Subsistence Farming/Gardening

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I have only been in the DR since June, 2000. One of the situations that has struck me as being very strange is the lack of 'subsistance farming' and/or private gardening.
It would seem that this sort of augmemtation of one's ability to eat well would be commonplace in a land where food costs are high and frequently beyound the means of the family who then must depend on the benevolence of their extended families or some charity organizations.
Is there a reason (no derogotory statements please) for this lack of activity?
I recall reading that in the early days of the country, such subsistence farming was the norm.
Can anyone shed any light on the subject and why the government(?) doesn't encourage such activity?
Also, why isn't 'bread' the 'staff of life' as opposed to rice. Is such too expensive or is it's consumption discouraged?

Texas Bill

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Reasons against

1. Poor soil with very little organic matter,
soils exhaust very quickly, do not retain moisture;
2. Irrigation often needed to cool down top soil temperature
in order to let seeds germinate;
3. Ants and crickets eat away the seeds and young plants;
4. Ignorance about agriculture;
5. Work effort, laziness;
6. Neighbours stealing the crops;
7. Eating habits (lettuce and or garden vegs are not so
much appreciated as in European countries);
8. Lack of storage facilities (fridge, cellars etc.) in a hot
and humid climate;
9. Colmados everywhere, selling one tomato or one spoon
of tomato paste ...

Guillermo P?rez

Feb 13, 2004
In cities wich are basicly saturated areas of population flood such thing is inconcievable.

I disagree on the poor soil statement... it's just that there are crops wich have been forced to be planted here, such as some garden vegetables and such, wich are not for the climate...

Plants such as:
Viveres like platanos, Yuca, yams, sweet potatoes, etc...
Tropical fruit like bananas, pineapples, passion fruit, papaya, Mango, Nispero, oranges, lemon, guan?bana, coconut, etc...
Also beans like Red kidney beans, cofee, green pigeon peas, black beans, garbanzo, peanuts, etc...

All this grow with NO effort at all... on rural communities wich are NOT on the central or north part of the island is were there is much less probability to have crops... specially in some provinces in the southwest near the border and in the east (plains for livestock farming)... but rural communities in El Cibao region, as well as some other places like barahone, San Juan, etc... DO grow their own food.

Also, the MOST fertile ground is used to crop TOBACCO and COFFEE for export... and also 75% pf the land owned belongs to big TERRATENIENTES or land owners that don't let anyone harvest... but don't do anything with the land.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Good point Bill.....

....we have just allowed some local farmers to create about a 1/2 acre garden plot on 2 of our mining sites. It is fenced in, we are providing the water, seed, tools, and chemical (as needed) and they are providing the labor/care. We are splitting the crop 50/50. I would sure love to see some good sweet corn grown to go along with the lobster and fish we get from Punta Rucia on a regular basis! We would be getting close to a New England clam bake then.

Best, Dave

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Here in Manzanillo, the land IS poor, and there is a dearth of water. However, I see absolutely No-one utilizing the Public land available for the production of Yucca, Batatas, Yams, Plantanos and the like. The biggest problem I have observed is the livestock running wild and eating everything not fenced in and neither the population nor the Sindico doing anything about containing such. I know that there laws in existance against livestock running loose, but they aren't enforced. I wonder why?

I've come to pointing out to those who come to me for a handout how much better off they would be if they were to grow their own vegetables and such. I get all kinds of excuses for the negative side of the question.

It's a preplexing problem for me.

Texas Bill

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Texas Bill said:
I have only been in the DR since June, 2000. One of the situations that has struck me as being very strange is the lack of 'subsistance farming' and/or private gardening.

That is an interesting point Bill, and one I noticed when I when I was in the DR the last couple of years. I really don't know enough about the DR conditions to comment intelligently about it. Mountainfrog offered a lot of reasons why this might not be done, but as one who did some "self-sufficiency" farming years ago, it seems that no matter where you are and what problems you face, there are things that can be grown. Given the economic conditions in the country, I thought I would see a lot of garden plots, but barely saw any. Soil can be built up with natural amendments that are available in the DR. Maybe there are too many insects and it cost too much in money or labor to get a crop? I wish I knew more.

Bob H.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Everybody is missing the main down-side to subsistance farming. Natural calamities.
If a large group of people come to depend on their own farming for food what happens when a major drought occurs or a Hurricane passes through? Lots of people go Hungry.
Large working farms can handle these factors better than small farmers. Look at most of the nations that do rely on subsistance farming to feed their people. Countries like Ethiopia, Mauritania, Mozambique have all gone through major famine with large loss of life and major suffering due to this due to this.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Texas Bill said:
Also, why isn't 'bread' the 'staff of life' as opposed to rice. Is such too expensive or is it's consumption discouraged? Texas Bill

Some of the simple reasons why rice is encouraged is that bread grains such as wheat require a temperate growing climate, rice can be cultivated in the tropics. Bread grains require milling into flour, rice does not. Leavened breads consume energy in the baking process and require an oven; rice requires less energy and requires only a pot, a great plus for families on the go.

Dominicans like rice. It goes well with beans.

Regards,
PJT

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans do very little,if the "payoff" is not immediate!!!!!

To plant a seed,water and weed it,wait months,or even years for the "Payback" is beyond their scope!!!!!
I took some seeds from a "papaya" that we ate,put them in the yard of my house,8 months later we ate "papaya"!!!They weren't the same "variety" as the "mother" but that was part of the fun! My kids loved the experience! I eat a great avocado,I plant the seed in a pot.I give them away.Same with mangos!I have started 2 avocado trees in my yard,aand two mango trees! We have grown corn,beans,"Juandules" sugar cane,and lots of other things too.All started from seeds of something we ate,or cuttings!
I raised a pig! He WAS soo Goooood!
We have two ducks.It was supposed to be a male/female pair,but we got 2 females.The "lucky" male arrives from Moca on Friday! Next project is :laying Hens"! With eggs at about 5 pesos each,I can save a small fortune!!!

My dog breeding project has placed some really nice dogs all over the country!!! I finally have the "All Grey" female I have been breeding for the last 5 years!!!I will mate her with my all grey male in about 6 month and you can all have a "Dominican Grey"!!!!!!!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I recently started my little vegetable garden.

Not cheap though, I am sure those will be the most expensive tomatoes in history. To top it there is an infestation problem, I just came back from buying organic medicine for my plants. It is a lot of fun and I love it, but trust me, it doesn't make much sense money-wise.