general strike and safe travel?

Teresa

Jan 30, 2004
Hello! I'm new to the forum and about to go on my first trip to the DR. I've read in the papers about a General Strike and violence. :)() Will this prevent me from getting a taxi from Santo Domingo to the Bayahibe area resorts? I'm really nervous!

Thanks,

Teresa

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The two day strike is over and nothing similar has been scheduled.

It is true there was some violence, but this was almost entirely between police and demonstrators in the poorer areas of Santiago and Santo Domingo. And, in these cases, there is always the suspicion that the violence was provoked by the police.

In most of the country, the two days were very peaceful. In fact, in Sosua you wouldn't even know a strike was in progress except for the reduction in public transportation.

Come without worry and enjoy your visit.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Ken, are we living in the same country?

There were thousands of people killed in Santiago.. We're under martial law right now.. its very unsafe outside..

Maybe its better on the coast, I don't know.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Thousands Dead? Martial Law?

adrianb said:
Ken, are we living in the same country? There were thousands of people killed in Santiago.. We're under martial law right now.. its very unsafe outside .. Maybe its better on the coast, I don't know.
That's all news to Alba and the kids in Santiago!

Adrian you need to get out of that apartment more often. I am really starting to worry about you, man! Same country? I am not even sure if you're on the same planet! But whatever you're taking, send me some. It'll take the edge off all my difficulties, for sure.

Tom (aka XR)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
adrianb said:
Hey Tom.. you want some? Its called making a mean joke on the new guy.. :)

adrian, you seem to be the only one who thinks you have a sense of humor. But be that as it may, your future feeble attempts should be posted in the Clown Bin.

When a first-time poster writes in with an honest concern about security during a coming trip to the DR, only somebody prone to shouting "fire" in a crowded theater would post what you did.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Bring It On, Aussie!

Adrian, please note the Big-Smile-Smilie attached to my previous post. That's Australian for I'm joking, too.

Tom (aka XR)

Dec 9, 2002
Not in the least bit funny Adrian.

I had already read the report about 8 people dying, that in itself is bad enough. How you can try to make a joke about these things is beyond me. Not only that, but you are giving a very bad impression of DR1 and it's members to a new poster, who asked a straightforward question and admitted to being nervous of the situation. How did you think she would take your post? Would she know you were joking? No. And neither did I.

I am constantly worried about the health and welfare of my husband and his family over there in DR. I do not need to read posts such as yours, especially if they are meant as a joke. No-one found it funny though:disappoin

SPRINGFEVER

Jan 20, 2004
I READ THE NEWS AND AM STILL CONCERNED

Even I knew that "thousands killed" was insane! However I am still concerned about the energy crisis. We are coming 2nd week of Feb. can we expect power outages? Or no transportation? Or maybe no fuel for the plane so we could stay longer?:cheeky: I would really like to thank all of you who do answer are questions no matter how trivial they sound to you. Coming to a new country can be alittle stressful and now reading about this strike and the doctors strike, and bad reviews on Jack Tar. At least I know it will be warm. We (Minnesotans) are getting snow again tonight!!!! See ya all soon:bunny: SNOW BUNNY

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
You'll be Fine!

There's usually a big difference between the conditions you find for those of us living here full time, or with Dominican families, and those that tourists face for a week or two while they are here.

Generally speaking the tourist areas, where I live, are affected hardly at all by the strikes, and shortages. At least not in comparison to the rest of the country. And, when you're visiting and in an AI? You'll never even know. The electricity for Playa Dorada and a number of the communities around it is supplied by a private company. Hell will freeze over, or our Vikings will win a superbowl, before they let the tourists struggle without power, amenities, or fruity tropical rum drinks with little bamboo umbrellas.

Me, I still have to scrounge for my diesel fuel, and there is also an acute shortage outside the AI's of daiquri mix and bamboo drink umbrellas.

Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
Where in Minnesota? I am from Dubuque originally, your neighbors to the south on the ole' Rio Mississippi.

Last edited:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Oh come on.. Ken loves correcting my posts.. I knew he'd be here within 5 minutes with something to say.. :)

One of the things I love the most about this country is the sense of humour.. I'm sure most people here have tried asking for directions in Santo Domingo, and spent the afternoon fruitlessly driving around the city.. While that particular joke can be a big hassle, many other things the Dominicans do are hilarious.

This is a country of people having fun, even now while things are tough. I admire it very much.

SPRINGFEVER

Jan 20, 2004
Everyone is so helpful

How could I not come. Everyone (except Ken) is so helpful. And the sarcasm gotta love it! I am debating though, I think I'd rather have a Superbowl win, than eletricity and foo foo drinks. And if you were here you would think hell froze over everyday last week it was well below zero. Now the next 3 days more snow!:bunny:

dhermes

Feb 2, 2004
Springfever-

Where in Minnesota? We are from Andover, MN. My wife and I, and 4 other couples leave Feb. 10 for 7 days at the Riu Merengue. Would write more but I need to get the snowblower out again this morning.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Springfever -

I think you made a mistake - you said Ken was not helpful. Let me tell you he is one of the most knowledgable persons on this message board. His kindness to every new person on this board is incredible and his intelligent answers ( even tho he must be getting tired of answering the same questions over and over and over!) have, I'm sure, helped many a person.
Didn't you mean to say Adrianb who made the supposed joke in answer to the safety of the DR !! I sure hope so !!
Anyway, have a wonderful trip, and believe me, a war could break out and you wouldn't know it when you stay at an AI, they are so self-contained !! But definitely, get out of the resort and experience the DR otherwise you can't truly say you have been to the DR !! It is a wonderful country, and has a lot more to offer than just beaches and sankies!!!
BTW - my husband is from Isle,MN (Mille Lacs !!) but we live in Canada - an hour north of International Falls, so bring us back some sun and warmth!!
Marlie

SPRINGFEVER

Jan 20, 2004
My apologizes to ken

I meant adrianb not Ken. Please forgive me. Oh and I do plan on getting out . What do you know about Gipsy Ranch? I heard the have great horseback riding. I am in southern MN. we are expected to get 12 more inches today!:bunny: SNOW BUNNY

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
strike

adrianb,

That really was not funny. There are enough problems getting the tourists back to DR without setting off the sprinklers.

SPRINGFEVER

Jan 20, 2004
I JUST READ DR1 NEWS

I read that the energy crisis is affecting the northern coast and resorts have two weeks supply??? So am I still not to worry???? Cause I am!!! I will be there a week from tomorrow(Friday the 13th). It is snowing again, we are expected to get 9 more inches!!!! :bunny: