travel agent

LAURIES

Jan 20, 2004
Hi,

I wrote earlier, but still trying to get more information.

Does anyone know of a travel agent in Santo Domingo?

I guess that I will be taking a bus from the SD Airport to La Romana.

I am a little nervous, so I would like to prepare for this now instead of doing it there.

thanks for your help!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Why do you need a travel agent? Don't be nervous. People there are very helpful.

Here is the link for Caribe Tours. These are airconditioned buses that travel all over the country.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
North and South Though Right?

Anna Coniglio said:
Why do you need a travel agent? Don't be nervous. People there are very helpful.

Here is the link for Caribe Tours. These are airconditioned buses that travel all over the country.

Don't Metro and Caribe limit their routes from Santo Domingo to the north - Santiago and POP etc.?

SD to LRM there's nothing at all, other than the SD - Higuey bus and not from the airport.

SDQ Airport to LRM city, taxi or the horrible guagua system, not for rookie tourists.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I was looking at the time table Rick and you are right as usual, I can't find La Romana on their list. Sorry Lauries

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
No Sweat

Anna Coniglio said:
I was looking at the time table Rick and you are right as usual, I can't find La Romana on their list. Sorry Lauries

A severe shortcoming of the whole south shore from the capital to Punta Cana is the utter lack of Metro-like buses. I use taxis to the capital since I refuse to hassle with guaguas even though i can get around OK en espanol. And crammed 91 to a guagua is no great desire either.

As to the original poster (LAURIES) - taxe a taxi if you cannot get picked up or your package will not use a bus for passengers. If you are nervous especially.

I estimate the cost for a gringa to be around US$65-80 or so. Negotiate in Spanish if you can, write down the agreed upon figure have the driver sign that and keep it. Go right to the door of the resort or hotel and if the driver tries to weasel for more seek help inside.

I would not tip on $80 or more either.

TIP: If you are staying at AI's or in LRM or POP , fly to LRM next time and try to avoid flying into the wrong city. Otherwise just prepare to haggle and pay a bit of us$ cabbage and don't fret. You certainly don't need and I doubt can use a travel agent.

If you want an good English speaking driver who has a new taxi-van let me know and I can give you Jose's name ( well, that cat's out of the bag isn't it? it's Jose) and number and you can ask him to come and also haggle in English. I pay him about 2/3 of the going rate for the trips I make into the city, usually booking him for an entire day and unlimited stops and starts.

If you are arriving AFTER 1/30 let me know by PM and I'll ask him next Friday as I am there for 5 days anyway. Will ultimately need your real name and flight arrival details for him to get you at SDQ of course.