Storm Damage to Property

CUZ

Jan 10, 2004
Hello dr1'ers,

Thanks for providing a broad range of informative, educational and sometimes entertaining information. A true community service!
My wife, Joelle and 2 small children are starting a carefully planned move to considering a 2nd (vacation & maybe eventually retirement home) in the Dominican Republic. At present, we are leaning (broadly, Puetro Plata to Samana) towards north coast locations.
Joelle works in the coastal environmental field for NOAA, and wants us to get educated on both the long term history of North Coast storms and the more specific property damage/problems that have come with them.
I have come to understand that this area has been historically least affected by storms/tropical depressions/hurricanes compared to the south and east of the country; but would anyone of you care to share more personal/practical stories?
Such a thread could be helpful for residents and visitors.
This information will help us to decide just how close to the beach we should look.
Sorry for the long post - 1st timer!
Thanks for any feedback.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
CUZ

Welcome to DR1!

You'll find a number of threads on theat specific subject in the 'Weather' forum here for which I am moderator. And, I will be happy to be more specififc, soon. I am kind of out with a bad flu right now!

I live on the North Coats and I have a degree, among others, in Atmospheric Physics, and have spent lots of time in Silver Spring at NOAA HQ. So feel free. If you or your wife need anything specific letme know and we can PMor e-mail on a more professional basis the information you are seeking.

Back to bed. :: HACK ::

Tom (aka XR)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Cuz, XR is the expert, but a couple of layman's observations based on 18 years on the north coast.

1. North coast less likely to be hit than the south coast. Depending on the storm's track, we may get wind and rain, but the winds won't be hurricane force.

2. Sosua/Puerto Plata less likely to be hit than Samana.

3. Building on the beach very risky, even on the north coast. When there are hurricanes in the Atlantic enroute to the Bahamas/ US, waves striking the north coast can be spectacular.

C

Caral

Sosua

Has a good international school and interesting beaches. The problem of course is that the tourist developments have destoyed the natural vegetation that would usually stop trouble. The mangroves are gone. The further east you travel, towards Samana, the more beautiful the beaches. But the Atlantic is a wild, unpredictable force. Sosua Bay is usually far more gentle, and I suspect the same for Samana--but I don't know that area as well. If I wasn't worried about schooling, I'd head for Samana.