Tonight at the stadium

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
It's was just amazing everyone at the Quisqueya Stadium was chanting "Que felicidad , Hipolito se Va!

"We are happy , Hipolito is living the office!"
At the stadium was Gomez Mazara and everyone was shouting at him , Guido go home!!

What do you think guys?

crowley

Jan 26, 2004
view from a gringo...

I am married to a beautiful dominican lady and so I am always interested in the situation in the DR. My question is this ... what the hell is going on in the DR? Your hippo is a clown and the PRD seems like a circus gone wild. I love the DR and it is sad to see what is happening there. If the hippo is elected, I hope the people take to the streets and put in a real democracry. I was there for 4 months when the peso was at $28 and I had a hard time buying groceries on a dollar salary. I would like to know how the people are eating with the peso at over $50 and the salaries still at the $16 level????????????????? If you need a gringo with a gun to come and support your cause for democracy, let me know and I'll book my flight.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
calamardoazul said:
It's was just amazing everyone at the Quisqueya Stadium was chanting "Que felicidad , Hipolito se Va!

"We are happy , Hipolito is living the office!"
At the stadium was Gomez Mazara and everyone was shouting at him , Guido go home!!

What do you think guys?

I suppose you mean that H. is leaving office, but that's just splitting heirs (!) on my part!

Seriously, I do wish this will come true, but H. and his clique are desperate, so who knows. Anyway, I guess he got the message, but does he care one bit what the vast majority thinks if he can cling to power no matter what it takes?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: view from a gringo...

crowley said:
I am married to a beautiful dominican lady and so I am always interested in the situation in the DR. My question is this ... what the hell is going on in the DR? Your hippo is a clown and the PRD seems like a circus gone wild. I love the DR and it is sad to see what is happening there. If the hippo is elected, I hope the people take to the streets and put in a real democracry. I was there for 4 months when the peso was at $28 and I had a hard time buying groceries on a dollar salary. I would like to know how the people are eating with the peso at over $50 and the salaries still at the $16 level????????????????? If you need a gringo with a gun to come and support your cause for democracy, let me know and I'll book my flight.

Let me get this straight. Your all for democracy as long as your guy wins right?

I hate Hippo as much as the next guy but he was elected in a fair election. Fair by Dominican standards.

One of the Bad things about democracy is that the people get the government they deserve.

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
Re: Re: Tonight at the stadium

Paulino said:
I suppose you mean that H. is leaving office, but that's just splitting heirs (!) on my part!

Seriously, I do wish this will come true, but H. and his clique are desperate, so who knows. Anyway, I guess he got the message, but does he care one bit what the vast majority thinks if he can cling to power no matter what it takes?

What i meant is that everyone at the stadium was shouting against Hipolito and Gomez Mazara and asking them to leave their offices NOW! .....Dominicans maybe are begining to react , since the economy is in shambles and everyone is getting affected in a way or another....(The only exception could be the PPH people). Let?s see what is going to happen on 28th and 29th next week. Everyone is on with the strike. :bandit:

poquito_loco

Jan 26, 2004
prestige-hosting.com
Do the people vote?

What percent of the population is actually registered, what percent actually turn out, what percent is actually legitament that is counted, what does one have to do to qualify to run? What is it, what's it going to take to get a half decent president into office in the DR? Or is it just not going to happen? I mean alot of people shouting at a stadium didn't do it. I would guess they will show up for their positions tomorrow.

Curious, PL

Hmmmmmmmm LOL @ the message below

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Voting is Mandatory in the DR. You have to be registered to vote.
I believe that voter turn out is somewhere around 80%+.

BTW No matter what country your in....If you didn't Vote...Shut the F*ck up!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Correct me if I am wrong but I did not think voting here was mandatory, as in compulsory?

In Venezuela it is compulsory, if you don't vote you lose certain rights. It may have changed since I was last there but it certainly was the case a few years ago.

In the DR people have to go to great lengths to vote, waiting for hours in cramped conditions, often having to cross the country to vote where they are registered. I have always been impressed by people's tenacity, yet mystified by the enthusiasm they display when they are faced with such a poor choice!

In the UK I had to nip across the street to my local church hall, wait a minute or two at most, vote, and then continue on to work. All done within 5 or ten minutes. My Dominican husband was with me the last time I did this, and he couldn't believe his eyes.

Chiri

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I recall voting is an obligation of citizens, while not compulsory. Nothing has happened to a person who does not vote.
Traditionally, the strongest voter turn outs have happens when the people are voting against someone. Double check reading the Constitution (part on voting and elections). See link in the FAQ first post of this forum.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Checked the Constitution link. It reads: "Todo ciudadano dominicano tiene el deber de votar, siempre que est? legalmente capacitado para hacerlo." Thus voting is a duty, not a citizen obligation. See Art. 9.

poquito_loco

Jan 26, 2004
prestige-hosting.com
Nah I will never shut the F*&# UP!

Voting is Mandatory in the DR. You have to be registered to vote.
I believe that voter turn out is somewhere around 80%+.

BTW No matter what country your in....If you didn't Vote...Shut the F*ck up!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^TonyC response further up the thread!
LOL BIG BAD TonyC

Well, you say what you want but the fact is I didn't know. I refuse to shut the F*&% UP. INfact I am on the phone this AM to the Jimmy Carter center in Georgia in an attempt to get them involved to ensure some what proper elections are held. So that if you do VOTE hopefully your vote will be counted. I am also on the phone with CNN in order to gain information about a reporter willing to do a story on this election. I FEEL THIS IS A MUCH BETTER WAY TO APPROACH THIS MATTER THAN SHOUTING @ A STADIUM.

P.S. MaMa always said if you have nothing nice to say, to say nothing at all.I think you might want to take MaMa's advise. OH AND TonyC, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO? GO VOTE IN A CORRUPT ELECTION?

Peace, PL

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Poquito.

First off I am not Dominican so I can't vote in their Election. Ok I can if I wanted to but that would just be adding to the problem.

Actually I have done a bit to Help the DR recently. I ran across the Hippo People using fraudulant means to collect campaign funds in Miami. A few phone calls to some contacts and I had it stopped.
If you go through the Archives you can find the thread where i posted the whole story.
I have also used my many contacts in both the print and electronic media to help get the word out with some limited sucess. You must remember that when it comes to International news in the US the DR is, at best, filler.
Not too long ago there were people on this fourm atalking about making a Political TV commercial to protest Hippo's policies. I even offered to have the Commercial produced(I own a production company) and placed on Spanish TV down here in Miami. Nothing ever came of it.
The offer still stands. Anybody want to work on it?

I wouldn't bother with the Jimmy Carter center. Remember it was him who helped Hippo get elected in the First place.

BTW Your Mama's advice was wrong. My Mama said that if run across somebody acting like a Idiot do them the favor of telling them that they are a Idiot. If not they will keep on acting like an idiot.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Speaking of stadiums, I was just wondering, is it true the tickets for the serie del caribe cost US$40.00-50.00?
At 50x1 thats about $2,500.00.

BTW, poquito_loco, last time I chequed voting was not mandatory in the DR. Unlike in Brasil, where the law obligates all citizens of able age to vote, in the DR we are all free to excersice our democratic right to vote or drink or screw or all of the above every 4 years on the 16th of may.
80%?!?!? you must be thinking of another Dominican Republic somewhere in the Swiss Alps or in Scandinavia because here in the Caribbean you seldom get a 55% turn out on election day.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Again at the opening of the Serie del Caribe, people chanted "Que felicidad, Hipolito se va"
despite rumors that the PPH bought a huge part of the tickets sold at the opening.