What Can I bring to DR?

anginmichigan

Dec 29, 2003
Hello, I am traveling from the US, and was wondering if I can bring food with me from the US? Also will the DR allow me to bring alcohol with me there as well? Just curious as I am traveling with a large group of people, and we are staying in a condo.
Thanks, any resources on this would be great, I just want to make sure before I pack a suitcase full of food, and have to leave it behind!!

Thanks alot!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What sort of foodstuff are you thinking of bringing, and what is the reason for bringing food from home rather than buying it here?

The DR, like the US and other countries, does have some restrictions on food coming from the outside.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
anginmichigan said:
Hello, I am traveling from the US, and was wondering if I can bring food with me from the US? Also will the DR allow me to bring alcohol with me there as well? Just curious as I am traveling with a large group of people, and we are staying in a condo.
Thanks, any resources on this would be great, I just want to make sure before I pack a suitcase full of food, and have to leave it behind!!

Thanks alot!

I always bring my own cereal brand which I never find down there, along with all the junk food you can imagine. Never had a problem. Whatever I can fit into my carry on, passes without any problems.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Unless you have a reason to have a specific type of food, then you should bring nothing. You should be able to find pretty much everything you need to cook, eat, etc in the DR. If you're not too picky, I wouldn't even bother cooking, as restaurants down there are very inexpensive if you convert prices to dollars. Even better you could probably hire a cook for almost next to nothing. Alcohol? Forget about it...Much better selection and wayyyy cheaper in the DR than here in Michigan (i.e. a bottle of Chivas Regal that costs 32 USD here at Meijer, costs about 20 USD). You won't have to pay 3 or 4 USD for some diluted drink as you would here in Royal Oak, unless you go to some very expensive, snooty bar...I don't even know of any bar in the DR (except in the capital) where drinks would be that expensive.
Just bring an open mind and you will have a great trip. I just wish I could also go...lol. Freezing my butt off here in Walled Lake....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Pretty Please

Leave your Mad Cow infested burgher patties at home!

Also anything else with meat, except some really good Slim Jims//.

That said, it is highly doubtful that they will check your bag, unless it has defrosted and the remains of your Mother in Law are dripping all over the tarmac.

Other than that, and that white powder "you just have to have" , I'd say don't sweat it....

HB

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
You didn't mention cigarettes, but if you're in a large group - maybe one of them smokes. You're limited to 200 cigarettes coming in. However, the cigarettes in DR are as cheap as they are in Kentucky. They don't have Ultra Lights - just Lights.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Ciggie Prices

JanH said:
You didn't mention cigarettes, but if you're in a large group - maybe one of them smokes. You're limited to 200 cigarettes coming in. However, the cigarettes in DR are as cheap as they are in Kentucky. They don't have Ultra Lights - just Lights.

Tho' I quit for good 2 years ago, I noted this week the price for Marlboro was RD$280 a carton of 200 or US$5.40 or so a carton/54 cents a pack. they cannot be that cheap anywhere in the USA.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
We've never seen marlboro that cheap in Sosua. We buy generic brands anyway, but the last we checked, Marlboro was about $23 US a carton down there, which is the same in our state - where the cheapest cigs come from!

Where did you see them for 54 cents a pack?

GlowWorm

Nov 18, 2003
Now we know who bought the cigarettes

Uh, sorry JanH, but the Marlboro Lights were about $8.36 US at Coastal and the Nacional Suave were a litle cheaper.

Maybe I padded the bill so I could hide how much Brugal I bought.

Glow (snicker, snicker):beard: