Re: Las Galeras Road Trip, El Marinique

chickfeeder

Sep 14, 2003
Re: Las Galeras Road Trip, El Marinique

Having just read the post by D&D highlighting their perceived shortcomings of the El Marinique hotel in Las Galeras, I feel it only fair to counter with my own experience of staying there last September. I was travelling alone, and in the area for its natural beauty and to dive the Cabo. I contacted Andy B at short notice and although the hotel was effectively closed for the low season and he was otherwise occupied in developing the samanaonline.com website whilst Nicole was away in Canada, he still reopened especially for me. I was the only person staying there for the 5 days of my visit and although the restaurant was closed, breakfast was still served by Andy, and I spent many an hour shooting the breeze with him on his verandah whilst taking in the stunning sea views. I ate mostly ?chez Raphaela? on the beach, really the most awesome seafood, and got to talk to many of the local Dominicans, nicer people you could not hope to meet. Agreed the accommodation is not comparable to a Hilton for example, but neither is the price though the hospitality and location are still first class.
I think you must remember the DR is a third world country and in my opinion Andy does a good job looking after his guests bearing in mind the logistical problems involved in running a hotel in a relatively remote location.
If your expectations are for 5 star pampered luxury and gourmet cuisine, I think you?re altogether on the wrong island pal.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at El Marinique, getting to know Andy together with his resident dogs Tom and Jerry. Should I ever be in Las Galeras again, I would have no hesitation in staying there again.

HF, London.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is more like it

I can certainly relate to this post and it reflects what my wife and I experienced there....

It is a cool place to hang out.

HB