Hamaca Coral - Boca Chica during Holy Week

Abbold

Jan 15, 2004
I was planning to book my first trip to the DR at the Hamaca Coral on Boca Chica beach for 4/8-4/13, but then I started reading about what goes on during Holy Week (we would be arriving on a Thursday, and leaving on a Tuesday). No watersports, and I heard there are music restrictions? I know the Hamaca is supposed to have a private beach, but I'm wondering if anyone out there knows what it's really like there during Holy Week....my whole reason for wanting to go to this particular location was to get some peace and quiet. I don't want to go if it's going to be loud and overcrowded! Can someone please let me know?? And if it is crazy there during the week, what other tropical locations might be quieter??
Thanks very much!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It's a Hilton Now

A lot of people would recommend against an AI during Semana Santa (or AI's at all, e.g. in my opinion they suck) - since it is the one time per year that Dominicans with dough saved up decend on Boca Chica in droves including the Hamaca, Don Juan etc., and to some less experienced tourists it is a bit overwhelming. (now in my opinion a least having SOME locals where you are adds some colour but it isn't the same as staying in a small hotel and eating and entertaining yourself in the town itself)

The town is packed as well as is the public beach.

I have heard they restrict some activity during SS - it may have more to do with overcrowding (and lack of resources) than anything else and the risk of whacking the gobs of locals in the water with a boat or jetski. Politur and the army, navy , coast gurad are on the beaches as well to keep a semblance of order.

I go to Boca Chica a lot ( A LOT) and NEVER go during SS other than to arrive Good Friday afternoon since I can live with 1/2 of that day, and Sat/Sun, since on Monday they all go away like geese.

You may want to arrive on Easter Sunday if you can. Or leave on the Sunday before SS.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Well, on the north coast, it's a busy time at the beach! Busy with locals no matter where you go and any tourists just fade into the crowds. I was in Puerto Plata (well actually Costambar) during the end of Semana Santa. I travel there alot too and I've never seen the beach that crowded. Buses and cars where parked all the way up the street where we stayed and the garbage at the end of the day on the beach was nasty. Alot of foreigners just stayed away during that week or until the crowds died down. Any water activities are strictly prohibited due to the overwhelming crowds.

In the hotels in the areas, many tourists were complaining because of the massive crowds of Dominicans arriving daily. Yes, like Rick has stated, they save up all year round just for this week and school is on vacation for that week too. No joke, but some of the complaints were that the food was scarce at the buffets, and no one could get thru the crowds at the bars. Tourists were demanding their money back. They just picked a bad week to come and visit.

I'm so glad I never stay in a hotel!!!!!! I'm debating about going there during that time, but if I do, I'll do like last year.....hang out at my place in Costambar and kick out those Dominicans that try to use the pool on the apartment grounds. I usually don't mind, but they leave the pool a mess!!!!

My advice....pick the week after.

Maryanne

Abbold

Jan 15, 2004
Thank you both! You just kind of reconfirmed what I was already thinking. My friend is a teacher, so she only has off on certain days....it looks like we're waiting until school's out in June! It'll give us more time to look forward to it, right? :)

macal

Jan 11, 2004
Does this just occur during the weekend (fri 9 to mon 12 apr).

I will be there untill am 10 apr ............ am I safe. ( I can handle a day of what has been mentioned).

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
SS Clarification

macal said:
Does this just occur during the weekend (fri 9 to mon 12 apr).

I will be there untill am 10 apr ............ am I safe. ( I can handle a day of what has been mentioned).

Santa Semana begins this year on the Saturday April 3rd and ends on Easter Sunday the 10th.

It's the week OF Easter not STARTING on Easter. I am not sure what you mean that you will be there until am 10 Apr - starting from when? If it is the week starting the 3rd you'll be in the thick of SS.

I recommend arrival at the earliest on the 9th for a week. Or leave by the 2nd.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Don't Be Foolish

badpiece33 said:
Why do you want to come to the Dominican Republic? Why do I always read about people complaining about locals? It is their country people!!!! If you don't want to deal with the locals stay in your own country!!!
Badpiece

We won't miss you anyway;)

Try actually staying in Boca Chica during Santa Semana and then look at it from the perspective of a new tourist, you'd neither want to stay there nor come back. It's the wrong time for people looking for peace and quiet.

I have seen loads of "locals", in what would be considered "tourist" hotels and at times, their behaviour has been appalling (overcrowding rooms, loud music, food and drink all over the place, behaviour in the swimming pools that would make your eyeballs fall out, etc.) and if I wasn't experienced with it (and personally I really don't care) , I'd have been quite upset.

If I was a hotel operator I'd be leery of accepting reservations again in the future. And I know some hoteliers ahve that opinion and in fact refuse to book large local groups for just that reason, the hassle is not worth the money and they alienate regualr guests who won't come back.

The DR needs tourists' hard currency and the advice to the person originally asking the question was bang on - if you want to relax in relative isolation don't come during Semana Santa to a place like Boca Chica since you won't get it.

Last edited: