Visa

Kit

Feb 2, 2004
If we travel with a Canadian Passport are we still required to pay $10 for a visa when we go to the DR?

If we do need to get the Visa can we purchase it in Toronto before we leave?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You do not need a visa. You need to purchase a tourist card that costs US$10 and can be purchased at the airport of entry.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
The charters from Canada used to include the price of the tourist card and would hand them out on the plane just before landing for you to fill them out - do they not do this anymore?
Your travel agent - if he/she is doing their job - should be able to tell you about the tourist card and whether this was included in your charter fare.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Depending who you are flying with sometimes it's included with your ticket. I went with skyservice and it was included. Don't forget to put aside 20 US dollars cash for each person to cover the departure tax. That is paid on your way back home at the Dominican airport.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Kit said:
If we travel with a Canadian Passport are we still required to pay $10 for a visa when we go to the DR?

If we do need to get the Visa can we purchase it in Toronto before we leave?

Tourist card yes, ask at the tour company service counter (not the ticket/check-in for the charter airline) where they will almost always have it for you (free/included in price).

Expect to pay the 20 bones in US$ cash at the check in at the airport in the DR though. Each.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Not always

Hlywud said:
Departure tax out of POP is now paid at the departure gate, not at the check in. Your boarding pass is stampled with a depature tax paid stamp.

With AA (and I think CO and US as well) it is paid in advance the ticket and you don't pay at the check-in or the gate and why in God's name the charters don't do this is beyond me.

What a PITA for the tourists all lined up - it is bad enough flying charter without that hassle at boarding.