guzman inheritance

odalys

Jan 20, 2004
Hello everyone!

My family also swears they are heirs to the guzman inheritance. I have a whole bunch of documents linking them to Jose E. Guzman. My mother is planning a trip to Spain, she needs more information regarding the city and bank where everything is located. I agree with Leslie that all the families should get together and try to put an end to this mystery. Apparently, this inheritance is been lingering around for over 100 years!

Please if Leslie can get back to me and give me some more information on this matter.

Odalys

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Who is Leslie?

This is a difficult case that has been unsolved for years. I have a close friend whose family has evidence that they are in fact in line for that inheritance but have not been able to come up with the one thing the bankers/authorities are looking for.

Your mom needs to hire a lawyer in Spain who w/ do the investigating for her. Aside from that, I don't think there isn't much else you can do.

I will tell you one thing though, the lawyers involved in my friend's case asked them not to divulge information concerning the case to anyone. I think that's very good advice. Work with what you have and best of luck to you.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Quote from Fabio Guzman (DR lawyer):

This is a recurring story. My father, a Guzm?n and a lawyer, was contacted again and again for years by distant relatives, including an archbishop, requesting his help in investigating the inheritance. He never paid any attention to it and always believed it was scam by some Guzm?ns to get some easy money from relatives for free trips to Switzerland.

When I became a lawyer, it was my turn. A group of cousins from Salcedo, Moca, Santiago and La Vega approached me and asked me to investigate. I told them I didn't believe the story was true but that if they wished I would retain Swiss counsel to do some preliminary work. Of course, they would have to pay the legal fees in Switzerland. I would not charge anything for my services. They accepted and I proceeded to write the following letter:

February 6, 1992

Dr. XXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
3001 BERN, SWITZERLAND.

Dear Dr. XXXXX:

A report from the Spanish news agency EFE has appeared in the local press indicating the existence of an unclaimed inheritance in Switzerland belonging to some members of the Guzm?n family here in the Dominican Republic.

According to the EFE report, a copy of which you will find enclosed, a bank employee has confirmed to the news agency the existence of a bank account, opened in 1865 by Jos? Eugenio Guzm?n, with a current balance of over a billion dollars. The bank is identified as the Swiss Volkbank in Bern and the account number is given as 284-5123-32z-0148.

We have a group of clients here in the Dominican Republic who claim to be descendants of Jos? Eugenio Guzm?n who are interested in finding out the truth of the press reports with the intention of claiming their share of the inheritance. They have asked us to contact and retain Swiss legal counsel to look into this matter.

We would like your law firm to make the necessary inquiries to ascertain the truth of the press report and, in case the estate really exists, to give us a legal opinion with regards to the possibility of our clients claiming part of the inheritance.

Please let us know as soon as possible if your firm is willing to handle this case and what the legal fees would be. You may send your correspondence to ...... or contact us by fax (....) or telephone (....).

Very truly yours,

Fabio J. Guzm?n

A few days later I got a call from Dr. XXXX requesting a retainer to begin his investigation at $200 to $250 an hour. I relayed the information to my cousins and never heard from them again. Case closed.

Leslie

Jan 13, 2004
Guzman-

Odalys,
I would be please to help you but it really sounds like were in the same boat. Same linking to this person and everything. I'm in Madrid, Spain... The only thing I can really tell you is that i would like if all these family members get togeather with their papers to claim this money. I, will write to you a little later I have to get back to work. We all should work together.

Leslie

odalys

Jan 20, 2004
Guzman

Leslie,

My mother and I are planning a trip to Madrid for the First Week of February. My mother would like to know if you can help us locate a hotel and a lawyer when we get there? If I give you my phone number here in NJ can you call me? Or if you give me a number where I can reach you I can call you. But I definitely agree, that all Guzman's should get together and claim this money before Spain and Switzerland get any richer off of this money.

Please let me know if you can assist us in getting to Spain. I would appreciate the help.

Thanks for getting back. I will wait for your response.

Leslie

Jan 13, 2004
Guzman-

Odalys ,
I'm back now if you want please give me your number and I will call you.

Leslie

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Odalys and Leslie,

How do you know the funds exist?

If you are convinced that they exist in Spain and/or Switzerland, you should retain reputable law firms in those countries to determine, first, if those funds, supposedly unclaimed since the 19th century, have not become state property by now.

If the legal opinion is that they have not, then you should proceed to instruct them to investigate the existence of the inheritance through the appropriate banking authorities in each country.

I don't believe the investigation will take too long. After all, multibillion dollar accounts are not abundant anywhere.

I estimate legal fees would be around $5000 US per country including the investigation phase.

Good luck!

Leslie

Jan 13, 2004
Fabio, aren't you related to the Guzman's as well??? From what I've been reading in the thread above, is that your family also is involved in finding out. So, why are you doughting us for?? If your family has done research in the past???

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
how does that saying go....

Leslie said:
Fabio, aren't you related to the Guzman's as well??? From what I've been reading in the thread above, is that your family also is involved in finding out. So, why are you doughting us for?? If your family has done research in the past???

a word to the wise.....

That was very good advice you just got. You should pay attention to it.

odalys

Jan 20, 2004
FAbio,

If your family is involved as well, what Leslie and I are trying to do is to get everyone together to try to tied all theloose ends together and put and end to this. If Everyone cooperates and a person from each family member represents the family everyone can chip in for the investigation and each family is represented. This way no one gets cheated.

You gave very good advice. But who has $5000 us dollars! Thats why I think everyone should get together and work together to put and end to this.