Democracy at risk in Dominican Rep?

areito

Jan 25, 2004
Is This goverment a conspiracy?

Why pretend to change the presidential's elections rules, in order to alleviate the internal crisis of the party in Goverment, 4 months before elections?

Are they creating chaos deliberately to preserve power?

On Article 49, TITLE V SECTION I, Our Dominican Constitution says
"The Executive authority is exerted by the President of the Republic, that will be chosen every four years by direct vote."

Direct Vote. My Vote. Your Vote.

The Project "Ley de Lemas" is confronting this right, this principle.

Please take a look at this article on Miami Herald, Jan 22, 2004, "Scandal in Dominican Republic could put democracy at risk" by NANCY SAN MARTIN
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/7772104.htm for more information on this debate.

The way this part of the island is been ruled, reminds me what Ex-President Leonel once said, "The PRD (party in goverment) is the inverted tropical version of King Midas, everything they touch, disorganize it".

Facts are there, let the country be the judge next May 16.

Remembering our leaders the ART. 99. - All usurped authority is ineffective and their acts are null. All decision decided by the requisition of the Armed Forces is null

Related Links
Domincan Republic Constitucion (spanish) http://www.georgetown.edu/pdba/Constitutions/DomRep/domrep02.html
Partido Revolucionario Dominicano (PRD) http://www.prd.partidos.com/lonuevo.htm

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Sure, the change in election law requires a change in the constitution, but all Hippo has to do is bribe the senators. Its very easy to change constitution in the DR and has been done before for political purposes.

Profeta

Mar 17, 2003
The PRD should make it official and ...

The PRD should make it official and declare the DR constitution as toilet paper. Hell! The Dominican Republic can use some toilet paper with the current conditions of the economy. It would be better use than leaving it in the hands of those corrupt politicians. Why allow only 5 candidates to run under one party. If they were smart they would allow the entire senate to run for the presidency as well. That would surely be a way to guarantee victory against the PLD.

Balaguer, Bosch, and Pena Gomez did the biggest disservice a country can have by seeding, cultivating, and harvesting the biggest crop of thieves ever seen in the history of humanity while at the same time building a country of ignorants. That was a magnificent job! So much so that even after 40 years of dealing with the same politician faces, the people continue to believe in them and support them. The average Dominican should read its history and understand that change can only be accomplished through sacrifice, and pre-Trujillo era that meant revolts and dictators.

The only solution to DR's problem is to effect a fundamental change in the way current Dominican society thinks, and to do that the current generation of leaders that spread ignorance need to be completely eliminated. History shows us that the only quick and effective way to do that is to through dictatorships. Yes, it is sad, but unfortunately DR has now gone so deep in a hole that only consolidation of power can pull it out of the current situation. In the old days that meant a Trujillo or Pinoche. Today, there are better ways to accomplish the same things - The US is an expert at implementing it.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I write this just as the third black-out of the day hits me. Mark my words: we'll only learn if we hit rock bottom. And we are only half-way through.

Yeah, I might come across as cynical and devoid of trust for humanity, and this could be true. While I had little faith that the PLD would tackle the fundamental changes that our society needs I was convinced that the PRD was ten times worse. The biblical plague of locusts re-incarnated.

I knew right from minute one that the PRD was bad news. I knew Hip?lito was bad news. I am no genius, but I remember, and I voted for what my conscience dictated without expecting favors or gifts from any government. Actually all I wanted was the government to stay the hell away from me. Obviously I didn't run fast enough.

We might only wake up from this apathy and demand our rights and start to kick a**** if we hit rock bottom. Sadly, but fortunately we will do just that before August. I just hope that it will not be in vain.

Maybe I need coffee.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Conchman said:
Sure, the change in election law requires a change in the constitution, but all Hippo has to do is bribe the senators. Its very easy to change constitution in the DR and has been done before for political purposes.

He would also have to bribe many of the the PRSC deputies, those of the PRD that oppose reelection and even some PLD deputies. Constitutional reform is only possible with the votes of 2/3 of the legislators -- senators and deputies. See Art. 119 of the Constitution. Link in the FAQ at the start of the Election 2004 forum.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Dolores said:
He would also have to bribe many of the the PRSC deputies, those of the PRD that oppose reelection and even some PLD deputies. Constitutional reform is only possible with the votes of 2/3 of the legislators -- senators and deputies. See Art. 119 of the Constitution. Link in the FAQ at the start of the Election 2004 forum.

I guess the process would be the same as he was able to change the constitution to allow re-election.

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
Democracy has always been at risk in the Dominican Republic.

Balaguer was able to exploit Cold War tensions to justify his authoritarian semi-democratic rule. However, I have to grant that he did have the capacity to rise above his own ambitions in favor of the best interests of the nation, specifically in 1978 and 1994. Of course, Carter and Clinton had a little to do with that.

Unfortunately, the Bush administration is preoccupied with other issues and is not paying much attention to the political chaos. This will change, however, when we see the flotillas of yolas coming to Puerto Rico and Miami.

niki harkin

Feb 11, 2004
I have a question. Did anyone hear that the President of the DR was shot? I have just signed as a travel rep. and some clients were telling the company that they were not allowed of of the resort, that there were strikes and that there were shootings in Santo Domingo.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The President Shot?

A lot of people wish so

Strikes?

Yes, we had a 2 day national strike two weeks ago. There was some violence but it never affects the touristic areas

People Shot?

Yes, every big city has people shot every day. This is life, unfortunately.

Should you be worried to come and work here?

No.

Mar 21, 2002
When has the DR ever had democracy? Whoever is in politics is in it for the scams it offers. Leonel might be a nice guy but there are plenty of scam artists surrounding him. There is no solution in the near future for the DR. The problem is that all of you middle class folks feel the pinch now and scream the outroars. What about all the impoverished folks who felt like this all their lives with no hope but a semblance of smiles?

Now it's the middle classes turn to tumble.

Sep 20, 2003
i don't know if hippo could actually pull off a coup. the DR is bankrupt, and it needs the IMF and other donor countries foreign aid to stay afloat. if hippo used some fake crisis to void the elections and rule with emergenncy powers, i don't think the IMF, the united states, and the EU would tolerate it. they would cut off the money and hippo would be on his way to exile in miami.

arisitide in haiti pulled off voiding the elections and the money was cut off. haiti, never in good shape anyway, has completely broken down. the dominicans aren't used to living at the appallingly low level that the haitians live. the general populace would never put up with the complete collapse of the economy. there would be a revolution.

i think the american government would put the pressure of hippo to leave. perhaps it would take the aperance of hundreds of boats packed with refugees coming ashore in puerto rico and miami to get the bush adminstraton to move into action, but i think once they get into gear, hippo would be forced out in 1-2 days.

i plan to be in santo domingo for the elections.

i hope hippo does not fix the elections,or have a coup, i want him out too.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
All of you keep bringing up "Democracy" in the DR!

Let's face it---such by no means exists here!

What you have is an "Elected Dictatorship" which NEVER responds to the basic NEEDS of the constituancy. But rather, thumbs it's nose at every effort to insist on good governance by so-called "elected" officials.

What you want is "cradle to grave" support in it's entirety without having to pay for anything!

You have reached that point in the development of a democracy where you can and have voted yourself that proverbial "free lunch" and thus have signalled the demise of your "democracy" because you have abrogated your responsibilities as citizens of a democracy.

Let's face it, Domocracy is doomed in the DR! What will come next is a non-benevolent dictatorship which you will rebel against because it doesn't provide you with what you want nor what you expect.

Let's just hope that the forthcoming bloodbath isn't too bad. Maybe the military will do it for you, but I doubt it.

At any rate, what you get is what you sow and you have sowed the seeds of a dictatorship resulting from rebellion.

Look at your own history for the answers your children will ask of you.

I'm not trying to present doom and gloom into the scenario, but call it like I see it and unless you clean your house very thoroughly and demand good governance, you will always have one that is mediocre.

Texas Bill

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
No Danger for Democracy

Something cannot be endangered if it doesn?t exist.
So far the good news.
The bad news:
There is no separation of powers here. HM controls them all.
If it?s true that neither the US nor the Europeans will send observers to the upcoming elections (which is good news to HM) then this country will be away further from democracy than ever.
Military coup? Ah no, they are greased off to a point where they could not handle more yeepetas and other luxury.
M?frog