Is this intentional to declare that Martial law must be imposed . . . .

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Todays new has a statement from Leonel "

President Leonel Fernandez has accused the PPH of purposely fostering conditions to impose a dictatorship on the country. "

These rediculous Gas and Propane shortages that have been artificially imposed could be intentional to ensure a Huegla is such that "Martial law must be imposed to protect the people" and of course that will cancel the elections.

I have the sinking suspision that all will agree with this, so there will be no debate.

-Lee

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Are we to surmise from this and other current threads on the subject that we could be facing a Fujimori-style auto-golpe (self-coup)?

For those who don't remember or are unfamiliar with this:

In April 1992 President Fujimori of Peru carried out a coup d'etat on his own government. He suspended the Peruvian constitution and dissolved the parliament, with the backing of the military. He used the fight against terrorist movements such as Shining Path and the MRTA as his main excuse, but the real reasons were that the legislators had not supported his proposed reforms.

Some, but not all the factors are present in the DR situation now.

We'll have to wait and see.

Chiri

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Interesting theory, but unlike Fujimori the people will not support Hip?lito as was the case with Fujimori. As a matter of fact we seem to have entered the meltdown state that finaly caused "El Chino" to take an indefinite vacation in the Land of the Rising Sun.

It's either that or that the government cannot come up with the money to pay generators or buy crude oil.

Profeta

Mar 17, 2003
It took the PRD close to 20 years to get back in power. This time around it is going to take them longer (At least 8 years and most likely an entire generation). The work the PRD has done over the last four years is so bad, it will remain in the minds of people for years to come. Some, including external stakeholders, might view that as dangerous considering the DR virtually has a two-party political system and some might still consider the origin of the PLD too dangerous for society. There is now an excellent opporutnity for the PLD to hold the reign of government for many years and in the view of the opposition that is as good as having a dictator. That is the reason why the PRD has now resorted to stupidity to keep some control of government. Otherwise, The chances for Hatuey, Fello, and Hipolito (again) to govern will be gone forever.

The next four years for the Dominican Republic will be crucial. Fernandez now has an opportunity to govern for 8 years and leave a positive legacy behind. This time around, the entire country wil put him in power rather than his political party. That represents a great opportunity to consolidate senatoral power as well. If he misses this opportunity, the likelyhood of the PRSC regaining popularity would be high and we all know the legacy that party left behind and the permanent mark it left on society.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re.: Fujimori
Unlike Fujimori, Hippo already has control of the congress, the JCE and pretty soon the supreme court. I hardly see any purpose to suspend the legislative branches of government since they pretty much do what ever the PPH wants anyway. Similarities between both cases, hardly any. I was in Peru before Fujimori left, and recently some months ago and I was surprised to hear from some people that they were better off with Fujimori. I doubt I'll hear something similar about Mejia from a Dominican.

El Chino Fujimori is the most favored person in Peruvian polls. Before he carried his auto golpe, his reforms led to Peru's economic miracle and hippo's reforms have led to.....well, we all know where.

As far as legacies left by the PRSC, I think theirs is no different from any other. Some people always tend to focus on the bad and the ugly. Well, why not remember any of the bad and the ugly left by the other two parties. Maybe if we did, some of you would have voted for the Hipster in the first place.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Cierto

True, some may still fear the origins of the PLD, but I believe, and agree with Profeta that this is a great opportunity for that party to establish itself as a the NY Yankees of Dominican politics, if they are able to leave a behind a postiive mark on the social consiousness..