Serie del Caribe 2004 -- what a trip!

BeisbolPosse

Nov 21, 2003
We saw a lot, learned a lot, had a blast and left wanting more.

We didn't do any resorts. Wtih the exception of side trips to Jarabacoa, Baiguate and San Pedro de Macoris, we spent the week in Santo Domingo. The Zona alone is worth about a week.

The place is not without its troubles (what place is?) but we found the people to be beautiful, inside and out. I think we would've missed that contact had we holed up inside a resort.

The plight of the Dominican economy is truly sad. If Hipolito Mejia isn't the most hated man in the country, I'd be amazed. And I haven't seen that many people walking around in camouflage and combat boots since my last visit to Camp Pendleton Marine Base.

Still, I'm hoping that the DR can rebound, take proper care of its historic sites and deliver to its people the better life they deserve.

Anyone interested in a more detailed look at our trip can check out our trip page at http://baseballposse.us/dom2004.html

g.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Interesting read, a bit skewed, but interesting

The photo of the young lady is truly striking, too bad you couldn't identify her!!

Considering the "wonderful" treatment of the Cherokees, Apaches and Iroquois, by the settlers in the United States, I do not like your references to what happened with the Spanish. True, they did not treat the Taino's with much kindness, and their diseases and harsh treatment fairly well eliminated the Taino presence. But they did not institute a series of two-faced "treaties" that effectively stripped them of their homelands "for their own good" ...Be fair..Oh and BTW, did you know that an astounding percentage of present time Dominicans have been found to have Taino blood? So maybe they didn't "destroy" them , just assimiliated them?? An interesting question, that might have something to do with that nice girl you left behind....

Other than that, you have painted a very clear picture of present day Santo Domingo. Your photographs are excellent. I think that you made sure you enjoyed yourself, without really becoming a "tourist". Quisqueya as "the Home of Cracked Windshields" is a wonderful phrase...Glad you enjoyed the Presidentes, they are good, aren't they?

Thanks for the chance to see this place from another optic...

HB

BeisbolPosse

Nov 21, 2003
Hillbilly said:
The photo of the young lady is truly striking, too bad you couldn't identify her!!

Considering the "wonderful" treatment of the Cherokees, Apaches and Iroquois, by the settlers in the United States, I do not like your references to what happened with the Spanish. True, they did not treat the Taino's with much kindness, and their diseases and harsh treatment fairly well eliminated the Taino presence. But they did not institute a series of two-faced "treaties" that effectively stripped them of their homelands "for their own good" ...Be fair..
HB

Thanks for replying.

I'm the last person to defend the treatment of native peoples, past or present, in the United States. Had the UN existed back when those treaties you mentioned were first drawn up, we might've seen "blue helmets" on American soil. My take on the Spanish and their conduct on Hispaniola came from Dominicans we met in Santo Domingo. Even from your own reply, it sounds as if what they told us was pretty much on-point.

Our brief history lesson did nothing to diminish our enjoyment of the trip or the country. I wouldn't mind returning to see more of the DR and learning more. For now, I just hope the growing crisis next-door in Haiti doesn't have too much of a negative impact.

And yes, Presidente definitely is one of the many wonderful things about the Dominican Republic.

Thanks for looking in.

g.