Going to SD Memorial Day wknd

KarinaM

Jan 25, 2004
Hello

I need some tips on where to stay and what to do from May 28-June 1. I'll be traveling into SDQ airport with my mother, 2 teenage brothers and my son (1 yr old). We would like to stay in an all-inclusive resort (not too expensive) on the beach... and also need suggestions on what to do during the day...

Thanks.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You need to check with tour operators

KarinaM said:
Hello

I need some tips on where to stay and what to do from May 28-June 1. I'll be traveling into SDQ airport with my mother, 2 teenage brothers and my son (1 yr old). We would like to stay in an all-inclusive resort (not too expensive) on the beach... and also need suggestions on what to do during the day...

Thanks.

Where do you live? Most of the time the AI's are booked with Canadian and American tour operators in your home country. I haven't seen a lot of 4 day trips either. And none to SDQ airport anymore. If you already have tickets you might want to consider Boca Chica and check this site:

www.bocachicabeach.net

which has info and links for all the hotels and in your case the AI's too. You CAN book with Hamaca directly (it is now a Hilton), but I think it will cost more per day than part of a package deal.

Boca Chica is closest to the SDQ airport, only 10 minutes. The Don Juan may be less expensive and the Dominican Bay the least of all since it is not actually on the beach.

NB I think you will find an AI is probably "too expensive" booked this way (e.g $120 + per night and two rooms maybe) - are you committed to flying into SDQ? It means you have to use an scheduled airline and not a charter as they are all going to La Romana, POP, Punta Cana etc. now.

Try adding some info - from where, why SDQ and how much is too much.

You are also flying on a VERY busy weekend. Very busy.

KarinaM

Jan 25, 2004
I'm from NJ so I'll be flying out of Newark Airport.

Boca Chica resort is already sold out for this weekend :disappoin

I want some directly on the beach that has activities and possible child care.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Lucky You

KarinaM said:
I'm from NJ so I'll be flying out of Newark Airport.

Boca Chica resort is already sold out for this weekend :disappoin

I want some directly on the beach that has activities and possible child care.

Well you are lucky the Boca Chica Resort/Dominican Bay is sold out because it isn't on the beach , in fact it's on a hill. Really ought to be named the Dominican "on the hill sort of near the bay, which actually is a lagoon and not a bay" Resort.

They have this elevated sidewalk thing that you use to go to the beach and wind up in the less fancy area of the beach to boot.

Hamaca and Don Juan are the ONLY AI's on the beach. The 2 non-AI's on the beach, both OK, are Don Emilio (quite new and some growing pains) and Zapata which offers for around US$100-130 an apartment suitable for a family of say 4 or so, a couple of bedrooms if I recall. Unless you hire someone I doubt child care is an option. And not AI so you sing for your supper.

You may (should, really) want to inquire with a tour company (talk to a travel agent at this point - they sell the tour company packages) for Juan Dolio, which is the next town East from Boca Chica since you are destined to fly on I guess CO and land in SDQ vs. an actual resort town. Unless you can get fixed up with Hamaca or DJ.

"Possibly" you can check La Romana, another 40+ Km taxi ride and even more dough I fear, as there are pretty tony resorts there.

Really for 4 days to then go from the SDQ airport to Punta Cana or Puerto Plata is a long trip, and you have to get back, too. So I am thinking they would not be good options, unless you can fly on CO to POP or PUJ instead.

Even for BC I am quite shocked that DB/BC Resort is sold out , esp. 5 months away.