Decamps out?

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
I don't have a clue about what's going on with Decamps being taken out of the PRD presidency. Can someone explain this and how they can actually replace him? Isn't there some sort voting system for this or atleast a term which he must serve? Please, if someone can clear this I'll appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Apr 26, 2002
The more interesting question is how the PPH will wrest control of the PRD headquarters building on Bolivar and the PRD website.

Isn't it about time for Hippo's thugs to set fire to the Reichstag???

Last edited:

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
hatuey was named the president of the prd, after being selected legitimately, one way or another by members of that same party.

there is no minimum term to serve - we are talking about the president of a political party, not the country itself.

whether you like him or not, he is the real president of the prd and the fact that the party is being hijacked by the pph is as much expected as disturbing.
this is the only way they can get their man to run for presidency again. the fact that subervi was not deposed as secretary as well is because he has already shown that he can be "persuaded" to change sides.

i have no doubt that hatuey will have the last say in all of this, he is a man who will always have the best hand of cards. hm knows this (hm is still trying to get on the good side of hatuey, even to going to the extent of turning up for a descamps family funeral the other day - only to fly off very quickly in his helicopter after a verbal humiliation), but the thugs are still having a go at deposing him.

the one to watch is sjb - he is particularly worrying, and one of the masterminds behind the whole re-election push. more than twenty years of being president and he is still causing a lot of damage (possibly irreparable) to the prd.

if the day comes and hatuey accepts the change of prd presidency then all hope is lost. we will have to rely on leonel to oust hm and that won't be as easy as you think.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Interesting about the scene between Hippo and Hatuey in the funeral. The press reported it in a positive way, showing the two of them embracing like old friends. What was the "verbal humiliation"?

Chiri

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Isn't it about time for Hippo's thugs to set fire to the Reichstag???

Persons unknown did it last night to the PRD hdq's with some home-made fire bombs.

Regards, PJT

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hatuey will be kicked out of the party headquarters by Vicente's thugs, I'm aafraid to say. He will have to concede. Hatuey was givne the presidency of the party back in 1999 by the same people who now want him gone.
Both Vicente and Hatuey are from my town of Cotui. We all know them well, and let me tell you, Vicente is not a guy to mess with. This guy always travels around with two or three Jeepetas full of people armed to the teeth...He's already shown that he's capable of utilizing violent means to get his ways...he (his crew) threw a granade at the electoral board a while back...
In the end Hatuey will capitulate, because he's not a violent guy, but a bit more diplomatic...But watch out for him, cause he's a master politician. This spells trouble for Hippo...He will have to do some major convincing to get Hatuey back on his side.
Personally I just hope they both go at it and go out in "a blaze of glory"...One way to get rid of a few parasites....

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
I got a phone call.

I don't know if it's true, yet.

But I was told, that a bunch of old timers, are barricaded in the party head-quarters, and have threaten, to start, shooting it out, if HD, is not re-installed.

Anybody else, hear this???

Thanks
Tim H.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
What has happened is that some of Hatuey's follwers have gone to the party in order to prevent Sanchez Baret and his criminals from coming in. Sanchez Baret, apart from being one butt ugly MOFO is nnot a pleasant man to be around with.
He supposedly passed by and when se saw they were not waiting for him with flowers, he decided to pull and Arnold and say he'll be back.

Hatuey is probably one of the best informed men in the country and he also has muscle. He knows how to wait for the right time to strike and I bet he has the goods on Hippo and his cronies and is waiting for the most favorable moment to hit back.

Hatuey has been Hippo's fiercest opponent (Leonel is a pussy cat compared to him) and has always been coherent in stating that he wont sign Hippo's candidacy. Therefore the Hippster has no choice but to disable Hatuey politically whatever it takes. He is making sure he has something to fall back on in case he looses the elections. What is he gonna fall back on......the PRD. The party that controls the senate, the congress, the Junta Central and just about everything else. Hence if Leonel wins, hippo's still got him by the balls. Anything that Leonel wishes to do in the next 4 years he's going to have to ask pretty please to Hipolito.

I am convinced that Hippo is not the dumbass I thought he was, but I still think he's a fat piece of crap. He knows that in order to win in politics there are sometimes that you have to risk it all and that is something Leonel and our other political leaders have not learned yet or are afraid to do.

Apr 26, 2002
Sorry, Timex, but you are grossly mistaken. According to the venerable and respected newspaper "Listin Diario", a few PRD senators are known to simply be trying to "avoid" the new PRD president. I see no reports of armed occupation of party headquarters, the throwing of a molotov cocktail or a repulsed visit by the highly regarded new party president Vicinte Sanchez Baret. Check your sources!

I also learned by reading today's column in the "Listin Diario" by respected commentator Alfredo E. Newman that private sector debt actually exceeds public sector debt - proving once and for all that the national economic crisis has been caused by the wealthy oligarchs and not by any action of our respected and esteemed President, The Honorable Agronomo Hipolito Mejia Dominguez.

Also, it is reported that the administration of Leonel Fernandez from 1996-2000 is known to have been among the "worst administered" in the history of our otherwise well-governed nation. And this position is endorsed by Reformista candidate Estrella.

Consistent with the "Listin Diario's" commitment to truth, there is also a large format advertisement for the World Bank shown on the Listin's website. A simple click on the banner informs us that the World Bank's primary goals are to end hunger and eradicate HIV. Once again, it is only through the Listin that false rumor and speculation can be controlled.

On a personal note, I am pleased to see the World Bank and the Dominican government's Central Bank, which controls the "Listin Diario", working together in the creation of that advertisement. We should all hope to see the Central Bank, the World Bank and its sister institution the IMF working together for years to come in their combined efforts to eradicate poverty in the DR.

Timex, if you insist on spreading rumors and speculation, then Ley 2004-23 will increase the tax on your Brugal purchases by 100% as a penalty. Come to think of it, it will do that for everyone. Anyway, you have been warned.

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
samiam said:

The party that controls the senate, the congress, the Junta Central and just about everything else. Hence if Leonel wins, hippo's still got him by the balls. Anything that Leonel wishes to do in the next 4 years he's going to have to ask pretty please to Hipolito.

I am convinced that Hippo is not the dumbass I thought he was, but I still think he's a fat piece of crap. He knows that in order to win in politics there are sometimes that you have to risk it all and that is something Leonel and our other political leaders have not learned yet or are afraid to do.

SamIam: Great summary...you got it right. Hippo is not stupid when it comes to politics. The PPH has completely out-maneuvered everybody else within the PRD. If Leonel wins he's going to have a heck of a time getting anything done, which means a disillusioned electorate for 2008, and guess who will be trying to get back into power...Yep the Hippo himself. Leonel will have to find a way to disable the PPH politically or he will be in big trouble.
I still don't see Leonel becoming president. He will have to get at least 60% of the vote in the first round for this to happen.
There are certain factors that may help him, though. These are:
-Pressure from the US to have relatively clean elections
-Hatuey - Hippo will probably convince him to at least be neutral
-The catholic church - This is the most important of all. Nobody wins an election in the DR without the church's support or at least neutral position. If the cardinal continues to pronounce himself against Hippo and the PPH then that spells trouble for them, because the sheep...I mean the people...will completely follow whatever the church tells them to do.
I LOVE Dominican politics!!! It's like a reality show (survivor comes to mind) with all kinds of twists and turns...
Now where's Golo to give us a better scoop...

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
which means a disillusioned electorate for 2008, and guess who will be trying to get back into power...Yep the Hippo himself.
Don't laugh at my naivete, BUT Article 49 of the newly-minted Constitution says:

El Poder Ejecutivo se ejerce por el Presidente de la Rep?blica, quien ser? elegido cada cuatro a?os por voto directo. El Presidente de la Rep?blica podr? optar por un segundo y ?nico per?odo constitucional consecutivo, no pudiendo postularse jam?s al mismo cargo, ni a la Vicepresidencia de la Rep?blica.

I know that Decamps is your typical caco caliente, but the enemy of my enemy is my friend....So, Hatuey? You go, guy!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Jane: Remember that in the DR, the constitution is just a piece of paper which is modified to suit the wants of specific groups. Also remember that the PRD - PPH - controls everything (both chambers of the congress, the electoral board, the supreme court, the army, etc...) Thus they could change the constitution to say whatever they wish.

One more thing I forgot to mention as to why I still don't believe Leonel will be president is that Hippo and the PPH have everybody's phone tapped (Reportedly, even the vice-president's)...so they know everybody's move before they make it. It's like a chess game where one of the oponent, has inside information on what moves will take place next...How do you win in that situation?

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
suarezn -
I have the same impression that you have. I dont think Leonel has the next elections in his pocket, as a matter of fact, if he doesnt make it thru the 1st round with over 55%, I doubt he'll win.

Perhaps its my perception but I think that he has been deflating recently and the accusations that his party made against the Reformist candidate(That Eduardo was a PPH candidate) is now backfiring a bit. As it now turns, Eduardo Estrella has been the most outspoken critic of the Hipolito sponsored Ley de Lemas. Perhaps in a political attempt to distance himself from that stigma that both the PLD and PRD gave him and preventing his inner party rival (Jacinto Peynado) from competing with him, thus forcing Peynado's people to join or leave him for good. From the commentators and news programs I've seen I heard his candidacy is growing again, and I dont think those are PRD votes he's gaining but votes from people who aren't hard core militants of any party but tend to vote PRSC/PLD.
What do you think about that? I like politics here, they are so colorful and tasty.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Chirimoya said:
Interesting about the scene between Hippo and Hatuey in the funeral. The press reported it in a positive way, showing the two of them embracing like old friends. What was the "verbal humiliation"?

Chiri

well....maybe verbal humiliation wasn't the best way of expressing it.
some 'jovial comments' were made about hm arriving in his helicopter. i don't think hipolito saw the funny side and left in a fluster.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Hatuey should paint the whole place a different color to make the split of the prd a reality like Bosch did back in the days.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
any suggestions?

No, he would insist that his is the real PRD and that Hippo's lot should pick a new colour.

Maybe we could help them choose....

Chiri

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
principe said:
Hatuey should paint the whole place a different color to make the split of the prd a reality like Bosch did back in the days.

Well, it took 25+ years and another candidate for Bosch to win, and somehow I dont think Hatuey wants to wait that long.

Yeah, brown is a very appropriate color the PRD/PPH.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
...word has it (monday night - 16/2) that hatuey has more or less accepted he can't do anything about hipolito. if this is true then i am bitterly disappointed. not so much because hatuey does not seem to have that trump card as i thought, but because hipolito has been allowed to get away with everything.

with henry mejia having been substituted (he would have given any campaign money direct to hatuey instead of sanchez baret, who surely should resign from his position in the customs department) and with the powers that be recognising the new man as the head of the prd, there is just no room left for hatuey.

what's worse is that eligio is sweet-talking fello and ortiz bosch into making agreements with the pph - along with esquea, these are the two that are to blame for splitting the prd. hopefully any agreement is too late.

although he can't make the declaration himself, i assume he would prefer his followers vote for leonel. he, himself will probably not vote.

....more than anything else, i would like hipolito to go, but i am still not convinced leonel will win.

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
bochinche said:
...word has it (monday night - 16/2) that hatuey has more or less accepted he can't do anything about hipolito. if this is true then i am bitterly disappointed. not so much because hatuey does not seem to have that trump card as i thought, but because hipolito has been allowed to get away with everything.

with henry mejia having been substituted (he would have given any campaign money direct to hatuey instead of sanchez baret, who surely should resign from his position in the customs department) and with the powers that be recognising the new man as the head of the prd, there is just no room left for hatuey.

what's worse is that eligio is sweet-talking fello and ortiz bosch into making agreements with the pph - along with esquea, these are the two that are to blame for splitting the prd. hopefully any agreement is too late.

although he can't make the declaration himself, i assume he would prefer his followers vote for leonel. he, himself will probably not vote.

....more than anything else, i would like hipolito to go, but i am still not convinced leonel will win.

All I have to say is - God help the DR if this incompetent, greedy, bloodsucking canpesino remains in office!