Contacts for floor tiles??

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Before the next rainy season starts I want to tile my "Sun Bathing" area on my flat roof to my jouse. There is some 220 Sq. Mtrs to be tiled & at the moment the best price I have been quoted make FAR too big a dent in my bank account - RD $104 K plus!! (RD $350 per sq. mtr = RD $82,500, PLUS fitting & cement etc a further RD $22,000).

Does anyone have good contacts where I might negotiate a better per Sq. mtr cost? "Liquidated stock", 'End of ranges', 2 or 3 different designs acceptable (as long as the designs don't clash) & 'Colour' is not important as it is 'Up on the roof, out of general site' & is being used more as a means to waterproofing the roof against the heavy rains that fall during rainy sesons!!

My bank manager will be greatly appreciative of any savings anyone can make for me!! - Grahame.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Shuddup Escott

That is a lot of money.

Hache has sales every once in a while with tiles at up to 50% off. Just check with them when the next one is scheduled.

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
don't do it

Hi Grahame
I think all of us with flat roofs have the same problem and I have been looking into it for a few weeks now.
Tiling will NOT waterproof the roof, rather water will penetrate through the grout and any imperfections in the ceramic glaze and thus stay under tiles making any problem worse as there is less possibility for evaporation.
A solution is properly laid tar and (heat sealed) roofing felt but this is really ugly and not ideal for walking on. (gets a bit sticky when hot!)
Ochoa in Santiago has a few varities of 5 gall drums of roof sealing paint but I have no idea which is best.
I am currently looking at a company in Cabarete that does a plasticised coating process for 140 pesos a square metre with a good guarantee.
Will let you know.
Anyone else have a solution??
cheers
Graham

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thanks Graham/Pib for your constructive responses & thank you TOO Gregg for your e-mail. I will get on to those suggested/recommended & get back with my findings. I will be pleased to get any input from your enquiries Graham.

Don't be too hard on Escott Pib, he meant it as a jest just to be an irritant. He is in fact a Mr. Cheapy Cheapy like myself - look at how he boasts about offering lower than sensible offers for properties!! He understands very well the need to be prudent on what to pay for things in this country so as to ensure one is not ripped off!! Anyway, I paid for a drink for him at Rocky's on Sunday so he is still acceptable in my books despite his barbs at me every so often!! - Grahame