National Car rental @ POP Airport

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Has anyone rented a car from National at POP airport lately? If so, what kind of car did you rent and how much did you pay? I requested a rate quote from them for a subcompact car and it seemed very high. I rented the same type car from them on 2 proir occasions and paid much less (last time I paid $142.00 for 5 days). This time I was quoted over $300.00 for 7 days. I love taking scenic drives but not that much. I would appreciate any up-to-date info. If you would rather pm then please do.Thanks in advance.
Larry

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Larry PM Maryanne she always rents a car when in DR.
Maybe she'll see this thread tomorrow.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Look up Gypsie at Adventure Rent a Car at the Airport. Not only does she have a lot of cars at a decent price but she is cute as a button.

She also has a website.

Tell her you want the DR1 discount:)

Scott

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
She doesn't have a DR1 discount, but feel free to contact her.
Very nice young lady, speaks English and mainly rents jeeps and has very good rates.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Larry - we always rent thru Universal Rental (they have a website). They are in Cabarete but meet us at the airport and take us back when we leave. For a subcompact, they charge around $27-30 a day, which includes insurance.

We tried Budget at POP airport and actually reserved over their website. THen when we got there, they didn't have the car. We were delayed about an hour.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Comparison shop

Larry, every time I've gone to DR, I end up using a different rental company. For some reason their rates vary around the year and some may be better than others deepending on when you go.

If you do a search on Yahoo or Expedia, you get all their phone numbers, I call between 3 - 5 companies before I make my decision.

Also, make sure you ask for the same type of car, not only economy, but also what vehicle that is for them. For Avis, economy is a matchbox on wheels (carrito the bola), for Budget it is a Sentra.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
To add to TallDrink - Also be aware the cheapest prices are often for manual transmission.

Yes, they have varying prices based on season. But if you become a regular customer, you'll get the same price all year round, rather than a $2-3/day increase during holidays.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Thanks for the advice everyone. I just booked a nissan sentra from National @ POP for 7 days. Price is $180.000 USD plus tax (30.00 USD) for a total of $210.00 USD. Last week they quoted me at $100 more for the same vehicle. Who knows why? Anyway, that is WITHOUT the additional insurance which I am going to purchase this time. I discovered Visa and Mastercard only cover me for damage to MY vehicle and not for any injuries to any parties involved or any other damage. I am assuming Nationals insurance will cover everything but I will find out for sure before I purchase it. The insurance is expensive. It is 13.00 USD per day with a $500.00 USD deductable or $18.00 per day with no deductable. I also assume that Nationals insurance is affiliated with Casa del Conductor but again, I will find out for sure before purchasing it. I advise anyone renting a car to look into what insurance their CC company is providing them with so they know the extent of their coverage if they opt not to purchase additional insurance.
Larry