weather in DR

E

Elena /Russia/

Hi everybody!
Could you please explane me when in DR the wheather is good and when not? Some people says now it is the best, but while I've been there from Jan, 03. till Jan, 15. almost everyday it was raining! I've been near San Pedro de Macoris.
What happens in DR in summer? When rains starts and when do they finish? I think about going there in April, is it a good time?
Thanks!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
There are lots of threads on the subject already explaing the 'rainy' seasons and waht to expect.

Most days a great. Best chance of rain usually is from late afternoon to early evening and then again early morning just before and after sunrise. And that holds any time of year.

Do a search, and you'll find much more.

Tom (aka XR)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
This has been an unusual winter. I suppose the explanation is that it has also been a very bad winter up north. While normally, during the winter the temperature drops slightly but the sun shines brightly and there are blue skies... this year we have had more than the normal share of overcast days. I can only speak for Santo Domingo, though. Here in Santo Domingo not that it has been raining much in the last month, but we miss the usual sunny skies.

Probably someone else can come up with a better explanation for the unusual weather we have had so far this year.

This is what normal weather is about...
http://dr1.com/travel/expect/weather.shtml

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Your explanation is fine, Dolores. Bad winters in the north means that more cold fronts make it this far south bringing us clouds and rain. This year the rain seems to be concentrating on Puerto Plata and Sosua. Samana has only gotten a fraction of the bad weather POP and Sosua have gotten.

This winter, as Dolores said, has not been typical.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Ken said:
Sorry it just sounded funny.

That link from Dolores was very helpful, what it says for May / June is very true. Whilst these months are 'historically' the wettest i have always had excellent weather when i have been on vacation. Either i am very lucky or the worlds weather and seasons are all out of sync! They are in England.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
tired-boy, gotten is the past participle of get. Probably sounded funny because you didn't know that. Add it to your vocabulary. ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ken said:
tired-boy, gotten is the past participle of get. Probably sounded funny because you didn't know that. Add it to your vocabulary. ;)

Ken - "gotten" is obsolete in British English, it died out in Britain at some stage between the settlement of North America - where it is still in common usage - and the present day. tired_boy is a Brit and that's why it sounded strange to him.

Anyway back to topic: the cool weather has lasted a long time this winter, the days are still on a par with a nice Mediterranean summer's day but the nights are cool enough for even our aircon-mad neighbours to have stopped refrigerating their house at night!

Chiri

Last edited:

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Heehee

Thanks for the help. I will add that to my vocabulary, thats 10 words i know now. Another few years and i might manage to write the first page of a book.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You have already got got

Chirimoya said:
Ken - "gotten" is obsolete in British English, it died out in Britain at some stage between the settlement of North America

Got is both the past tense and past participle of get so gotten is described as "another p.p. of 'get'" ( like the cousin that nobody will acknowledge but still exists).