Columbus Lighthouse visit

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Spent an afternoon touring the Columbus Lighthouse on Sunday with an 11-year old and a 13-year old and two 70+ grandmothers. Everyone enjoyed it. Hadn't been there since I interviewed the architect who built it. My impression is that it may be the best of museums in the DR today. Takes about two hours to see the whole museum that is three floors on each side. Something like walking at least two kilometers. Best time of the year to go is now -- in the winter/spring time. Cost is RD$30 for adults, and RD$5 for children. Probably there is a higher fee for foreign visitors, but this place is well worth a visit.

Actually, we ended up there because we had to wait for the 2 pm opening of the Logos II bookstore on a ship. Not many bargains to be found there, but worth a trip for browsing.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Are the neighborhood folks still dumping their garbage on the Lighthouse grounds? I have not been inside the lighthouse, but plan to when I go in March. The outside of the lighthouse, has really fallen on hard times in the last 12 years, and its a shame.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I did not notice much change from how the exterior gardens have been kept previously. Some of the laurel trees on the south side need pruning, but the rest is just like it always has been and continues to be in surprising good condition.

Can't say the same for the Panamerican facilities built on the Mirador del Este Park adjacent to the Lighthouse. That is a very sad story, indeed, although what has happened is a surprise for no one. A fence impedes Dominicans from using the area and the world class monumental sports venues within built by the Mejia government stand out like enormous white elephants. While driving by, I dreamed of the day when thousands of Dominicans could benefit from the millions that the abandoned facilities are costing Dominican taxpayers, and these facilities could be marketed worldwide for continuous sports events. That is not an impossible dream.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I visited the Faro de Colon while taking classes at the UASD through City College in NYC in the summer of 96. I found it to be interesting in the history on how the idea came about (maybe someone can give a better explanation than I am capable of) and it was actually built. As I walked around and looked at the exhibits by various countries around the world, they seemed to glorify European colonization of the Americas. Even Cuba's exhibit was a bit soft on the subject.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I visited in 2002 and really enjoyed the exhibits from the various countries. Colombia's stood out in my memory--lovely gold. The US contribution was pathetic--just a letter from Bill Clinton, I think.

The only problem I had was the aggresiveness of the staff in removing my camera. I felt they had a poor attitude. I didn't really want to give them my camera bag so I left the camera. They were *certain* I was going to do bad things with my camera.

The grounds were very clean as was the interior of the museum. We tried very hard to get the guards to crack a smile. When asked if there was a 24-hour watch over the tomb, the answer was, "No, this is a 9-5 gig." Purely for show, I guess, and not statesmanship.

I would have liked to have seen the lights in the evening but we didn't stay in town.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
From what I've been told the lights are only turned on for "special occassions." I was in Santo Domingo in June, August and December-January, and did not see them on during those visits. I'm not sure when a "special occassion" would be.
Perhaps Feb. 27?