North American Love vs. Dominican Love..only my view

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
From what I have learned and experienced here...love in Northern definition and love in Dominican definition is different.

Love for us northners is more serious and it means commitment. Maybe cause its so cold and that word makes us warm.

Here love seems to mean "I want you ,baby". "You look good". Love you today and tomorrow love someone else. Of maybe you, if you still look good and its convienent.

Love here seems to be less of a commitment, less dramatic, than up North. It is definatly more intense ,yet doesn't seem to have any backing. Not a bad thing ,mind you, but just different than most non-dominicans are used to.

I don't know for sure but this is what I have observed and I observe alot.

Just 1 Dominicana Gringas opinion

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I am not agreeing or disagreeing with you but I would like to hear some examples of this theory.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Example please...

Do you have an example for your theory or the reason why you wrote it?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Just reading these posts about these Dominican men that say they love these women. Some after only a few days.

I have observed here that the "love" word is used more freely. In USA noone used love. It was TABU! Love meant commitment. It was a big step to use that word. But here, when they say love, its not as serious. Or maybe the word love in english doesn't have the same meaning as amore en espa?ol...yo no s?.

These are only my observations. Not sceintific study...even tho I have taken many notes on my observations and these will show up in my studies on the dominican culture..."Dominicana Gringas...Latinos in a coco shell "(mind you the coco shell would have to be very hugh to hold all the wonderful and non-wonderful facets of the dominican male)...

But when Americans hear "I love you" they take it more serious that I think is intended, at least I did and know others that are the same. ..culture difference I guess.

Please let me know your opinions. Dominican males also.. We Gringas want to know

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Jan, you know I love you

In a sort of an all-encompassing-hemispherical kind of way ;)

chicker,
the insufferable smartass :)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Jan, I love you too. LOL But that's another story.

Consider that when the waitress is referred to (and a lot of people for that matter) "mi amor" you have to wonder. Now we know the other stories and they don't really count because they are only saying what they think some of these women want to hear. Perhaps it's leaked out that we don't hear that word often enough in the cold cold North so it's used for a means to an end.
Maybe they just LOVE everyone. I don't know. I've said "I love you" in a heated moment but then it seems to fade. ;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This is a timely thread, however, since we have had several threads started by female posters who were all excited because some good looking Dominican told them he loved them.

You may want to add to your list of must reading, Anna, the difference between "love" in the DR and elsewhere.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
EXACTLY!!!

This is what I'm trying to say. Here in DR the word love seems to me to be not as heart fealt as we northerners were taught to believe. These women coming here, hearing the word love, take it as we have learned it in the north. To mean that it is the neverending, forever kind of thing. Where as here, in general, it is meant as a term of affection, not necessarially all enduring, everlasting kind of love.

Once a person, man or woman, knows this about this country they can relax and enjoy the moment and not let their heart take over. Just take it as a "por ahora"(for now) kind of thing.

When I first came here and someone told me this "L" word it scared me. Now I take it as another word to say I'm hot for you, I like you right now, you look good to me, or even your a nice human. Thats it.

Please, all you new ladies coming to this island ,take notice of this and just look at the word love as a "hey babe...looking good to me and I want you for this moment" This way your heart doesn't get broken and you can enjoy the moment also. When in DR act as a Dominican.

I hate to see all these women that hear "I love you" and put their whole hearts into a romance that isn't there. Remember, your not in your comphy culture, all that you have known all your life is not relavent when your in the world of the Dominianos.

I don't really think that most use the term love to get what they want, although some do use it to their advantage. Its just what they say...like we say.."oh your too sweet" or " I really like you"

Oh, and thanks Chicker and Anna for loving me soooo much. I love you too!

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Love.

Comes in many forms, Mother's, Father's, Partner, Family, Friends.

I don't think it has to do so much with were your born, as to how you are raised and the examples you witnessed, in your forming years.

In Anal Retentive America, there was a time the folks would not kiss on the lips, in front of the kids. Everything had to be, behind close doors with the lights out.

Thank God, attitudes change with time.

Love/Lust.

Love, get on the merry-go round, and you stay on your horse wether you get the brass ring or not.

Lust, get on your horse, grab the brass ring, get on another horse grab the brass ring, stay only long enough to get the prize.

Ann Landers??

Love
Tim & Mechi H. XOXOXOXOXO:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

Last edited:

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Jan, Please compare divorce percentage in the US to the DR per Capital that should give you a better idea of the word LOVE between your comparison.......

my 2cents got married and divorced in the states involved with a Dominicana and everything seems to work fine so far so good, from previous experiences i can tell you one thing in the U.S. LOVE MEANS CHIN! chin! CHIN! money baby! yup i got ripped off! by a woman>>>>> and it ain't happening again.....

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
When I was in DR this past Dec, I met somone on a Sunday afternoon. By that night, he was introducing me to his friends as his wife/love of his life and when I was going home, he kept telling me how much he loved me.

I wonder how he loved me so muhc, I was drunk out of my a**!!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
just my two cents

Love vs Love

As a result of cultural differences it can be very confusing if a Latino/a tells you that they love you, because it is taken to mean the same thing as that in your own reference book.

Cultural differences are just that, differences. It is not to say that one is better than the other, but you should be aware of the fact that different cultures can define things differently.

This in general translates into a different cultural experience when you are in a Latin community.

1) Latin people are more people oriented. It's not so much what you know but who you know. Very much a community orientation, not so much a society orientation.

2) Latin people are more open to show their feelings, anger, shouting, affection, love it's all much more open than in Anglo-Saxon communities.

3) Latin people have a certain passion for life, they dance, play sports, fight and love more intensely than Anglo-Saxons do.

On the other hand:

1) Anglo-Saxons place much more value on commitement, they tend to be more stable and reliable.

2) Anglo-Saxons are better planners and more logical.

3) Anglo-Saxons are more oriented towards the good of the people vs the good of my community.

4) Anglo-Saxons tend to have more difficulties expressing their emotions.

MD

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The problem is when children resort from these "Love Affairs"!

Given the cultural resistance to "Birth Control" by both men and women in the DR,"Fatherless" children are too often the result of short term "LOVE AFFAIRS"!! This just continues the cycle of poverty,pregnancy,and poverty!These children who have never experienced their fathers love,confuse sexual contact with real commitment,and long term,"for better,for worse",LOVE!When the woman gets pregnant,the men move on to the next "victim"!!!
Cris Colon

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Re: The problem is when children resort from these "Love Affairs"!

Criss Colon said:
Given the cultural resistance to "Birth Control" by both men and women in the DR,"Fatherless" children are too often the result of short term "LOVE AFFAIRS"!! This just continues the cycle of poverty,pregnancy,and poverty!These children who have never experienced their fathers love,confuse sexual contact with real commitment,and long term,"for better,for worse",LOVE!When the woman gets pregnant,the men move on to the next "victim"!!!
Cris Colon

No Comment

-Lee

Last edited:

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Example: In USA people say "honey", "babe",and words like that when talking to a waitress or some women. Here in DR they say "mi amor".

When I first came here it scared me that people even said the "love" word. For me being a North American it shocked me everytime I heard it. Now that I live here I even use the term mi amor when talking to people. Its just another word to say. Doesn't mean what it did in USA.

I don't know about divorce rates anywhere. All I know is the things I observe. Have no idea about statistics and all that crap. I just know what I see with my own little eyes.

Once people realize this they can relax and enjoy and not be caught up in the "Love Dominican Style". Just enjoy the Dominican Flavor and don't be taken in by the words. Don't fall in love just because the first Dominican man you meet tells you he loves you.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Marriages in usa end up in divorce in 60% of the cases and after 5 years maybe 80%-90% of the cases. Now when their kids grow up to be 18, my guess would be that all marriages end up in divorce. So where is that serious love that you are talking about jan?
My observation as a man is that women don't really love men as men do to women. Women only love their children or maybe their father and brothers but most women have no love feeling for a husband. They maybe passionate about him or see him as a ticket to a secure life but to love him, I am not too sure.
Ex: when a woman leaves a man, she gets over him so fast. When he does go her own way, she is already over him just as soon as she meets another one. They spilt up on simple issues ex: his family, his friends, losing job or simple arguments. Women leave men and the next day they are seen happily hand in hand with another guy.
Most guys are not like that at all. when guys fall in love with a woman, they make the commitment to support her, put up with her BS, her family, her different moods of the day and her stupid soap operas etc etc. We men put up with everything you throw at us. Why? because we love you in a real sense. You women try hard to piss us off and to see how far you can push us. You women always need to hear the word "love" to feel secure. When you women leave a guy and walk away from his life, the man often gets depressed for many years. Then again, thats what exactly you like to see a man do when you leave him, break apart in pieces.
Now I know I am not talking about all north american women but most men know what I am talking about and of what types.

I hear all the time american couple reminding each other "honey, I love you...I love you baby...etc etc". Then you see the same couple break up because he lost his job and now can't own the same house they lived in and have to move into a tiny apartment or maybe she can't stand the fact he listens to his mother some times. There could be a million excuses she could find to leave the man for another one. This is happening all over usa right now. No wonder so many americaan men come to DR looking for woman who would show them the gesture of love, even if its all about money. At least you get what you pay for with these girls, I can't say the same about the north american ones.
My 2 rupees.
Regards,
AZB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When you read a post by "AZB" you need to ........

...pick out the pearls of wisdom from among all the "BullShit"! Take the above post.He may be right!!! When a man falls in love it is REAL!!! Look what he says! We men have to put up with all her "Baggage"! Especially in the DR,where that "Baggage" includes her children,parents,and extended family with all their problems,financial and otherwise!!!

What does the woman have to "Put Up" with??? "Nada"!Men have no "baggage"! She gets a house,car,money,child care and maintenance,medical care,and on and on! What does she bring to the table???? A pretty face? A great body?Great in bed??? I can get you 50 "Hookers" by 5 pm today that can give all that,and "A bag of Chips"TOO!

The "Pearl" is that men give up more,and bring more into a loving relationship than a woman does!!!

"I guess that is why a Pakistani and Indian women bring a huge "Dowry" if she wants a good man.Starts the marriage off on an equal footing!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
ah yes, my grandmother's words come

Jan said:
Once people realize this they can relax and enjoy and not be caught up in the "Love Dominican Style". Just enjoy the Dominican Flavor and don't be taken in by the words. Don't fall in love just because the first Dominican man you meet tells you he loves you.

to mind. Muchacha no te enamores del primero que te diga "que bonito ojos verdes tu tienes mi amor, te amo."

I thought that warning was universal. That some women don't know any better is beyond me!

blong

Sep 30, 2003
My friend, from Argentina, gave me the following advice once:

Brian, Latin women often says things that they don't mean, like "I never want to see you again" or "I love you".