Traveling on independence day

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I am flying into POP on independence day. I have never been in the DR on independence day nor was I aware that I was booking the flight on it. Anyway, should I expect to arrive to a different scene than I am used to? Will the hotels be more occupied than usual? I was planning on staying in the Europa and never make a reservation but this has me wondering if I should attempt to. Will the banks, or at least some cambio houses be open when I arrive in Sosua around 5pm? I don't want to be stuck unable to exchange money. I reserved a car from National and since they confirmed the reservation, I assume their office will be open but this is another thing I am going to have to confirm now. Hopefully, I won't have any complications with any of the above and I will arrive just in time for the party :). Any insight appreciated.
Larry

Last edited:

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Larry said:
Anyway, should I expect to arrive to a different scene than I am used to? Will the hotels be more occupied than usual? Larry

I was reading a different post a few days ago (sorry i have not got the link), it was saying that you will find certain times of the year very busy in the DR. One of the times that was mentioned was Independence day, so from that post i gather that you can expect to find the hotels busier than normal (which in my eyes.......is better).

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
tired boy

I read the same thread and I then realized I was traveling on the holiday. That's why I started this thread asking more specific questions. I just want to make sure I have everything in order.

Larry

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
It's going to be a long weekend, so YES, the hotels will certainly be busier with locals. Call and make a reservation or you'll run the risk of not having a place to sleep OR paying way more than it's worth.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Apart-Hotel Europa
P Clisante 14
Sosua
(809) 571-3335

I wouldn't expect things to be sooooo busy, but better safe than sorry.

carsey700

Dec 5, 2003
Larry,
It will for sure be a busy time, if you booked your car at the airport You might have a chance of getting to Sosua, if it is from the location outside POP good luck . The Malecon and all joining roads will be plugged with parades and people and vehicles .All the hotels and tourists beaches will be filled with locals and thier families , eating ,drinking, and parties may continue all weekend long . Hide in Your hotel (if You can get one) until it is over, I had such a bad time last trip , I made sure to book during the
Independence Day for this year . I hope they party in Juan Dolio like they do in POP . Yes You will arrive in time to party , you will just have to work at
catching up I.E. double cuba libre and dos Presidente por favor. Have fun
and enjoy .

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Just a follow up

I was told by a gentleman familiar to many on here who owns an establishment in Sosua that there would be absolutely no congestion driving from POP to Sosua on independence day. Furthermore, I just e-mailed the Europa and the owner, Diego, replied informing me that they do indeed have vacancies and I had no problem reserving two rooms for 7 days beginning on the 27th.

Larry (DR bound once again)