We need some decoration tips...

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
My husband and I will be moving to our new home in a few weeks. We have a few disagreements in how we?ll going to decorate our home; maybe you guys can help us.

1 I want to buy light bulbs. I like the ?retro? look that they give to a room. My husband insists we buy gas lamps, citing that they are not only better-looking but can also double as a lighting device.

2 Should we put a glass on top of the inverter batteries and turn it into a center table? Or maybe stack them; with a few cushions on top they would do wonderful puffs.

3 This is really a ?tour de force?. My husband insists that the fridge would be the perfect place to put his golf stuff if we get rid of the dividers. I strongly disagree and am not willing to go with him on this one. I think we should use the fridge to store my shoes and bags, what with the dividers it seems almost made for it.

4 On this one I can go both ways. I want to wallpaper the house with 100-peso notes. I like orange; he on the other hand, likes blue. He would like to use 500-peso notes. I said ?wait until tomorrow, if the IMF deal doesn?t go through perhaps we could even go with the beautiful blue of 2000-peso notes.

So, guys, what do you think?

I am really very pissed. My batteries ran out of juice last night, had power for two hours and it just went puff again. Without a little humor I would be known as the Montecristi Mass Murderer.

Dec 9, 2002
Pib, it's great to see that through it all you can still keep your sense of humour. Oh and I agree with you about the fridge!

Keep smiling :classic:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have power, nah, nah, ne, nah, nah...

swingboy.gif

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
My inverter also said goodbye to me in the middle of a an interesting movie I was watching on TV. Never got to see the ending (rats).
The electric comes in only once in a while to say hello and good bye.
In order to conserve electric in my office inverter, I am forced to take 3 hr lunch breaks and coming in at 9am instead of 8am in the morning.
i think electric problem will be sorted out as we get closer to the elections. Then if hippo wins, we will certainly be put to rest in the dark ages for good.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
TLC and HGTV to the rescue!

I got exited for a second....

BTW, talking about other uses for DR things: I used gas lamps for my friend's center pieces in her wedding - came in very handy! :(

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Been through it all. In 1990 I gave birth to baby Alfonso at flashlight. It was 4 am in the morning and the overworked emergency plant at the private hospital didn't kicked in but my doctor (a woman) continued as if nothing with a flashlight! As someone wisely told me, the big difference between today and 1990 is that we have fallen from so much higher, thus it hurts much more. Back then, those who did not jump the ship were rewarded. Folks, sincerely and "realistically-optimistically" believe the country will survive this one, just hang on for the very rough ride!

As Pib is doing... humor is one of the best weapons Dominicans have legendary used to survive a crisis. Just check the cartoons in the newspaper...

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
PIB:

Personally I would use the fridge as an outdoor bath!!
After reading your comments I've come up with the million peso table, it may suit your decor. Here's how it goes:
Take your baterries as the base of the table
Buy a piece of 1/4'' plywood and paint it with wall paper glue. Use brand new 2000 peso bills to cover the plywood and top with a glass cover.
Centerpiece should be a dried up 'branchy' plant. Create folliage with 2000, 1000 and 500 peso bills! Who says money doesnt grow in trees?!?!

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Hi Pib

I don't know how serious your question was about the inverter battery coffee table...but in case you are serious I would not advise it. Batteries aren't the safest things in the world, especially when charging. They also give off fumes, when you top them up with water you get spillage, they are filled with acid after all, etc...

This question is moot anyways, since there will be no more power problems once the military negotiators come to some agreement with the generators that will forever solve the energy shortage there. You will all be able to throw out your inverters and mothball your generators for good, very soon, honest.

>:)
m

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I was never part of the fortunate few to have a planta or inverter (but my neighbours did - grr - such showoffs!) I don't know how I would be managing right now in the current power situation. I would be going crazy for sure.

But, thanks, Pib, for those laughs! You're genius.

(Don't go with the blue!)

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Marc said:
I don't know how serious your question was about the inverter battery coffee table...but in case you are serious I would not advise it. Batteries aren't the safest things in the world, especially when charging. They also give off fumes, when you top them up with water you get spillage, they are filled with acid after all, etc...
You don't handle this sarcasm thing very well, do you?

And XR, go ********** **** ***. Thank you. :hurt:

;)

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
What?!

Pib said:
And XR, go ********** **** ***.
I CAN'T HEAR YOU! YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEAK UP! MY 45KW GENERATOR IS MAKING TOO MUCH NOISE!

Tom aka XR

P.S.
But reading your lips, I'd have to say that if I could do what you suggested I'd never have to leave the house in search of UBH's!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
A friend of mine has made plans to harness his team of four burros to pull his Mercedes SUV around. He has contracted a local farmer to make some white straw skirts to wrap around the burros ankles and arranged with the tack maker to fasten Mercedes hood ornaments to the head accessories. He says in spite of everything he has to keep up his image.

Regards, PJT

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Pib

We helped some of the neighbors (poor powerless souls) with a fashion conversion today that may be of help in your situation up there in Monte Cristi.

Start with one 20" or larger former television. Remove the back and pull the electrical plug that feeds juice to the picture tube. Insert a funnel and fill the tube completely with salt water (The recipe is Evian, and Sal Linda). When full, gently shake the whole tube. Now squeeze through the opening any number of your favorite exotic tropical fish, et voila! Your very own aquarium!

Watching the 'Fish' channel should provide many hours of non-electricity sucking enjoyment to your family and friends.

Enjoy!

I'll be watching HBO.

Tom aka XR

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
now that you mention it...

The food blender makes an excellent fishbowl. Keep it switched on for extra sicko kicks. Other electrical appliances make adequate bookends. Use your ceiling fans as hangers for drying clothes. With just a little imagination and creativity you can breathe new life into these obsolete items.

Chiri

PS our inverter gave out night before last. It's just a matter of ti

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Although the truncated PS was contrived, the power really did go off just after I hit 'submit'.

Chiri :speechles