For PJT, Sharron, Hillbilly and others...

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I responded to the Driving from Santiago to Bavaro post with this update. I'm creating a new post because I thing you guys didn't get my update. Maybe this way you will get it.

+++
O.K. here is the summary of what I did.

I OPTED FOR THE BUS. (best idea if you don't want to get lost, it's easy to get lost).

I was told that a Metro leaves for S.D. at 5 A.M. (NOT). I got there at 4:30 a.m. and the ticket agents didn't get there till 6 a.m. bus left at 6:30 a.m. Got to S.D. around 8:45. Took a taxi to parque enriquillo (150 pesos). Took an expreso to Higuey at around 9:30 a.m. (100 pesos). Got to Higuey around 1 p.m. Sat down at a little cafeteria next to the expreso stop to eat lunch (150 pesos). I was told that they had voladoras going to bavaro every 15 minutes. I then decided to talk to a cab driver standing by waiting for passengers. Asked him how much he would charge me to go to Breezes. He asked 900 I managed to bring it down to 650 (didn't want to bother with Voladoras, bad experience on the Expreso from S.D. to Higuey. This gentleman with a foul underarm smell sat next to me).

We left for the hotel at around 1:40 p.m.

Now here is something that throws off the locals. This man was supposedly an experienced taxi driver and he told me he never heard of Breezes. I later found out that this was due to the fact that the hotel was previously LTI Sol De Plata. We got to the hotel around 3:45 p.m. this is because of the hotel name change. Everywhere we stopped no one knew where the heck was Breezes. We finally went to Melia Caribe and they told us Breezes was the old LTI Sol De Plata then the taxi driver knew exactly where to go.

In total this trip took me about 9 hours. I WAS LITERALLY DEAD when I got to the resort. HOLLY CRAP. This is someting I would NEVER NEVER NEVER do. I wish to say the experience was a good one but it wasn't. And I highly advise folks not to go to Bavaro this route. You are better off going to POP and catching a charter to Punta Cana. Something like this is offered by Air Santo Domingo (I later found out).

Thank you all who posted suggestions.

BTW - I will stick to the North Coast from now on. This is where I mostly went for AIs. I wanted a change of scenery - reason why I went to Bavaro.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Because...

I live in Santiago.

But you are right. If I were to fly into P.C. it will save me the trouble of at least getting there. I would just have to worry about getting to Santiago.