bank account

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
Is it possible to open a bank account, peso or dollar, in D.R.?
I am a U.S.citizen. I heard some conflicting info.
Thanks

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
You can open a bank account with no problem, all that is needed is your money.

Be advised, because of the present unstable political/economic situation of the country you may be better off placing your currency under a mattress.

Regards, PJT

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
You will have to present your passport or cedula if you have residency. Different banks may have different requirements.

Savings accounts are easier to open as a rule than checking acocunts. With a savings account, all that should be needed is your ID and money. With a checking account, you may need a letter of reference from your work and maybe other credit checks.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
And for peso accounts..............

PJT said:
You can open a bank account with no problem, all that is needed is your money.

Be advised, because of the present unstable political/economic situation of the country you may be better off placing your currency under a mattress.

Regards, PJT

You'd actually make MORE money with US$ under a mattress than with a peso CD at 16% interest.

pati

Feb 3, 2004
I to am a US citizen that tried to open an account and found that they only give you half of the information. First I was told to bring my US id and my passport or birth certificate. I did that then I was told I also had to bring my bank statements from my US bank. When I did that they told me I needed a letter from my bank stating I had a current account with the bank. I did go back to DR with that info but I just wasn't in the mood to deal with them so I never did open the account. So my advise to you is go with everything you can get your hands on. US id, passport or birth certificate, a letter from your US bank and one or two current bank statements. Hope this info will save you some aggravation.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Pati,

Sorry for the run around they gave you. My advice, if you are opening a savings account, is to go to another bank where they actually seem interested in you and your money. All you should need is your passport or cedula and money.

Checking accounts are understanably a bit more complicated since there is a potential credit risk.

Seeme

Dec 17, 2003
Progresso opens accounts with no problems in sosua and also Banco santa cruz.

I openned accounts there in Jan 04 with no problems. On CD's Progresso gives better rates than Sata cruz. All you need is your passport.

Cheers!