Here is something we can all do

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
One of the worst things about the current situation is that most of us feel really impotent. Golo?s letter to the Miami Herald gave me a good idea. Yesterday I wrote to Ms. San Martin, the journalist, and exposed my ideas about her article and my concern about the present and future of our country. I also thanked her for paying attention and encouraged her to continue covering the situation of our country. She replied today.

She said that she?d like to continue her coverage, probably pay a visit to the country and that she would pass my letter on to the editor in the hope that it will be published. That gave me another idea. One thing I admire about the American public is that when they want change they actively seek to call attention on their plight. Letters to the media are an effective, simple recourse for the people with no voice.

So, I think that we can all get more attention if we start a campaign of contacting the foreign media. We are competing against news from all over the world, so in order to be effective we have to target the right people, the right media, from the right countries. With the help of Chirimoya we are compiling a list of journalist that covers the news for the DR. We can send them emails and see where this leads.

If you would like to join us please write a generic email that may be easily changed to suit each particular medium. These are a few suggestions.

• Be brief. 3 to 4 paragraphs at most.
  • If you are writing to a medium in your own country please mention your nationality. They will pay more attention to your letter if the situation seems to be affecting their fellow citizens.
  • Be factual. Please do not exaggerate. We want to appear credible, not like a bunch of hysterical lunatics with an agenda. Your facts should be easily verifiable and you should be ready to mention your sources (DR1 News come to mind).
  • Add a personal touch. Repeating the news just doesn?t cut it. State how it has affected you (even if you are an occasional visitor to the country), how it has affected the people that surround you.
  • Tell them about your fears and how their contribution may change the course of events.
  • Tell them how you feel that our situation has been ignored by them, or how you would like that they follow up in a recent story.
  • Try not to be sloppy, it is much easier if your letter is coherent, but don?t worry too much, we are just regular folks. Nobody is going to be nominated for the Nobel for this.
    [/list=a]

So? What do you say? Please let me have your comments and suggestions. If you are interested I can provide you with the email list we are compiling.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Good work PIB....

This idea "has legs". Unfortunately, truly free speech does not exist for Dominicans residing in their native land. Whenever a journalist or acitvist speaks their mind they are met by the long arm of the law. The rest of us can pretty much say what we wish, especially through the foreign media. I'm in. Let's try to get some attention prior to the election.

Scandall

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I know. And I suppose that if they publish my letter I am somewhat at risk. Buy hey! we are doing an omelette here.

Should I publish the list of journalist to email here?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
yup.....you should

No reason to wait...........let'm fly............things will undoubtably get worse before they get better.........we might as well start....

By the way PIB: If your house is raided in the wee hours of the morning and you are dragged off to jail..........we'll be right behind you........huh?........PIB?......PIB who?.........No entiendo...........hehe.

Don't worry. The full support of the imperialistic forces of DR1.com are with you............use the force.

Scandall

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Let's go for the Brits first...

Maria Esperanza Sanchez (Dominican) works for BBC radio news, previously for Latin America/Caribbean section of the BBC World Service:
maria.esperanza.sanchez@bbc.co.uk

Helen Wade too, journalist on BBC TV news and is interested in the DR situation
helen.wade@bbc.co.uk

Ian Bruce, BBC World, used to live here, married to Maria Esperanza
iain.bruce@bbc.co.uk

James Ferguson, author of Beyond the Lighthouse and contributor to UK press on DR issues:
jamesaferguson@btconnect.com

If you know of any other journalist that covers the D.R. pls. add his/her email here.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Pib, great idea. I also like DCFred's idea of a demonstration in fron of the Dominincan Embassy (after alerting the media). What I would like to do is compile a list of facts that irrefutable show just how Mejia has bankrupted this country. I am compiling some numbers from the Central Bank's own site. I would also like to gather facts about corruption of elected officials and businessmen. I would then summarize this and make pamphlets to hand out.

Would you mind e-mailing me a copy of your letter? Along with your O.P., I would like to use your letter as a guideline...and send to to a couple local newspapers...including the Boston Globe.

thanks

PS. I sent a few e-mails to the folk at the IMF last fall....with no substantive responses.....

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
It's in the mail...

My biggest concern is the possibility of a rigged election of the approval of the obviously unconstitutional "Ley de Lema" or whatever the name of its most reincarnation is. I suppose we should stress this fact more than our criticism to the government.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I'm in

NYC press would be especially valuable. As well as Leonel's recent statements that the country was being ripened for a dictatorship.

This IS something we can do!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Nancy San Martin from The Herald who has written several articles about the DR and is published by a few US newspapers.
NSanMartin@herald.com

Peter Prengaman, covers the DR news for AP and whose articles are carried by newspapers worldwide.
info@ap.org (Make sure to address it to the author above as this is a generic email address.

International Herald Tribune, Letters to the Editor. They recently ran story on the DR
letters@iht.com

Last edited:

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Suggestion

May I suggest someone contact the Jimmy Carter Institute? Wasn't it Carter who cut short Balaguers term by threatening to send troops there because of the fraudulent election? Maybe they would be able to help or provide direction?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
If you think of people that even if not interested in participating on DR1 you think would be interested in participating in our campaign, pls. encourage them to visit this thread and start sending out their emails.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
thanks for the letter

Pib, is there a way to factually show that imposing the Ley de Lemas just 4 months before the elections is unconstitutional? Are there any references to specific articles in the constitution that can support this argument? Also, are there any audio or video clips of prominent economists making this claim?

poquito_loco

Jan 26, 2004
prestige-hosting.com
Hell Yes!

Hello all,

I am in Atlanta, and I will be on the phone tomorrow morning to the Jimmy Carter institute, to find out what we can do.

I will also be finding out who at CNN might possibly do a story on the DR.

Iam not good at writing the story but i will sure as heck find out who we need to talk to and let ya'll know.

Get it "ya'll" I'm a southern boy. I have been following the site for a while and would like to help out however I can.

My wife is 1/2 Dominican does that count? So 5 of my kids are 1/4 Dominican.

I guess what I am trying to say is we "CARE".

So i will let you know what I find out "ASAP".

Best Regards, PL

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Although I provided contacts in the UK press we have to remember that it is the US press that will have most impact. They are far more interested in the subject than the UK press, although it is still a marginal issue.

Could people who have similar contacts in the US and other countries please share them?

I would also think it is worth petitioning the IDB, WB and the European Union about their donor money going to an institution (CONARE) whose head is actively promoting the Ley de Lemas.

Edited to add - Spain and Latin American / Caribbean countries may be worth targeting, if people have the contacts.

one more thing - to help other people compose letters perhaps people could share the texts of theirs?

Chiri

Last edited:

poquito_loco

Jan 26, 2004
prestige-hosting.com
OMG here it is!

OMG-OMG-OMG

Well, I just got off the phone with the Sr. Program Assc.

Mr. David Pottie, from the Carter Center in Atlanta.

I was informed that they are not planning to be involved in monitoring the upcomming election.

I asked who we could contact in regards to making further requests for their involvement.

I was given the name: Dr. David Carrol He is the Director of the Democracy Program. I even got his email addy:

djcarro@emory.edu

Now, on to CNN in Atlanta. I have left numerous messages this AM.

No call's back as of yet.

I have done some research and found the following:

send a news tip to cnn:

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form11.html?1

send a story idea to cnn:

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form11b.html?1

send idea for story to:

Public.Information@turner.com.

Here is a story I found recently published on CNN.com

ap/cnn story about upcomming elections:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/01/16/dominican.fernandezre.ap/index.html

Here is a good one I found from the Carter Center's previous involvement in the monitoring of the elections in the DR. Good info/Link in providing info for potential people willing to do a story on the issue.

P>S> Sorry I have not been able to get direct email info for the anchors/reporters on CNN I will keep trying.

Regards, PL