Where is the place to be/go?

mexx78

Jan 23, 2004
I think many people already asked this question, but I think everbody has a different profile and different expactations (please excuse any grammatical mistakes, Im not an native speaker). About me, Im 26 years old and never have been to the DR before. Im planning on staying two to three weeks.

What do I expect from my holiday in the DR (rhetorical question:cool:)?

1. FUN.
1.1 Fun at night. I like (love) to dance Merengue, Bachata and some Salsa. 1.1 I want to go out as often possible to dance and meet new people.
1.1.2 I do not want to dance only with other tourists.
1.1.3 I do not want to drive above 20 Mins to a club. Once in a while it's ok (special, super nice clubs?), but not everyday.
1.2 FUN at daytime.
1.2.1 Maybe do some waterskiing, learn to kitesurf
1.2.2 Hang around at the beach, watch the people, read some books.
1.2.3 It would be nice to see lot of young people (twens).

2. See the island and its people.
2.1 I'd love to make (guided) tours (Santo Domingo would be nice) to see the "countryside", the waterfalls, do some horsebackriding.

3. Make a 1-week cruise
3.1 If all goes well, it will be on the german cruiseliner AIDA.

Can you recommend a hotel (doesnt have to be "all inclusive") and a city/ressort where I can access most of these things? Please no super expensive hotel.

Any tipps are highly appreciated.

Max

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
yes, I agree... CABARETE is the place you want to go.
Young people, lots of bars, lots of fun.
THE place for kitesurfing, dancing and meeting new people.
I live there since over 10 years, PM me if you want more info, I also know a nice cheap place for you to stay.

quaqualita

mexx78

Jan 23, 2004
Thx guys - but it looks like the beach is full of surfers and there is no beach, cause the beach is full of surfboards (i dont surf, just want to try out kite-boarding). Or are there also quiter beaches? Like "Today Im going to have some fun" or "Today Im just going to lie at the beach, relax and take a look at the girls hanging around ;) ". Another problem is, there arent many female surfers - (or so I think it might be) so the clubs will be full with surfers but no girls around to have a chat ?

Today I went to my travel agency and they suggested Sosua or Cabarete.

Hmm....

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Plenty of beach for everyone at Cabarete. Based on your list, it is the place you want.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
the beach of Cabarete is many, many miles long. On some parts windsurfers are concentrated, other parts are the kitesurfers, or other parts are just people who take a sun or go for a swim. Plenty of space, too, to be lonely on the beach if you want to.
And, there are allwasys plenty of beautiful females around.
Believe me, whatever you are looking for, you will find it in Cabarete.

quaqualita

mexx78

Jan 23, 2004
Can you recommend any special hotels? Is it better to book them at my travel agency in germany or do they give special last minute rates?
How much is the difference between All incl. and No Food at all - I love to sleep after a heavy night, so Im quite sure Id miss nearly every breakfast.

Looks like Ill be going to Cabarete this year :).

One last qustion, how long does it take to Santo Domingo?

Max

Fran31

Jan 15, 2004
Cabarete

Hi Quaqualita (?)

I'd be interested in that cheap place you mentioned earlier. I'll be there end of March for 3 weeks. Could you please give me some info?

Thanks

Franlondon@lycos.es

tigre72

May 6, 2003
Cabarete

Don't go all inclusive-there are so many inexpensive restaurants in Cabarete on the beach and main street.
If you wake late there are places like 'Dick's Bakery' on the main street for late breakfast.

Many apartment/hotels: La Punta, El Pequenio Refugio etc.

Good luck!

mexx78

Jan 23, 2004
Are there any any courses/classes where I can improve my Merengue/Bachata/Salsa? Ive been told (nearly) nobody dances Merengue like the Dominicans....
How far is it from the hotels to bars/clubs/discos?

Im looking more and more forward to see Cabarete myself....

mexx78

Jan 23, 2004
Hotel in Cabarete

Is there a hotel anybody can recommend? A bigger would be nice, where I can meet people at the pool.

Are there any "lays" (chez long) or sunumbrellas at the beach? I dont think I can stand the sun the whole day....

Winnipegger

Oct 17, 2003
Cabarete

I just returned from two weeks in Cabarete and am returning in March to purchase an apartment Condo. I love it there and based on you list of needs I think you will also. There is no shortage of beautiful women there and its a great spot for winsurfing, kitesurfing or people watching while you lie on the beach. Its the spot for nightlife and everynight seemed to be full of people, dancing and fun. If you want to stay in Central cabarete in a clean basic hotel I recommend the Cita del Sol. It is a perfect location for getting to everything. Or the Windsurf resort for a little bit better accomodation. Villa Taina is even more upscale and very well located as well

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
mexx78 said:
Are there any any courses/classes where I can improve my Merengue/Bachata/Salsa? Ive been told (nearly) nobody dances Merengue like the Dominicans....

hm.. let's see how good you are allready .. maybe we can talk about this (I'm one of the nearly nobody).

http://www.activecabarete.com/lodging/ is a good start to get some info about Cabarete hotels.

It's about a 4 hrs bus drive to Santo Domingo.

quaqualita

mexx78

Jan 23, 2004
No "non" All inclusive Hotels

Is there no german travel agency which offer a holiday without "All In"?? I just checked all the catalogues. If there is a hotel in Cabarete at all it has AI.
Does anyone know or has been at a hotel with no food at all included?

I found four hotels in the catalogues:
Seagrape, Viva Tangerine, Tropical Beach Resort and Punta Goleta, if it should not possible to find a hotel without all in, which one would be best?

Max

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
Re: No "non" All inclusive Hotels

mexx78 said:
Seagrape, Viva Tangerine, Tropical Beach Resort and Punta Goleta, if it should not possible to find a hotel without all in, which one would be best?

Max

Seagrape: I like this hotel a lot, it very close to where I live. It's not high class, but has two nice pool areas, clean rooms, good food, and very very friendly staff. But: It's not in Cabarete center, which is, reading your previous post, where you want to be.
You can walk in about 30 min along the beach to the center or easily catch a 2 min ride in a public taxi, but if you want to enjoy the Cabarete's nightlife, I think you'd prefer in a hotel Cabarete center.
Viva Tangerine: new hotel close to Cabarete center (about 5 min walking distance)
Punta Goleta: Also, not in Cabarete center. You need to catch a motoconcho or taxi (2 min) to get to the main beach, or again walk about 30 min.
Tropical Beach Resort: I'm not quite sure right now, which one this is. If it's Tropical Goleta, then it's even more far away from the main beach than Punta Goleta. If it's (former?) Tropical Casa Laguna then it is right in the center of Cabarete.

As far as I know, German travel agencies also have former Estrella del Mar Hotel in their catalogues, how it is called now? .. Azuro Club or something like this.

quaqualita

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
Cabarete

Hi Mexx,

I also think Cabarete would be a great palce to be and experience everything you had on your list.

The nicest property in Cabarete , right on the beach with full kitchens and very reasonably priced is : Magnifico

The suites are veru spacios, they have a pool and a jacuzzi and great location.

All my clients that stayed there , always book it again for the next year vacation and I stayed at the property also and Love IT!!!!

If you need more help, please contact me via email. I also sent you a PM , if you care to check it.
I highly recommend the property over all the others mentioned so far, sorry guys, but it is much better;)

mexx78

Jan 23, 2004
Re: Cabarete

sunnyvillas said:
Hi Mexx,

The nicest property in Cabarete , right on the beach with full kitchens and very reasonably priced is : Magnifico

Thanks for the recommendation. I checked out their homepage a t Magnifico and I loved it first sight. Then I clicked through it until I saw the prices.
If Id come with my girlfriend - two people sharing one bed - it would be pricely ok - I come with some friends of mine and I dont think I want to sleep with them in one bed(room). We agreed on booking single rooms with large beds ;) ,it would come quite expensive than an all in holiday.

I found this hotel: Romanoff & Sanssouci. Its only with breakfast. Does anybody can say anything about it?
Max

Last edited:

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
MaX,

The rates at Magnifico start at $48 for a standard room or $55 for a suite with a full kitchen and they are for 2 peopel per night, not per person.
I don't know what you wanted to spend, but I think $24 per person is a great rate in Cabarete right on the beach. And you don't have a to share a bed either.

There is another nice spot: La Punta, all 1 bedroom units with a kitchens.
If you need any help with it, send me an email or a PM