say where he was travelling.

When he got there it still didnt work. I don't think you will have much luck with yours. Hopefully someone will come up with a plan for you.

Last edited:

laura h

Oct 1, 2003
im on Tmobile and have a tri band phone. i used it with no problems (only the internet service was unavailable) i didnt have to tell them either.

i was beginning to think Tmobile were diabolical but it looks like they might be good for something at least !!

laura

BartC

Jan 23, 2004
Vodafone has roaming on Orange Dominicana, but you do need a triple band phone. Maybe you could rent one in your own country and use it here? Make sure the charger works at 110 volts too.

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
laura h said:
im on Tmobile and have a tri band phone. i used it with no problems (only the internet service was unavailable) i didnt have to tell them either.

i was beginning to think Tmobile were diabolical but it looks like they might be good for something at least !!

laura
That's interesting to hear because I was always under the impression that only GSM phones worked internationally. I was told by a friend that if I wanted to use my cell in DR, all I had to do was buy a SIM card in DR and swap it with mines. Has anybody actually tried the SIM card swap method?

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
JDub said:
That's interesting to hear because I was always under the impression that only GSM phones worked internationally. I was told by a friend that if I wanted to use my cell in DR, all I had to do was buy a SIM card in DR and swap it with mines. Has anybody actually tried the SIM card swap method?

The only way it can be done is if your phone has no locks! or is unlocked by someone. make sure that your phone is dual tri or quad bands or atleast (GSM 1900 MHZ) that's the frequency ORANGE DOMINICANA operates in this country.......

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
ERICKXSON said:
The only way it can be done is if your phone has no locks! or is unlocked by someone. make sure that your phone is dual tri or quad bands or atleast (GSM 1900 MHZ) that's the frequency ORANGE DOMINICANA operates in this country.......
Thanks for clearing that up. Unlocking a phone isn't illegal is it?

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
JDub said:
Thanks for clearing that up. Unlocking a phone isn't illegal is it?

If you are under contract with vodaphone and the phone was given to you yes however they don't need to know that nor is going to land you in jail.......unlock it and use any sim card......

the reasons are obvious that's why they lock their phones....

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Why all the fuzz? Go ahead and buy yourself a prepaid cellphone from Orange or whatever, works like a breeze, and calls to Europe are cheap. At least they were about a year or so ago.

The phone itself cost about 900 pesos, when 22 pesos bought a US dollar - or actually vice versa.