dual citizenship

breadnwater

Feb 4, 2004
I'm 20 and I was born in Canada- a canadian citizen. My father was born in Santo Domingo and has recently moved back there. I have already read on this website that I can become a citizen of the dominican, but I was wondering what exactly I need to do. I dont know where to start. Can my father who is now in the dominican do the paperwork there for me? Before doing any of this I would also like to know if there are any pros or cons of attaining dual citizenship? Thank you!

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Dominican law states you have the right to Dominican citizenship for being the child of a Dominican.

You would only really need to attain your cedula as having a Dominican passport would be useless if you have a Canadian passport. You could have your dad call the Junta Central electoral for that.

The Pro to having your cedula would be that you would not need a tourist visa when you visit the island and of course if you ever want to live here you could start hassel free.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
A person born of a Dominican father or mother has the right to acquire Dominican citizenship by virtue of Article 11 of the Constitution and Article 26 of Law 1683 of 1948. The steps to be taken are the following:

1. Petition to the Minister of Interior.

2.Affidavit prepared by a Notary Public in which the applicant states his wish to apply for Dominican citizenship.

3.Birth certificate of the applicant, authenticated at a Dominican Consulate and translated into Spanish by an official translator.

4.Birth certificate of the applicant?s Dominican parent.

5. 4 pictures, 2 x 2 inches.

6. Application and newspaper fees.

The application must be done in person.