Sosua nightlife/ Animal Country

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
This happened yesterday.
A car stops in front of the ToffToff Bar, right next to Merengue Club, a guy jumps out with a pistol yelling "who's the owner of this jeep?" There was a big fat jeep parked correctly in front of the bar.
The guy goes into the bar, points his pistol to anybodys head, asking if they were the owner of the jeep.
He slaps a tourist into his face and points the pistol to his head just to threaten him.
Nobody knows what's going on.... one of the employees calls the police, and a minute later two politur officers arrive, just to watch what's going on.
The guy keeps shouting for the goddamned owner of the jeep, while one of his buddies clears the bar with one strike off all bottles and glasses...just like in the movies.

About three minutes later, while the guy was still swearing and threatening, a skinny dominican-looking girl, apparently of culture and wealthy family walks right onto that idiot saying: My name is ......., this is my car..... now what do you want....?"

The guy jumps into his car and takes off.

We live in a savage country, don't we?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Savage country?

My conclusion would not have been that the country was savage, but rather that he was one enraged person, maybe savage, maybe nuts, but not the whole country.
I am interested to know if this was a gringo or a Dominican, and are you saying that when the police came that they never interfered, but just simply stayed there and watched?
Marco.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Professional courtesy?

You may be correct. I once had a drunken off duty military lieutenant in my bar, who started waving his gun around. I immediately went to the cops, who came right on back with me, but took approx. a half hour to slowly negotiate him out of the bar. I was surprised that they didn't storm him and drag him off to jail. I guess they consider it a professional courtesy.
Thank God these are rare occurences.
Marco.

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
Lol

I don't see what the point of this is,really!The u.s. & european countries are considered"civilized"Yet we're no strangers to multitudes of heinous crimes every year.

Honestly,the DR is alot safer than most other third world countries,with comparable standards of living.

Carl

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Why doesnt this shit happen when I am around?

No one ever shoots anyone when I can admire the work.

Holes like swiss cheese is right. The bar next to the Merenge Bar is a whore bar also. No high class Dom woman in her right mind would be there.

Scott

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Gerd, what was an outstanding gentleman like yourself doing in a whore bar?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think this all is coming as a surprise to gerd, Eddy. According to his post, he was convinced they were women of culture and wealthy families. In other words, a bar for gentlemen.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
tired_boy, I don't know about whore bars, but in respectable places it ranges from very rare to never.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Of course, that is a very valid point, but............. not much consolation to those who have just had a gun held to their heads in Sosua while enjoying a beer. I know the Bronx is bad so if i was to visit America i wouldnt be enjoying a Budweiser in one of the bars there. Likewise if parts of the DR were notorious (and i sounds like they are not) i wouldnt be taking my wife there for a Presidente.

Unfortunately we cant completely avoid violence like this (well we probably could but the remote Pacific island with no violence is probably 10 times more costly than the DR to visit)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
In all the years I have hung out in Sosua I have NEVER experienced this. I see a lot of people in the DR with guns displayed in their pants but never what was just described.

Every good story here only starts with "You aint gonna believe this shit but" and I have many of those but I haven't seen any gun play or even attempted gun play. I never hear gun fire with the exception of being in Navarete during a national protest but wasnt even worried then.

Go figger...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You are all starting to sound like "Dominicans"!!!

Saying,"Yeah But!,"In the USA,or Canada,or Europe it is worse!!!"
We are not talking about those places,we are talking about the Dominican Republic!You are trying to compare "Apples& Oranges"!If you want to make a comparison,(Always a poor excuse for your problems!) compare the DR to other Carribean islands! It doesn't measure up to most other islands!!!We may love it ,we may hate it,but please stop making excuses for it!!!
Think on the bright side,we have already had 4 National Holidays this month,and tomorrow a 2 day strike!That makes 6 days of no work to help the already pathetic Dominican Economy! CCCCCCCC

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I WILL make my point !

Criss Colon said:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I deleted all your words and just quoted your exclamation marks (roughly 17 of them). I think you made your point (just). LOL