Sunquest Compensation/ Cabarete Bay Hotel

palmtree

Dec 20, 2003
Hi Everyone,

I was offered compensation by Sunquest this morning. 3 options 1/cancel with full refund 2/ upgrade to another resort with an additional cost 3/ receive a free week stay at the resort with all expenses paid except airfare.

The sunquest rep said that everything is up and running except the larger pool. This is blocked off. You have to walk by this pool to get to the restaurant. Since we spend most of our time at the beach we're opting for the free week at the resort

Has anyone else heard from sunquest?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
That Depends

Hlywud said:
Airfare will cost you almost as much as a package holiday

There a LOT of stuff out of Toronto where a package is in the $1200-$1400 CDN range and you see the flights air-only to say POP or LRM for $200-$300.

It's a shame the OP didn't say how much extra (for a differenet location that was complete and up to snuff) - $100? $500? If I was anticipating my vacation for $100 extra I don't think I'd tank the whole thing and get a refund.

If it isn't so awful, in terms of non-completion, and one missing pool in a resort on a beach ( which implies a lot of available swimmable water IMHO) I'd do #3- go anyway, pay only the flight and live with the shortfalls and make a few bucks back in the process.

Failed promises/under construction resorts - reason # 4,589 to not stay in AI's when travelling.

palmtree

Dec 20, 2003
Airfare

I agree .....you can get some decent fares for flights to the Dominican. We got this as a sell off @$611 Canadian.

One closed pool isn't going to make much difference to our holiday. If it turns out that there is still major construction with mess everywhere then we'll take lots of pictures to present to Sunquest upon our return.

I am looking forward to escaping the cold Ontario winter for a week.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Pretty Please

Use Dominican Republic or DR rather than "the Dominican".

Thank you.

Seemes to me Sun Quest is getting a lot of complaints these days.

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
palmtree, if you read the previous posts, you know there were some very positive things said about the hotel, the beach, and Cabarete. If you have a type A personality you might have problems with the fact everything is not pristine, otherwise you should have a very enjoyable vacation.

As far as taking pictures to present to Sunquest, I don't understand why you would do that. They offered you a full refund or other options. Seems to me that since you didn't accept you are now on your own.

Relax, enjoy the trip and the vacation. It will sure beat the weather you leave behind.

palmtree

Dec 20, 2003
Re: Pretty Please

Hillbilly said:
Use Dominican Republic or DR rather than "the Dominican".

Thank you.

Seemes to me Sun Quest is getting a lot of complaints these days.

HB

Hi , hope I didn't offend you. We shorten the United States to "The States) as well. I will remember this tip in the future.

palmtree

Dec 20, 2003
Ken said:
palmtree, if you read the previous posts, you know there were some very positive things said about the hotel, the beach, and Cabarete. If you have a type A personality you might have problems with the fact everything is not pristine, otherwise you should have a very enjoyable vacation.

As far as taking pictures to present to Sunquest, I don't understand why you would do that. They offered you a full refund or other options. Seems to me that since you didn't accept you are now on your own.

Relax, enjoy the trip and the vacation. It will sure beat the weather you leave behind.

Hi,

We've accepted our offer from Sunquest based on the fact that they said the only problem with the resort is the pool. I work in the travel industry and this is standard procedure. As long as I don't have to cook and there is a beach I'll be happy. Looking forward to a week in the sun

bbforbis

Oct 3, 2003
Sunquest

We just returned a couple of days ago, and booked our trip throught Sunquest.....word of advice. Do not count on ANYTHING that Sunquest promises. It happened to us, many, many things that they promised did not happen, after arguing with them and the Sunquest rep refusing to deal with us in person.....they finally wore us down enough that we gave up & decided to not let them ruin our trip.

They were of absolutly no help in assisting us with relocating us to another room, or the other six that we traveled with. Leaking roofs, moldy bathrooms, showers that did not work, twin beds not queens as promised, I could go on and on.

I would just be very careful about anything that they promise.

palmtree

Dec 20, 2003
Re: Sunquest

bbforbis said:
We just returned a couple of days ago, and booked our trip throught Sunquest.....word of advice. Do not count on ANYTHING that Sunquest promises. It happened to us, many, many things that they promised did not happen, after arguing with them and the Sunquest rep refusing to deal with us in person.....they finally wore us down enough that we gave up & decided to not let them ruin our trip.

They were of absolutly no help in assisting us with relocating us to another room, or the other six that we traveled with. Leaking roofs, moldy bathrooms, showers that did not work, twin beds not queens as promised, I could go on and on.

Thanks for the heads-up. Did you stay at the Cabarete Bay Hotel or another one that Sunquest promotes?

palmtree

Dec 20, 2003
Re: Sunquest

bbforbis said:

Be sure to speak to your travel agents about these problems.

bbforbis

Oct 3, 2003
Sunquest..

We stayed at the Occidental Grande Flamenco. Every day there was a line of people at the front desk complaining. Because we spent much of our time golfing, we met a number of others who stayed at other Occidental Hotels, as well as others who booked their trip with Sunquest (some who stayed at non-Occidental Hotels).

All had the same complaints with Sunquest. Promises, Promises, Promises....none happened. We actually did not hear one thing nice about Sunquest the eight days that we were there.

I would just be cautious.....get it in writing. They promise a lot, and once they have your money.....bye bye, not their problem anymore.

bbforbis

Oct 3, 2003
Question for Palmtree

Just curious, what was the reason that Sunquest felt the need to offer compensation?

Is this your first trip to the Dominican Republic?

palmtree

Dec 20, 2003
Re: Question for Palmtree

bbforbis said:
Just curious, what was the reason that Sunquest felt the need to offer compensation?

Is this your first trip to the Dominican Republic?

Sunquest has had a lot of inquiries about this resort since people started posting messages on this website. I work in an agency and have called Sunquest about this resort and the state of the refurbishment. Many of the agents in the office have also called Sunquest about the resort. Each time Sunquest has an inquiry, it is logged. They know exactly who has called/how many times and when

Apparently they've had a lot of calls about the resort so they're aware that we know that perhaps some of the resort is still in a state of repair. According to Sunquest, the only part of the resort that hasn't been completed is the larger pool so they've decided to offer their patrons different options. We've decided on the free week since I can get reasonably priced airfare. I'm not to concerned about the pool not being finished. The last time I was in the DR I only used the pool once. I spent most of my time on the beach and in the ocean.

Last time in the DR, I stayed at the Jack Tar Village in Puerto Plata. I really liked that resort but it's an adults only and we have kids in our party so we can't stay there this time.

I only have two more days in this cold weather till we're off.

bbforbis

Oct 3, 2003
Off to the Sun!

If Sunquest has received a lot of press about this hotel, as well as others, it makes sense that they realize that DR1 has some inside information with regard to potential guests staying at the resorts that they promote.

Have a good time, I'll be very interested in your comments when you return.

TDQ

Jan 3, 2004
which resort?

i couldn't follow what resort bbforbis was saying was not great.
i hope it's not cabarete bay/estrella del mar/azzurro. i really could care less about a pool when the ocean is steps away but clean rooms are a must.
TDQ

palmtree

Dec 20, 2003
Re: which resort?

TDQ said:
i couldn't follow what resort bbforbis was saying was not great.
i hope it's not cabarete bay/estrella del mar/azzurro. i really could care less about a pool when the ocean is steps away but clean rooms are a must.
TDQ

The resort bbforbis was talking about was the Occidental Grand Flamenco.

TDQ

Jan 3, 2004
thanks

thanks for straighting me out. we leave on the 31st (5 more days!!!!!!!!!!} i keep checking the weather and hoping the moonsoons are gone! have fun palmtree see if you can keep us posted from down there. i'd like to know how far along the construction is.
TDQ

guy_davis

Jan 3, 2004
www.guydavis.ca
Please post trip reports when you get back.

I'm scheduled to arrive at the Cabarete Bay Hotel on March 3. I've found these forums indispensible for figuring out what is actually going on. My travel agent called yesterday offering to move us to a different resort due to the construction. The other options (Superclubs Breezes, Punta Goleta, and Parisio del Sol) don't seem as appealing or are farther away. I plan on taking some kite-surfing lessons at Kite Beach and this hotel is walking distance away I'm told.

So to all those in this forum who are currently staying at the hotel, please post a trip report when you get a chance. I'd really like to learn the extent of the construction and whether it warrants switching accomodation.

Also, can anyone confirm that this hotel is still offering its guests free trips and use of all the facilities at the sister hotel in Sosua (Sosua Bay Hotel I think?)

Thanks again.