North and south differences?

wil

Oct 12, 2003
profiles.yahoo.com
Can someone give me a short basic fundamental difference between the PP area and the SD/BC area. I recently went to BC and Cotui and want to go back in a couple of months, but also want to see Sosua and Las Terrenos. I don't really want to be around mostly tourists, is that the case in the north. Thank you.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Touristy Areas

I for one find Las Terrenas less touristy than other resorts.
There are several beaches (with Punta Bonita being the most scenic) scattered along the coast, clusters of tourists are hardly seen.
The visitors break down in several nationalities (mainly French, Italians and Germans) who don?t seem to gang up in larger groups.
The various nationalities add favourably to the variety of restaurants and small hotels.
The peninsula itself is surely one of the most scenic parts of the country with a lush vegetation not found in other tourist places.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
For a variety of reasons, the Samana Peninsula, though the most beautiful part of the island, has been the slowest to develop as a tourist center.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Not a disadvantage really

Considering what a more rapid growth of tourism has done to other resorts I welcome the slow advancement here.
The development, however, is fast enough to attract a low standard type of AI-tourism from which the country will not benefit much.

wil

Oct 12, 2003
profiles.yahoo.com
I guess what I'm looking to find out is...is the north mostly meant for the foreign tourists, whereas around SD I will find more Dominicans, and just life as is.? Thanks for the replys.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
The Answer Is ...

wil said:
I guess what I'm looking to find out is...is the north mostly meant for the foreign tourists, whereas around SD I will find more Dominicans, and just life as is.? Thanks for the replys.
Yes.

We North Coasters look down our noses at any Dominicans that have the bad taste to show their faces anywhere outside of Puerto Plata, or Sosua, even if they are only engaged in some form of menial labor for our ex-pat haciendas, like serving us gin & tonics by the swimming pool, trimming the grass to a previously agrred upon appropriate height with machetes, washing the horses, helping me shave in the morning, assisting Golo deposit his pesos with the Central Bank, etc.

If you want (although I couldn't ever imagine why) to meet some real Dominicans best you go to the south coast and mingle with Robert's friends. We just won't stand for that sort of mysogeny thing up here!

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited: