Coming To Puerto Plata Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPRINGFEVER

Jan 20, 2004
MYSELF AND A FRIEND ARE COMING IN FEB. TO STAY AT JACK TAR VILLAGE. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT. WE ARE WOMEN IN OUR 40'S LOOKING FOR ALOT OF SUN AND FUN. WHERE ARE THE BEST TOURS, RUM RUNS AND SUCH? I WANT TO GO WHERE THE VEHICLES ARE SAFE AND GUIDES THAT WE CAN TRUST. ALSO WHERE TO BUY THE BEST JEWELRY CHEAP. SNORKELING, IS THERE PLACES TO GO THAT YOU DON'T NEED TO GO BY BOAT OR IF SO WHAT BOAT? CANT WAIT TO GET OUT OF THIS COLD!!:cool:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Why Are You SHOUTING!?

SPRINGFEVER said:
I WANT TO GO WHERE THE VEHICLES ARE SAFE AND GUIDES THAT WE CAN TRUST.
I think then you're talking Bermuda or Grand Caymen here. The DR? Safe vehicles? What a riot. Well maybe technically there are a few vehicles taht are safe. If they're parked. In a locked garage. With no Dominican driving it. Ever.

Oh, 'hello' by the way!

Tom (aka XR)

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Hi and welcome. Can't help you much with some of your questions, but if the safe vehicles you are concerned about are the "tour" vehicles, you shouldn't worry-reputable tours have good safe vehicles. Real good snorkeling would be a day trip to maybe Punta Rucia. There are other areas that are good also. You can snorkel from the beach in Sosua out to the reef, it's OK, but it isn't spectacular.

BTW, that was Tom's way of saying welcome and subtly letting you know that posting in ALL CAPS is considered shouting on the net. You will know what he meant about the vehicles when you get here and get out of the resort. I'm sure others will help with your questions. Hope you have a good time.

Bob H.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
We stayed in the Jack Tar 6 years ago, it might have changed a bit but we really enjoyed it.

Snorkelling - you wont be able to snorkel at Playa Dorada (well you could literally , but you wont see much), the sea there tends to whip up the sand from the sea-bed a bit. If you go out onto the main road you can get transport to Sosua for a good price. The snorkelling here is far far better. Take some bread and a banana to feed the fish.

Jewellery, i cant help there, other than by saying - if you are going to buy cheap jewellery off the beach sellers make sure you do a bit of haggling with the price.

If you go into Puerta PLata, Sosua or Cabarete at night you will have a good laugh as well. Enjoy yourself!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Pretty much what has been said except to say you can book a car and driver

and be safe in that fashion. There is a guy called Wilson that has been used by several of the posters here with very happy results.

I will get you his number if you are interested.

As for jewelry? There are a couple of stores in the area of Playa Dorada, I think Herrisons(?) is one of them. In the town proper there is an Amber Museum that might give you some ideas.

There is a poster on these boadrs that goes by the name of Jan, that makes and sells jewelry in Santo Domingo, so maybe you can email or PM to her...Jewelry is like food and cars and women, lots of different styles and tastes....

The only thing I would say is that you avoid staying at the Flamenco in Playa Dorada, since it is undergowing some pretty awful infrastructure problems at this moment...

HB

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
As Hillbilly said, several of us have used Wilson Guzman as a driver. He is located in Sosua as a taxi driver, but does a lot of freelance driving too. He is careful and speaks fairly good english.

His cell number is 1-429-2110 (may not have to dial the 1 from Puerta Plata).

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Sometimes I find some really nice costume jewelry at the supermarket Messon. Hop into a cab and they will take you there. You can stock up on any alcohol and coffee to take home with you while you're there too.

Also, check out Casa Del Gift Shop (go past Casa Nelson, make a right at the first set of lights, and it's up the street). Anything that you find for sale at Playa Dorada or from a beach vendor, you will most likely find in this store at a much cheaper price.

Happy shopping!

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Hillbilly said:

The only thing I would say is that you avoid staying at the Flamenco in Playa Dorada, since it is undergowing some pretty awful infrastructure problems at this moment...

HB

Whats going off there at the moment Hillbilly and why? Any idea when they will be finished?

candu2

Jan 7, 2004
I stayed at the Jack-Tar in OCt-Nov 2003. I used both a taxi from the resort and the local bus for transportation. Fifteen dollars U.S. was enough to take a taxi into Puerto Plata and back. We had the driver take us around to see the sites as well as do some shopping. The local bus cost 20 pesos and seemed safe enough as DR vehicles go. As mentioned previously the water is to murky at Playa Dorada to snorkel. Sosua is better for snorkeling. There were some people selling jewelry at the resort but the taxi driver took us to a lesss expensive place in POP. As for partying there is a bar 1/4 mile west of the Playa Dorada complex called Cafe Cito that has pub crawls every Wednesday and Saturday.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2002
Harrisons is definitely the place for the best jewellery, but it doesn't come cheap.

Then again, how can you expect to get the best if you are only prepared to pay low prices? Best and cheap do not go together.

daddy-0

Oct 2, 2003
Get out of the complex and get to Sosua. From there you can snorkel right in the bay, or book something with NorthCoast, they have some snorkel excursions in the area. From here you can also book tours with the large tour companies at half the price you would pay in the complex, exchange your $$ at a much better rate and experience this little tourist town that many of us consider as close to paradise that you can get. Heard good things about Wilson if you want to arrange your own tour or possibly your transportation to and from the complex. Whatever you decide just make sure that you get out and explore the country side, there is so much more than life behind the steel gates of Playa Dorada

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thank you janh

Here is Wilson's home phone, and yes, you will have to use the 1- before either of the numbers: Phone 571 1545, his sister in law Marta usually answers it.

Next?

HB

SPRINGFEVER

Jan 20, 2004
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP

I WAS SCREAMING AS I WAS IN THE AREA ABOUT 11YRS AGO AND WENT ON THE RUM RUN FROM HELL!!! HOW YOU SAY "LOCO" DRIVER!!! I THANK YOU ALL FOR SO MUCH GOOD ADVICE AND ANYMORE IS SO APPRECIATED. I HAVE GOTTEN EMAILS FROM OTHERS WHO WANT ME TO LET THEM KNOW HOW IT WENT WHEN I GET BACK AND WILL BE HAPPY TO DO SO.I WILL CALL WILSON. AND LOOK SO FORWARD TO THIS EXPERIENCE. ANY MORE GOOD IDEAS? WE HAVE PUB CRAWLS IN MY TOWN ALSO. BUT WE JUST GOT SNOW AGAIN!! CANT WAIT!:bunny: SNOW BUNNY

Last edited:

SPRINGFEVER

Jan 20, 2004
HORSE BACK RIDING

I AM WONDERING IF THERE IS ANY HORSE BACK RIDING CLOSE TO JACK TAR. MAYBE RIDING ON A BEACH? OR AM MOST LIKELY DREAMING? WE GOT 8 INCHES OF SNOW TODAY!!!:bunny:

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT YOUR HOTEL DOES 1 HOUR PER WEEK FREE HORSE RIDING ALONG PLAYA DORADA BEACH. (why is everyone shouting?)
Anyway if this is not good enough, riding trips are organised, and can be bought on the beach (or in your hotel for double the price, but the same trip).

bbforbis

Oct 3, 2003
Occidental Hotels

Some personal advice. We just returned from staying a week at the Occidental Hotels. We booked at the Grande Flamenco, near Jack Tar.

As Hillbilly mentioned, the hotel chain seems to be suffering from internal problems which unfortunately have a direct effect on their guests. Be sure to get ALL that is promised by your travel agent and/or tour group in writing.

Have your expectations in order, don't expect to eat seafood everyday, don't expect that your rooms will be great, be prepared for lines for everything. Although we did not stay at Jack Tar, we met others who did and were very disappointed. Two were repeat customers to the resort, and stated that they would never go back. IMO, Occidental seems to be running things on a shoestring and is trying to get by with the bare minimum for their guests.

Take some time, and venture off of the resort, try a couple of restaurants that are not part of the resort, (El Manguito being one), and you will have a good time.

Jack Tar has a nice location, but , from what I saw of it, and heard of it, it is in need of a major retrofit.

Dec 9, 2002
I always stay at Playa Dorada, but I have never seen horses on the beach there. I was under the impression that they had stopped them riding on the beach because of the mess they make.

bbforbis

Oct 3, 2003
Horseback Riding

You know I really dont' know....I do know that we were promised a free horseback ride...(didn't happen by the way), what I do know is that at the Flamenco, near the large pool, there was a little hut advertising horseback rides.

Never talked or seen anyone riding though...

tonybaillini

Jan 26, 2004
www.artisan98.com
I have been to Sosua once and will be there again on February 17th for 2 weeks...you can snorkel right off of Playa Sosua without needing a boat although many tourists take the catamaran tours to the reef just off the beach...this is the best beach around I have been told and lots of vendors there to purchase all your jewlery.
Make sure you head over to Britannia in Sosua for a Cerveza or Rum, the owners are friends of ours...Canadians (Calgarians)...Barb and Linden...
We may see you around...

SPRINGFEVER

Jan 20, 2004
THAT'S REALLY NEGATIVE ON THE OCCIDENTAL

I FIND IT BIZZARE THAT ANYTHING COULD BE THAT BAD UNLESS THEY ARE GOING UNDER. THIS SHOULD BE THEIR BEST TIME OF YEAR. HAVE OTHER PEOPLE HEARD THIS ALSO? CONSIDERING I BOOKED A NON-REFUNDABLE!!!:confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.