Luggage size/weight problems?

NHTom

Nov 17, 2003
Anyone had recent problems with being charged extra for luggage being 'over' the allowed 50# or larger than the H+W+L allowance of 62 inches???? If so, on a charter or scheduled air? Thanks.

Luggage

In November I was charged $91 extra going down for alleged overweight luggage (13 kg???), to me it is a money scam by charter airlines, because I brought back more on return and was only 1 kg and no charges for being over.
They will not even respond to my complaints after initial email contact and phone contact, so what can you do, absolutely nothing, if you flame them and name them they will find your ISP, track you down and try and sue you for liable.
They must be getting strapped for cash to start pulling this scam....
I have heard of many getting it put to them.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
NHTom said:
Anyone had recent problems with being charged extra for luggage being 'over' the allowed 50# or larger than the H+W+L allowance of 62 inches???? If so, on a charter or scheduled air? Thanks.

we recently took a charter (Apple Vacations) and had a lot of school supplies with us. We were supposedly limited to 44# per person, and we were way over that. They never blinked or even questioned the weight, and the plane was full. Don't know if there is a logical reason why sometimes they check and other times they don't. We were just lucky I guess.

Bob H.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
We have probably just been lucky aswell but we have never been charged for having overweight luggage. My friends who i have been with take THE biggest case ever, it is always way too heavy - never been charged.

NHTom

Nov 17, 2003
Luggage weight/size

Thanks for the replies. I've heard the 'war stories' on & off-doesn't seem to be any logic as to when, where or who gets hit, but it always seems to be the charters & not regular scheduled air unless it's to Europe. I had never heard of anyone not being able to take their luggage as it was over the '62' inch rule. What would happen then-you'd have to leave your luggage behind or miss the flight until you purchased smaller, conforming luggage? Wouldn't that be a neat scam?
When you see a luggage sales kiosk at the airports, then you'll know what's coming next :)

Dec 9, 2002
I got charged last year flying on a Thomas Cook charter from LGW to POP. It wasn't cheap either - ?8 or ?10 per kilo (can't remember exactly). I was going to DR for 3 weeks that time, so probably had a bit more than usual, but it cost me ?80. I had no alternative but to pay it - they kept my passport and ticket until I showed them the receipt as proof that I had paid.

When I came back there was no problem, the scales at POP airport didn't work.

I travelled again with Thomas Cook in November and was very very careful with my packing, and got it just under the limit. I was about 9 kilos over coming back, but hey, the scales still didn't work at POP;)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Charters allow 20 kg or 44 lbs. Skyservice charges $7 per kg over that amount so whatever you take down to give away might be cheaper bought there. Depending what it is. 5kg for carry on but they didn't weigh that.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
FYI...

The Apple vacation flight we flew last week was a Thomas Cook Charter also. But, like I said, they didn't check any baggage weight. Go figure. At $7 per kg, I will watch it more closely next time.

Bob H.

Seany

Oct 19, 2003
www.angelfire.com
We were worried coming back from POP a couple of weeks ago, as we were sure we were overweight....few too many bottles of rum. Luckily the scales didn't work for us either!

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Why chance it? Weigh the luggage before you go. Save the bucks. Its cheeper to pay for an extra piece of luggage than to pay for a few pieces being overweight. So if you don't follow the rules don't complain if your charged.