coco tours / Jack Tar

sukstr

Feb 3, 2004
www.rees.zapto.org
(I piggy-bagged on another tread which isn't really a good idea, I apologise to anyone who has already read my q).

Following the advice elsewhere within these forums, I've already booked 2 excursions - Whale Watching and a trip to the Alps with CoCo Tours ( http://www.cocotours.com/coco/english/toursenpop.htm

Traveling from the UK, Whale Watching on Monday seems a great idea - it's a 5.00 a.m. pick-up from the hotel, but we'll still be on UK time so would be awake that time anyway.

I'd love to hear from others who have experience of these tour (and for peace of mind, the tour operators).

Also, I'm staying at Jack Tar - there seems to be some rumblings about them going down hill. Any offer me the latest lowdown?

Many thanks,

Steve

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I know the people at Coco Tours and I know that they use Kim Beddall for their whale excursions. She is the best. I think you have made a good choice.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I have read some reports that have said that Occidental hotels are going downhill but then again i have read reports from others saying that they had an excellent time so i think it depends on the individual. If you have never been to the DR before your impressions might be different to if you have been all over the country, what i am saying is that 10 people can go to the same hotel and all come back with different impressions of it.

Anyway i have confused myself so i am sure you will be aswell. LOL

I have stayed in the Jack Tar before and thoroughly enjoyed it but........ that was 5 years ago!

crispycritter

Jan 19, 2004
Hi sukstr,
When are you staying at the Jacktar? We are booked for Mar 16-23. I have also read many negative posts and are hoping we made the right choice.
The only excursion we have booked is the Pub Crawl.
crispy :cool:

sukstr

Feb 3, 2004
www.rees.zapto.org
I'll be there next week (w/c 8th Feb) - check this site the following week for my visit report.

I must say that these forums have a real feeling of community, as such I almost feel compelled to do my bit a share my experiences for those that will follow.

Seany

Oct 19, 2003
www.angelfire.com
We were in POP in January. We booked 4 trips with Coco Tours, in advance by email and they gave us a 10% discount. They are great to deal with. We took the Whale Watching and Kim was a real expert, although a really long day it was well worth the money.

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
Stayed at Jack Tar in Nov 03

We had a very enjoyable stay at the Jack Tar resort in November. I have travelled extensively over the last few years and I cannot think of a better hotel. Staff were great, the buffet was varied and tasty, really enjoyed the quiet pool although I did enjoy the daily pool volley ball game. Everything was clean and operating through out the resort. The restaurants where top class, especially the seafood one on the beach which had to be one of the most romantic meals I have ever enjoyed. The only negative I can think of is that the resort is adult only and was advertised as great for singles, believe me it would have been a very lonely stay if I had gone with that expectation. Maybe that is better in high season.

Enjoy your stay.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Glad to hear you enjoyed your holiday snoozer! I have stayed in this hotel and enjoyed it as much as you did.
I have read some bad reports about it lately but i think that the point is that we all like different things and we have all had different holiday experiences, so some will say 'it wasnt up to much' and some people will say 'it was my best vacation ever.' I haven't been able to really complain about any of the 4 star hotels in Playa Dorada (that i have stayed in).

clearwater

Feb 11, 2004
Jack Tar info?

Anybody with bad experiences with Jack Tar - recently? Anything I should be aware of when I am checking in or making reservations? The mix of good and bad reviews has me worried.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
clearwater said:
Anybody with bad experiences with Jack Tar - recently? Anything I should be aware of when I am checking in or making reservations? The mix of good and bad reviews has me worried.

Dont be worried! The point is............ some people will say "i didnt enjoy it", but others will say to them "what are you talking about, it was brilliant".

Who do you believe? If you are asking the ones with a bad report to tell you what happened to them it will only affect your mental preparation for your vacation, possibly even spoil it. I have read things that people have complained about, and i have thought they were being way too picky.

I am sure you will have a good time. This hotel obviously is merited with four stars for a reason.

thebackgang

Apr 30, 2004
Jack Tar

Michal and I stayed at Jack Tar in August 03 We had a wonderful time, good food, good drink but most of all good company be it either other guests or the staff who were really friendly and helpful.

The Bartender in the Pool Bar was called Elvis, he would mix any kind of cocktail you could think of.

We look forward to going back there next year. Off to Cornwall, Eden Project, this year. :D