Ocean World - Fantastic!

toby

Dec 8, 2003
fantastic!

What a fantastic experience at Ocean World !
My daughter (12) and I swam with the Dolpins and found the experience beyond our expectations. This once in a life time experience is a must for those who have the same dream...to swim with the majestic dolphin.
Congratulations goes to the staff of Ocean World and the animal trainers who oversee the experience. The facility is still under construction with finishing dates of March 2004, but don't let this put you off as the dolphin encounter areas are complete and very easy to walk through and enjoy. Most impressive is that the facility is completely handicap accessible and the staff are on hand to help with those families who need the assistance.
Dexter the dolphin was my favourite and his body was warm to the touch and his playful tame manner is sure to capture your heart. While swimming with the dolphins you are given clear and precise instructions by the staff . You are outfitted with a qualtiy life jacket (yes they do come in plus sizes and petites and they had one for each of us who needed the odd size jacket) and if I had to do it again I would wear swimming shoes as the pool deck is roughed for traction and hard on the feet. An over hanging galley walk way is available for those of your party who wish to view you in the water and to take pictures.
**A large enphasis is placed on Ocean World staff who take pictures during your encounter. This is for VERY GOOD Reason. The photo quality is EXCELLENT and you may never have the opportunity again to be with these animals. The prices for the photoes are reasonable and the gift shop provided a shopping experience while the photes are being developed. My photo of my daughter and I with Dexter the Dolphin is living proof of the joyful experience we had at Ocean World.
Ocean World is the newest and will be the largest of its kind on the planet. The animals are breathtaking and the staff make the experience on the remember. If you can do only one thing on your next trip ...Ocean World is it! My next visit will be for the Shark Encounter! Can't Wait!
Cheers
Toby

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
How much are ocean world paying you to advertise them?

Only joking, thankss for the info beacuse i was wanting to go myself, and now i know all the info i needed, cheers!

toby

Dec 8, 2003
Ocean World is located in Cofresi which from my understanding is on the westside of Puerto Plata directly beside the Ramada hotel complex.(hope I have the hotel right) From Playa Dorada hotel complexes by bus it took approx. 30 minutes to cross the city. Ocean World and thier booking system is such that they pick you up in a very large and comfortable tour bus and after your encounter bring you home . You are placed in groups (either english, french or spanish) and your guide gives you a tour, a sea lion exhibition demonstration , aquarium tank look-see, a view of the shark encounter pool and then on to the dolphin encounter.
I booked from home on the advice of the users of this forum, my family had to change our booking while we were in Puerto Plata and Sunquest did the changes for us with no hassles. The tour reps at the hotel can book your encounter so talk to them first thing once you are there.
Sorry if this sounds like an advertisment...did not mean to offend just to inform. Five years ago I would not have been physically able to have had the experience of swimming with dolphins. My enthusiasism at having a renewed life is what drives me to experience those moments that you may never have again. Trust me when I say , it can all be taken away from you in a "heart" beat....enjoy and explore and discover before its to late!

Hel

Aug 4, 2003
Thank you all so much for all the wonderful information and links for Ocean World.

My boyfriend and I are coming to DR in May and will definately be going to Ocean World, it looks amazing. Does anyone know if it will be complete by then? I hope so!

Does anyone know of any other such attractions? We absoloutly love animals and would not want to miss any amazing opportunities.

Thanks. :cool:

SPRINGFEVER

Jan 20, 2004
HOW DO YOU BOOK ONLINE

I went to ocean world's web site and was confused by the pricing ie; observer or different prices for different parts. Is there a one price for all? :bunny: Snow Bunny (coming if Feb.)

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I understand the pricing is a little confusing, since we have so many programs to offer and because some portions of the park are still under construction.

Right now:

Dolphin Swim $120
Dolphin Encounter $75
1/2 Sea Lion Encounter/Snorkel Reef Package $55
Observer $15 (must be with someone who booked program above)

We also have a combo where you take the sea lion/snorkel reef package and combine it with either dolphin encounter or dolphins swim. Just add the two program prices together and subtract $5 special discount

($125 sea lion package/dolphin encounter)
($170 sea lion package/dolphin swim)

In April or May (date yet to be announced) - everything will change. Park will open for admission. $55

This will include dolphin show, sea lion show, bird show, swimming in tiger grotto (other side of glass of course), lunch, and transportation from nearby hotels. This price will not include dolphin swim/encounter or sea lion encounter.

Pre-booked Dolphin Swim will then be $145 but will include admission.
Pre-booked Dolphin Encounter will then be $100 but will include admission
Pre- booked Sea Lion Encounter $80 but will include admission but not snorkel reef.

All programs will be available to buy in the park separately if you only want to purchase admission and see first.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion. You can e-mail me directly at stefanmeister@ocean-world.info if you have any other questions.

Cheers.

Last edited:
S

Stephen

A little off the subject..........

...........do they have special prices for dominicans, residents etc. or any kind of mutliuse passes?

kirstyb

Jan 11, 2004
I have just been and looked at the ocean world website and it says the Dolphin Swim encounter is only available to guests in certain hotels. Do you know what hotels these are as this is something I have always wanted to do and wouldn't mind the trip from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata for this kind of experience. Can anybody shed any light on this, we are staying in the Sirenis Tropical in June.:cool:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi kirstyb,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

I can assure you that if you are willing to get from Punta Cana to Ocean World that they will be pleased to accommodate you by selling you the program of your choice.

BUT

You should know that the drive is 8+ hours one way which means that it would probably be a three day excursion including travel time UNLESS you want to charter a plane PUJ - POP - PUJ. It could then be done in one day.

Conchman, who posts here, is an employee of Ocean World. Find a post of his (scroll up the page) and click on the PM or EMAIL buttons to send him a message. I am sure he will help you.

Good luck.

Gregg

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
We have expanded our transportation routes to cover all hotels on the North Coast from Luperon to Rio San Juan. Bus tranportation is included for hotels in Maimon (RIU), Cofresi, or Playa Dorada. For hotels outside this area, there is a $5 or $10 charge for the bus, depending on the area. I apologize if the web site is not updated - we are working on completely redoing the web site at the moment.

Dan Kaslow

Feb 11, 2004
Ocean World - additional info requested

We've made reservations for Ocean World online. Is pickup by bus the only option. What does the sea lion encounter + 1/2 day trip include. The $55 rate seems awfully pricey.

Dan

tired_boy

tired_boy said:
How much are ocean world paying you to advertise them?

Only joking, thankss for the info beacuse i was wanting to go myself, and now i know all the info i needed, cheers!

I havent seen a pic of you yet in the Media Gallery, perhaps you do not have a camera and just have a computer.

You answer posts like your name suggests a tired little 12 year old boy.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The $55 for our Sea Lion Encounter/Snorkel Reef package seems expensive?

Included is:

* Round trip bus transportation from and to your hotel
* Sea Lion Encounter where you can touch and pet sea lions. Get a kiss, great photo opportunities, educational, etc..
* Snorkelling in our tropical reef pool filled with thousands of tropical fish.
* Lunch
* Observation of the Dolphin Swim and Encounter programs

Booked separately, this package is valued at $110.

toby

Dec 8, 2003
Here is the deal...

Your trip to the DR and your holiday are more then just a financial investment. $55 dollars for you and each of your family members is a small price to pay to experience Ocean World. Just ask yourself this question...if i had a heart attack tomorrow would I have regrets that I did not take the time or spend the money on being with my family, learning new things, sharing my wealth, travelling.....spend the money and go have some fun! As I said in a previous post ...it can all be taken away in a "heart" beat...
...from someone who knows
Toby

robbo1

Oct 5, 2003
ocean world

Just got back from the DR last week, what a Fantastic time me and the other half had. I enjoyed Ocean world but I was saddened to hear from the trainers that these Dolphins were caught from the wild around the waters of Cuba. Surely in this day and age there are enough Dolphins already in captivity without stealing them! That was my only concern but it was definetly our best holiday ever.
robbo1

Neon8

Aug 3, 2003
www.sosuacondos.com
handicap access great

Hats off to ocean world for making the place very handicap friendly. My family visited last week including my Mother who had a stroke 2 years ago. We signed her up for the sea lion encounter hoping it would go ok. They brought her a wheel chair and the whole place is full of ramps. Our guide pushed her all over the park. She was able to do the the sea lion thing and the people at the encounter went out of their way to make it easy for her. The snorkle reef is also accessable if you can handle a stair or two. I cant say enough praise for this place . We had a wonderfull time and will definately be returning. I cant wait to see it when the whole thing opens.

Hel

Aug 4, 2003
Good to hear so many good reports about Ocean World! Does anyone know when it will be completed? I'm coming to DR on 10 May for 2 weeks and dont want to miss any of it! Are the tigers there yet?