Getting Sick in the Putna Cana Area?

Anjanettea

Jan 23, 2004
Getting Sick in the Punta Cana Area?

Hello All,

I am planning a trip to Punta Cana (staying at the Paradisus), but I keep reading reviews of people getting sick from eating the food (either at the Paradisus, Caribe Tropical or other Punta Cana area resorts). I just read a review about someone getting sick at the Iberostar

Is there a problem with food preparation? Where the food comes from?

I stayed in the Puerto Plata area (2001) and did not get sick at the Gran Ventana, and I was there 10 days.

Thanks for the responses.

Anj

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have no opinion on the above Hotels but I always wonder why people get sick when on holidays. Could it be too much drinking in the hot sun when they came from freezing weather? Could it be too much sun? Maybe too much fruit. There was a virus going around the US and Canada in the last few months maybe they already had the bug.

All I can say is, I ate anything that vendors on Sosua beach were walking around with and I never got sick this past Nov.
It was a slow time and I felt for them having to walk around a very quiet beach. The shimp,empanadas, clams ( or whatever those thing were that they crack open in front of you) I was careful with the pineapple. It was so good but since I don't normally eat a whole one by myself I shared it with the ladies that braid hair and with the boys that rent chairs. Actually I shared everything I bought with them.

Last edited:

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Anna - I've always wondered about those shrimp vendors on the beach. They carry that around all day in the hot sun and I can't help but think the shrimp spoils. But they do look sumptuous!

Anj - Wonder if the people are REALLY sick or just had a change in bowel habits. Everytime we come down, it takes a week of eating the different diet before our stomachs get back to normal. Those fruity drinks with alcohol don't set well with me either (since i'm a diehard beer drinker).

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Those shrimp are amazing! Never affected me in any way, nor the chicharon, the clams/oysters.....frio frio...but then 9 visits should have acclimatized me.

I see people sick mostly at AI's, from a) drinking waaay too much plus the hot sun beating down on their balding heads and fat bellies, and b) preparation of the food often uses palm oil which can set off your stomach as we are not used to it. It can clean you right out.

Plus that AI food sits around a long time...avoid mayo based salads, and anything that looks retread from the night before.

This is one of the reasons I like the time share I use - can cook my own food, buying fresh everyday. Visiting a local restaurant is also preferred in my book.

People at the AI's in Cuba had the same problem (luckily not the resort I was at). Generally it's the guests overindulgence.

Anjanettea

Jan 23, 2004
Possibly the Water

I forgot to mention this as a possible cause of sickness. I remember brusing my teeth with the water in Puerto Plata, but I can't remember if I had bottle water to drink. I'm not a big consumer of alcohol (only on occassions), but still, nothing has happened to me.

Another possibilty I thought of is that I live in Spanish Harlem (NYC) and I am use to eating all tyes of spanish cuisine. Maybe this is why I have adjusted to the food and didn't have any toll on my body....just a thought

Again, thanks for the responses.

Anj

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
What are the Odds?

Anjanettea said:
Hello All,

I am planning a trip to Punta Cana (staying at the Paradisus), but I keep reading reviews of people getting sick from eating the food (either at the Paradisus, Caribe Tropical or other Punta Cana area resorts). I just read a review about someone getting sick at the Iberostar

How many stories of different people getting sick, vs. how many tens of thousands of tourists in this place over the same time? I think they tend towards pretty good hygience as to not lose customers. If you have to go to an AI, this is probably no worse than the rest.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
I agree with JanH, it usually is just because of the change to your system - heat, different food & spices, not drinking enough water. Hollywood North is right too- I have seen my fair share of tourists get sick because of over-indulgence, not only in the DR but in Mexico, Jamaica, Caymans etc.
It is interesting too that when I moved back to Canada after 2 years in the DR, my first week back I actually got a "tourista" type sickness and my doctor told me it works both ways. I just had to get used to the Canadian food and climate again!! Go figure.
Use common sense - if there is a buffet on the beach and it has been out there in the hot sun for a couple of hours - stay clear of it - you wouldn't eat it at home so why on vacation? If something looks questionable - ask to speak to the Food & Beverage Mgr, I am sure that he would bend over backwards to keep a guest happy since you are his bread & butter!!
As for the shrimp, oysters etc on the beach - I did get sick once - swelled up and had a full body rash that lasted 24 hours and so from then on I would carry my Louisiana Hot Sauce with me if I felt the urge for some goodies on the beach - that stuff kills anything!!!

Bavaro Beach Girl

Jan 7, 2008
Just returned from spending Christmas in Punta Cana. My third trip to the Dominican and the first time I did not become intestinally ill. Ate everything and consumed alcoholic beverages. I did stay away from the pina colodas this time.