Argentina and DR

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Maybe a na?ve question again:

With all this talk about the DR capsizing and becoming like Argentina? I haven?t heard much about what is going on with Argentina?s economy after the Big Bang. Were they able to fix it? How did they fix (if they have at all) their situation? Does DR have hope after they hit rock bottom?

If it has been discussed, please redirect me to a the thread?

Thanks,

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
The IMF mission that visited Argentina asked the government to speed up negotiations and offer more than 25 cents on the dollar for the defaulted bonds. The government turned down the request for bigger payments.

The IMF has said that a ``number of open issues'' needed to be resolved before it could resume disbursements, and the pace of the negotiations with bondholders was one of them, spokesman Thomas Dawson said.

Argentina needs to restructure its debt before it can return to international credit markets, boost confidence in its economy and extend this year's economic recovery after four years of recession.

Last edited:

principe

Nov 19, 2002
It aint over

Also, Argentina experienced growth above 8 percent, and the stock index in Argentina gave average earnings above 90%.

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
From the AP:

...Mejia's unpopular re-election bid, and charges by his own party members that he rigged voter lists to ensure victory in a Jan. 18 presidential primary, has raised fears of a return to fraudulent balloting.

The European Union has warned it would cut aid if the May 16 presidential election is manipulated, which would cost the country $324 million over the next four years.

michelle2504

Jan 29, 2003
I'm glad the European Union has "put it's foot down" so to speak hopefully that will make anyone think twice about cheating to win the election.

Michelle

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Yeahhhh, the European Union! Next on my mailing list...

(Does anyone have an email address for the EU?)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
EU local delegation:

Edificio Plaza J.R. pisos 7?, 8?, 9?
Avenida Tiradentes esq. Roberto Pastoriza
Ensanche Naco
Santo Domingo

Phone: 540 58 37
Fax: 227 05 10

E-mail: eudeldom@codetel.net.do

Suggest write to Ambassador Miguel Amado and congratulate him on his stance - then go on to express concerns.

Chiri

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Just done it. I would imagine he does. Think he is Portuguese nationality, but knowing Spanish should be a pre-requisite for the job! Otherwise, there must be minions ;) who would translate for him.

Chiri

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
DR's credit rating was downgraded today, see my entry under business with the press release issued by Fitch.