traveling to Punta Cana with a 20month old

dublinshar

Feb 2, 2004
Hi,

we are staying at the Melia Caribe in Punta Cana for a week in Feb and unfortunately have heard a lot of mixed reviews. We have a 20 month old so I'm a little concerned about her, i.e. bug bites, bad food etc. However, I also wonder at the perception that the staff are not helpful simply because they don't speak english. My husband and I have always considered ourselves to be friendly people but should I expect "bad service" simply because we do not speak spanish? Any tips that would make this a memorable and happy trip would be welcome.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The hotel you are staying at is very spread out. Suggest you try to get a room that is close to the beach so you can walk there. Your baby will enjoy feeling the sand under his feet. But for sure your child will enjoy the small cars that make the trip around the hotel.

Put your apprehensions aside. There are few places in the Caribbean more children-friendly than the Dominican Republic. Just smile, be courteous, and try a word or two of Spanish and the staff will warm up to you and you will make lots of friends. Dominicans have a well-earned reputation as some of the most friendly people in the world. Please tell us of your experiences with your baby upon your return by posting a trip report.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
sunburn will be a far bigger problem for your daughter than bugs or bad food. sunscreen and hat at all times-even when swimming-are essential.

bug spray isn't necessary unless the problem is really severe. pants or knee socks from dusk onwards should keep the mosquitos away. cow's milk is not always readily available at AI resorts. you will have to ask for it: "leche por favor" while pointing to your child usually works. yogurt seems to be a bit more common.

pack diapers if you want, they will be available but somewhat pricy. swim diapers are not so pack those. the space they take up can be used to bring home souveniers.

my now 5 yr old travelled to RD for the first time at 9 mo. with his then 6 yr old brother. i receive more attention travelling with them than when i travel alone.

mob

trt

Feb 3, 2004
Hi, we moved to the DR a couple of months ago with our son, now aged 17 months. As noted here, dominicans tend to be very friendly and love children; our son is always fussed over, talked to, smiled at, wherever we go. Learning just a few words of spanish is a great idea, plus, just smile and greet people, etc. My experience here has been that if you are friendly, people are extremely gracious in return. Also, be patient; your room might not have a crib when you get there, and it might take a few minutes at the restaurants before they find you a high chair, but just be ready for things to take a little while, and you'll be fine.

I would bring mosquito repellant, just to be safe; we've had lots of them lately, especially in late afternoon early evening when you are apt to be walking to the restaurants, etc. If your child doesn't like to sit still for the spray, try those towelettes with repellant; I think OFF makes them.

Have a great time.

dublinshar

Feb 2, 2004
thanks for the advice

Thanks to those of you who wrote back to my post yesterday. I can't get over how popular this site seems to be. It's great and I will definitely take all advice given. Also, Dolores, I would be only too happy to report on our trip upon our return. Again, thank you for your kind replies (and I'll work on my spanish :)

jessc79

Feb 18, 2004
Bump

I have a 9 month old and we might win a trip for next month through my husband's work. I am still nursing him but he is eating some foods. Is it ridiculous to think I can take him with me? What do you do for things like car seats on the way from the airport and what about drinking water for me? I have only started to do research since we aren't even sure if we will win or not.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
jessc79 said:
I have a 9 month old and we might win a trip for next month through my husband's work. I am still nursing him but he is eating some foods. Is it ridiculous to think I can take him with me? What do you do for things like car seats on the way from the airport and what about drinking water for me? I have only started to do research since we aren't even sure if we will win or not.

of course you should bring him with you. both my boys travelled out of Canada for the first time at 9 mo. of age while they were still being breastfed. if you want a car seat you will have to bring your own, however if your trip to the hotel from the airport is by bus you will find there are no seatbelts to strap the seat down and taxis are unlikely to have a hook for the tether strap although they should have a lap belt. as for other baby gear, an umbrella-type stroller is all you will need. cribs and high chairs are available in the hotels.

bottled water is safe to drink and readily available, ice cubes in the hotels are from purified water as well. use the search button and you will find loads of info here on travelling with children. good luck.

mob

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I LIVE FOR SSS Repellen/Sunblock for kids from Avon. I have heard on some news reports that the stuff doesnt work, well, I have tried it now for 6 years on 2 kids, NO BITES, NOT BURNS! One time I left my overnight bag behing and ended up buying some Mustella stuff there, expensive and it did nothing. So I will never go for anything else.

Try the powder milk or Carnation milk instead of the cow's milk they give you there. My kids get sick from it, but with the powder milk and/or carnation, they are ok.

I was just there with my 5 month old... Have fun!!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
jessc79 said:

I know you are asking for safety reasons, but if you are going to pretty much stay in the hotel - you dont even need a car seat. It is not against the law to carry your child in your lap (in the backseat, of course) so if you want to bring a stroller only for walks and so forth, you will be fine.

Like the post above stated, a lot of cars' seatbelts dont work or have none, the carseat will serve no purpose. The carseat becomes a neusense and cumbersome not only on the plane, but also on land if you will not put it to good use. You will have baby on-tow, bags, diapers, etc, so whatever you can skip, do so.