Statement by Hippo

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
"God knows that it is not ambition, but love of my people that pushes me to fight this new battle."

about his bid to seek re-election.

I almost got sick, this statement is disgusting.

What a joke, if he loved his people he would do them a favor and NOT run for re-election.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
An even better one, was his statement a couple of days ago that "If given the chance to stay four more years, he will put and end to poverty in the DR"...
I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
suarezn said:
"If given the chance to stay four more years, he will put and end to poverty in the DR.

What he means is: "All the poor will have starved to death."

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Hey, don't you remember? Hippo promised to eradicate poverty by the end of first term! So of course, since he's a man of his word (cough, cough) there must not be any poverty anymore in the DR! So why is he even talking about it anymore??? Geez!

It's as my cousin in SD said on the phone last night: Hippo's idea of establishing a classless society in the DR is making everyone equally poor.

Keith

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Conchman said:
"God knows that it is not ambition, but love of my people that pushes me to fight this new battle."

Maybe he means his family and the PPH people that are on the government payroll-- that is those within the PRD that support his bid for reelection. It has been said that some 100,000+ people on the government payroll would be sent home if there is a change in government.

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
"It has been said that some 100,000+ people on the government payroll would be sent home if there is a change in government."

Haven't they been sitting at home doing nothing, all the time?

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
gerd said:
"It has been said that some 100,000+ people on the government payroll would be sent home if there is a change in government."

Haven't they been sitting at home doing nothing, all the time?

Actually, that is not entirely true. While some of them might be at home doing nothing, there are a good number of slackers warming office chairs and holding up brooms at work.

Of course, I mean no disrespect to those who have real meaningless jobs that have been invented to keep them busy. There are some of them who are actually quite productively gumming everything up.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Maybe he means his family and the PPH people that are on the government payroll

I doubt this is what he means..

We have all run across extreme arrogance in latinos who have money or power. They abuse it to excess, as seen across all of latin america.

Latinos don't question those in authority like other countries. Saddam Hussein's former dictatorship is a more extreme example of this. I suspect Hippo's inner circle has some similarities and non-questioning.

So I think he truly believes he is going to save the country. And now its a great test of the newly emerging Dominican democratic system to see if it can protect itself from someone like him. Its already failed the first test, since he was elected to run for his party.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
adrianb, I may have misread your post, but despite sharing a fondness for a similar style of facial fuzz, Saddam Hussein can hardly be called a "Latino".

On a more serious note, I often wonder about the apparently unlimited capacity so many people here have for self-delusion. What is worse? That they might actually believe they are doing good or a cynical, self-interested, desire to enrich themselves by squeezing the country dry?

Chiri

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
.....It has been said that some 100,000+ people on the government payroll would be sent home if there is a change in government.

Hmmmmm. 100,000 x average monthly wage of RD $6,000 means RD $60 MILL going into National coffers!!! Could this mean that You Dolores, Scott, Tony C, Golo & I won't have to pay our heavy income taxes any more?? RD $60 Mill per month will be the equivalent to US $1 Mill in a week or two & would also go a long way to pay back some of the interest on the foreign loans Hippo et al have "negotiated"!!! - Grahame.