Things getting bad in Haiti

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Opposition groups have taken over the Haitian Cities of Gonaives and Saint Marc. Last report is of 14 Haitian National Police Killed in an attempt to retake Gonaives by Aristide people. Other cities are reporting unrest as well. What was considered a rabble of protest groups have suddenly become quite a organized force. There are even rumors of a March on P.Princpe. The lights in the US Southern Command offices will be burning long into the night.
What does this mean for the DR? Look for a mass influx of Haitian Refugees first and of course a disruption of trade between the 2 countries. Yep! Just what the DR needed!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Tony C said:
What does this mean for the DR? Look for a mass influx of Haitian Refugees first and of course a disruption of trade between the 2 countries. Yep! Just what the DR needed!

Scenario: Haitian refugee masses are crossing border. Border troops are unable to stop flow, some soldiers are suspected of taking payoffs to look the other way. Gunfire of unknown origin ( a payoff deal gone sour ) causes troops to respond with deadly force, many innocents killed/wounded. Presidente closes border and sends more troops to the area. The exodus still continues. Presidente declares a national emergency and requests outside (U.S.) monetary aid. Presidente then declares the elections are postponed indefinitely, dependent on when the national emergency is over....... Yep! Just what He needed!

Regards, PJT

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I have said this before. It is to this government's credit that they have refrained from descending to playing the "Haitian" card. When they have touched the subject it has been in a more constructive way, like appealling to the international community to stop ignoring the problem, for Haiti's sake as well as the DR's.

That is not to say they won't do so in the future, I hasten to add.

- It now looks that my visit to Haiti, which was originally set for December, is not going to happen in the foreseeable. I was really looking forward to it :(

Chiri

jt76

Jan 23, 2002
DR - Haiti Relations

If things continue to get worse in Haiti. Which side would DR likely take, Aristide or the "rebels". I wonder if to protect DR from an influx of Haitians the DR will side with Aristide (from what I have read a dictator) or with the rebels?

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I say DR takes no side.

Keep the borders closed and enhance security.

let the US deal with it

jt76

Jan 23, 2002
Isn't it kind of hard to do nothing when all the border patrols are being paid off and more and more are crossing the borders? You can only stand around and do nothing for so long. I'm not looking for the DR to go to Haiti and restore order or anything but curious as to what will happen.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I agree. What is the point in having a border patrol if they can be paid off? What are going to be the lasting effects of all these penniless Hatians setting up camp on the DR side of the border? Hippo will probaly give them all visas in return for their votes. Most likely however, I would assume that after the coup has died down, the Dominican police will go rounding them up and dumping them back where they belong. Unless of course, the influx of Hatians raises the anti-Hatian sentiment to the point where the Dominican populace begins to react violently toward them. Seems to me that if the locals begin to take matters into their own hands, things could get ugly.

Larry

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
US Invasion of Haiti number ????

Here we go again. Expect another US invasion into Haiti if things get worse in terms of stability because I don't recall anytime that Haiti has looked great, except in it's day of birth back in 1804. Anyway, if the U.S. does invade Haiti once again, I wonder if that would give any dominicans ideas to revolt against Hippo so that the DR would be under U.S. control also. I know that might sound stupid, but there are a lot of dominicans that believe that if the U.S. had control of DR, the DR would become another Puerto Rico. Whether that is true or not is not the case, the case is that that is what people think. That's looking in the long run, in the short run expect many Haitians to be found dead along dominican rivers and streets, killed by some racist dominican or simply by the dominicanyorks that have been deported due to criminality record. If those criminals get the urge of simply killing people for the sake of it (like they probably did in NYC before getting deported), they might take it on the Haitians. Either way, it doesn't look good. Oh yeah, if Haiti does get invaded, that could cause a small blow to the tourist industry in the DR as well. People, fasten your seatbelts because the ride into the near future seem to be on the path of some deep potholes!!!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Stop smoking whatever you are smoking

Nal0whs said:
I wonder if that would give any dominicans ideas to revolt against Hippo so that the DR would be under U.S. control also. I know that might sound stupid, but there are a lot of dominicans that believe that if the U.S. had control of DR, the DR would become another Puerto Rico.
Yep, we have a few of those. Every country has its own nutjobs.

That's looking in the long run, in the short run expect many Haitians to be found dead along dominican rivers and streets, killed by some racist dominican or simply by the dominicanyorks that have been deported due to criminality record.
And that based on what exactly? You know, do you? that this is not the first time there has been a crisis in Haiti (well, they live in perpetual crisis). Where, praise tell, can I read about those "racists" killings? It smells like BS...

Oh yeah, if Haiti does get invaded, that could cause a small blow to the tourist industry in the DR as well. People, fasten your seatbelts because the ride into the near future seem to be on the path of some deep potholes!!!
It might, and it might not. Most international traveller don't even know where Haiti is let alone the D.R.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
US involvement

I would bet that the US will stay away from this one for a couple reasons.

They will likely want the UN to deal with it. If the UN does nothing, and simply passes resolutions - the US will have made their point about their claims of ineffectiveness of this global body. If the UN does something, the cost would be distributed to other nations and not solely to the US.

Secondly, the US may want to tone down their invasions of countries. Given the non-threat that Haiti is (militarily) they may decide to keep hands off.

My thoughts.
m