Cost of whale-watching boat trip from Saman? Harbor

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Two years ago I went whale-watching with a friend in Saman?. We stayed the night before at a budget hotel and then went early to the harbor. There were loads of medium-size boats all clamoring for tourist business with wide-ranging prices as well. I remember haggling with a whole bunch and paying RD$450 per head (when US$ was worth RD$17). The boat left around 9:30, spent 45 min circling whale-rich areas, headed to Cayo Levantado, left us for lunch/beach before taking us back around 3pm.

I'm taking two visitors tomorrow to repeat the same ritual. But I'd like to know what the going rate is now that the exchange rate is wildly different.

Any clue ?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
None at all except

You should get in touch with Kim Beddel--I am sure that Ken or an Archive search will find you her email. She is the pioneer in this business and the best by far.

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
See http://www.whalesamana.com/home.html

Kim Beddall, the founder of whale watching in Samana, will give you a real excursion. Her price is at upper end of range, but the tour is worth it. You can get boats to take you for less, but they will just take you to see whales and back. And the least expensive tours are offered in boats that give no protection from sun, wind, rain or waves and, in my opinion, not suited for taking passenges into the outer bay of Samana. What you see from the dock is not what it is like where the whales are.