Finally, a poll

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
CDN has just released a short on results of the Penn, Schoen & Berland, previously contracted by El Caribe news group of the Banco Popular Dominicano, and now paid for by undisclosed private businessmen. Newspapers used to fit the bills for the polls, but given that their finances are hurting, and some fear government retaliation, these have not been forthcoming.

The Penn Schoen & Berland findings after polling 1,200 Dominicans able to vote are that if the elections were held today, (from 21-24 January 2004), President Hip?lito Mej?a would receive 13% of the vote, PRSC candidate Eduardo Estrella would receive 16%, and PLD candidate, former President Leonel Fernandez would receive 65.7%.

This is considerably up from the 24 September - 7 October 2003 poll carried out by this company that had showed that Fernandez would win with 58%, compared to 20% of Hip?lito Mej?a (at the time he had not been chosen presidential candidate by the party). Eduardo Estrella received 14% of voters preference.

The poll results have prompted many to ask on radio talk shows why then Mej?a's insistence in running for President. Some speculate that he knows he doesn't have a chance and is holding on to grabbing a stronghold of the PRD so that it serves as protective shield from any kind of prosecution. Analysts say that he is looking for a point from where to negotiate in the name of governance.

Last edited:

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
13% vs. 60%+, three months before the elections, no electricity, fuel or food? I dont know what to say except I think he has been forcing a situation where he has a safety net to fall on after may 16. The safety net being the PRD and his leverage with the majority of congress and the senate.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
I respectfully Disagree.

I don't agree with what the Polls say right now.

Shure aske the people about their Government, when there has been...
sin luz, diesel para la planta, no hay Cerveza fria, ni bachata, por 3 semanas.

And of course Dumbo is the Loser! A Sanki from the MFMWFV Forum would get better reults than him!!! :alien: :alien:

But people, have short memories, now that there is CA$H in Dumbos hands, everything will be fine until the elections. :knockedou :knockedou

Tim H.

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Timex said:
I don't agree with what the Polls say right now.

Shure aske the people about their Government, when there has been...
sin luz, diesel para la planta, no hay Cerveza fria, ni bachata, por 3 semanas.

And of course Dumbo is the Loser! A Sanki from the MFMWFV Forum would get better reults than him!!! :alien: :alien:

But people, have short memories, now that there is CA$H in Dumbos hands, everything will be fine until the elections. :knockedou :knockedou

Tim H.

And I respectively disagree with you my friend. See, I think what you fail to miss is that we are talking about 3 years of misery and if things were to get better now it would be about 2 to 3 months compared to three years!! I also get the sense that at this point most of the people have their minds set up as to what they are going to do in May. So, I do believe that even if they turn the lights on now until election day people will not forget what's been going on that easily. Then again we are talking about the DR so anything is possible but I doubt it!!

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
...Like we needed a poll to tell us what has been a tacit fact for the last three years!:rolleyes:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm with DR. Defender in believing most people know how they are going to vote and are just waiting for election day.

It might be different if Leonel had not served a term as president. but right now, the people on the street I talk to are remembering what the rate of exchange and fuel prices were when Leonel was president.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A very astute observation Ken, and I agree

However, the reality of past elections reads like a Handbook on Politics for Chicago.

It is true that a lot of money will be floating around at election time, and the old addage is that "Dominicans vote with their stomachs."

I think we will be seeing some interesting political spots, if the opposition does not make the mistake of resting on Baldie's record and do a Truman-Dewey...

HB