Combined Crops

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I am interested in information about combined crop plantations in dry/arid climates. I saw an interesting Date Palm plantation in Morocco where the palms where combined with other crops of medium and small sizes such as oranges and onions. Problems where the irrigation since Date palms need lots of water but in return produce excellent shades and its organic waste (ie:dead leaves and fallen dates that decompose) are a great source of nutrition for other crops.

I think this type of crop is great since it minimizes the amount of land needed to cultivate and it diversifies your cycles of collecting crops producing a steady income (at least in theory)and a stable source of work.
My question is, are there any similar projects in the DR?
Who can help me get soil samples analyzed in order to determine the best crops? Is there any governmet help for projects of this nautre(dumb question but had to ask)?

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Soil samples

Try the fertilizer companies FERQUIDO or FERSAN for your soil samples. They can give you a decent analysis.

The problem with Date palms is it takes many years before your first harvest.

Enda Caribe wrote a good book about mixing long term and short term crops. Using examples practiced in Asian countries.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
crop choices

I do not know much about them other than the resources I have read on the web. But look at this sight for help in looking at crop choices. http://www.echonet.org/ They are an education center for christian outreach programs. The have training in tropical farming for missionatries.
John

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Thanks very much on the info. It has certainly been helpful. I will study it and look into it and post any developments on my little green project.
Thatnks!! :bunny:

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Multi crops

Speaking of multiple crops the MORINGA tree also known as Benzolive in Hati. Has anyone had any experiance with it.
John