Ocean World report

On January 29th I had the opportunity to visit Ocean World and take a VIP tour along with the Owner/Manager Stefan Meister, although work is still progressing on some of the new features like the rain forest, the shark encounter, tiger encounter and the bird aviary, what we saw was a very professionally built, ecologically and environmentally conscious facility. Stefan and his staff showed us a wonderful time with not only what was opened but a good explanation of the facilities still under construction, which also will include the first north shore marina capable of housing over 100 boats with a maximum length of 200 feet.

Ocean World consists of the world?s largest dolphin lagoon where one can encounter and interact these beautiful mammals as well as even a program to swim with them. Great care is taken to see that these animals are in excellent health and not overworked, they are not confined in tanks and able to swim at will in a very large environmentally safe and clean controlled lagoon.

We sat on a floating dock in the lagoon and were greeted with waves, splashes, hugs and kisses from these beautiful mammals, an experience never to be forgotten. Amazing warm and friendly creatures.

Also you will find the only sea lion encounter of its kind, these animals have been brought in from Uruguay where they are over populating the island they inhabited and many thousands are slaughtered annually for their fur and meat. These few lucky animals have a new chance at life and are proving to be extremely intelligent and love to interact and perform for people. They also are very well cared for and limited in the number of encounters they have daily.

To sit in a pool and have these huge sea lions float up and sit on your lap while you caress their soft fur with long affectionate strokes and see how they loved the interaction was amazing to say the least. Kisses and hugs from them were wonderful, another experience that one will not forget.

In the artificial Coral Reef, snorkelers swim in a colorful reef teeming with thousands of exotic fish, hold a caress small sting rays and puffer fish. The snorkeling here is safe and is available everyday of the year.

In the stingray bay soon to be completed and opened , one will be able to float with, and pet these gentle creatures that don?t really sting at all.

More adventurous guests may dare to touch, pet and feed our sharks in our 200,000-gallon (760,000-liter) shark pool which is completed and soon to be opened. These mysterious and misunderstood sea creatures ? many over six feet (1.8 meters) in length, are being trained to swim right up to guests standing on a platform in the water.

Almost completed and to be opened soon also is the tiger encounter, a bird avaiary and a rain forest exhibit

What makes Ocean World different from any other marine park I have seen is the opportunity not only to see but to have an encounter and feel the emotion of having direct contact with all the animals that live in this wonderful sanctuary. All of these Ocean World attractions allow guests to safely experience the marine world and its amazing animals. The safety of the animals and the tourist are both in forefront.

The park is situated on a point outside of Cofresi to west of Puerto Plata only a few kilometers and has breathtaking views of the sea and a background of Mount Isabel de Torres .Once inside the park, you will know they are in a very special place and be prepared to experience adventure of a lifetime.

A day trip in the Dominican Republic that should not be missed.

Hlywud

Thank you to Stefan "Conchman" and his staff

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Sounds good, i will go next time i visit the DR. How much can i expect to pay for entrance?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Thanks for the flattering review, Hlywud.

The park will open for admission in April or May. Currently, Ocean World has the following programs for sale:

1) Sea Lion Encounter/ Snorkel Reef 1/2 Day Package $55 includes lunch

2) Dolphin Encounter $75

3) Dolphin Swim $120

Prices in US$

lefgirl

May 21, 2004
Ocean World question

This may sound a bit dim but what is the difference between a dolphin encounter and a dolphin swim?

I have to ask as a dolphin swim is a bit out of my price range and was wondering whether a dolphin encounter is worthwhile on its own.

Conchman said:
Thanks for the flattering review, Hlywud.

The park will open for admission in April or May. Currently, Ocean World has the following programs for sale:

1) Sea Lion Encounter/ Snorkel Reef 1/2 Day Package $55 includes lunch

2) Dolphin Encounter $75

3) Dolphin Swim $120

Prices in US$

Encounter or swim

In the encounter you will sit on an enclosed dock platform with feet in the water and the dolphins will come in from underneath and greet you with waves, kisses, hugs and splashes, you will also be able to pet them and caress their warm bodies as well as feed them, but you are not actually swimming with them as you do in the swim where they will pull you around the lagoon.

Either is a fantastic experience.
dolphin.jpg

lefgirl

May 21, 2004
Thanks for the info - looks like I may have to push the boat out and visit when I come out on 28 May. :p

Hlywud said:
In the encounter you will sit on an enclosed dock platform with feet in the water and the dolphins will come in from underneath and greet you with waves, kisses, hugs and splashes, you will also be able to pet them and caress their warm bodies as well as feed them, but you are not actually swimming with them as you do in the swim where they will pull you around the lagoon.

Either is a fantastic experience.
dolphin.jpg