Paradisus Punta Cana and Caribe Tropical

Bonnie

Oct 26, 2003
Just wanted to add my two cents re these two hotels. Visited them from Jan. 17-31st. My husband and I had a fantastic time, regardless of the hotels' shortcomings. The weather was excellent and the people always cheerful and pleasant.

The grounds are lush and gorgeous. Yes, it might be somewhat difficult for people who aren't able to walk too far to get around, but the distances really aren't that bad for those who are able to. Expect a really good walk, or a ride on a cute tram or train.

I have to say that we are vacation club members at the Gran Melia Cancun. We decided to trade a couple of our weeks to explore the two hotels in Punta Cana. We had never stayed at all-inclusives before-plenty of restaurants to choose from. At the Paradisus, there are a couple of choices of buffet restaurants for breakfast--plenty of choice for even the pickiest folks, but the best fruit around, especially the pineapple. The Caribe Tropical also had excellent choices at the three buffets. Lunch was also buffet, except for the Italian at the Paradisus, overlooking the flamingos in the pond. Dinner was a choice of buffet or sit-down. We prefer sit-down in the evening. The food was not ultra-gourmet by a longshot. But it was reasonably good. I did not find food sitting too long at the buffets. The servers usually brought you your drinks, or you could get your own at the buffet, in you were in a hurry. But we like to relax on vacation. We don't want to rush through dinner, or any other meal, for that matter.

And an aside to Mereco, if he's reading this. I think there is no bar waiter service at the beach because the servers are used full time in the restaurants, and this may be because these hotels are all-inclusive, I don't know. At the Gran Melia Cancun, there is beach bar service. I think that's because the hotel is scurrying for money because it is NOT an all-inclusive hotel, which I prefer, because I tend to eat too much. However, the Gran Melia does offer all-inclusive programs.

As for the service in the room-it was okay. We brought candies for the housekeeper, and left some most days. She was happy, but no additional service, unless we asked, and she was accommodating.

The first room we had at the Paradisus had been partially redone--lovely bedspread and curtains, one new couch. But the second had long burn marks all over it-not a thing of beauty. So we complained, and had our room changed. No problem. Overall, the suite type room was slightly more attractive than the Melia Caribe. The Melia Caribe room was fine, though.

You spend more at the Paradisus because there is more selection in food and wine than at the Melia CaribeTropical, though there was plenty to choose from in terms of food at the latter. We had to pay more for our all-inclusive at the Paradisus, but got more for the money. Also, the restaurants are pleasantly charming in both hotels.

We were disappointed that there weren't live bands, except for Saturday night at the Paradisus. There was a singer and keyboard player at the Caribe Tropical each night, however. And there was always a live show each night at each hotel. Seeing one or two is plenty.

But walking the beach at either hotel is great. The sand is white, cool, and fine. If your walk far enough, you can come to markets on the beach. Non-motorized water sports are included, and the ocean is great for swimming or just dunking. There are also exercises and dance lessons on the beach. And nice pools, too.

So, we'd say these hotels may not be a "5" on trip advisor (the top rating).
Maybe a 3.5. But there's still plenty to enjoy about these resorts. And lovely people, too. So go with the flow-relax!

If you aren't bored by now, and need more info., just send me a reply, and I can e-mail you.

ck28

Jun 15, 2006
Vacation Club Melia Caribe

How were the rooms for the vacation club at the Melia Caribe? We are vacation club members at this resort and have not yet stayed at any of the vacation club rooms. Also what is the location of these rooms? Thanks for your help.

How are the vacation club rooms and the resort in general at the Gran Melia Cancun?