The truth is finally coming out!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The Ley de Lemas and now this. It's all about getting immunity from prosecution. Now why would he need that?

Hipolito, the senator?
El Caribe covers the proposal that President Hipolito Mejia would decline to run for re-election if he is elected as senator for Monte Plata, a post currently held by Ramon Alburquerque. Alburquerque, in his proposal for the unity of the PRD, also suggests to modify the Constitution to establish the position of "senator for life", a title that would be granted to President Mejia at the end of his administration. The idea is that if Mejia loses the election, he would enjoy parliamentary immunity to avoid persecution for alleged cases of corruption while in office, all in the name of governance.

Apr 26, 2002
Robert said:
...modify the Constitution to establish the position of "senator for life", a title that would be granted to President Mejia at the end of his administration.

Hippo would be in "good" company. Augusto Pinochet was made "Senator for Life" when he stepped down in 1990.

Of course, Pinochet only stepped down after a constitutional change calling for a plebiscite on his rule. That consitutional change occured in 1980. The plebiscite occurred in 1988, and he finally stepped down in 1990.

Let the Shennanigans begin!!!

Sep 20, 2003
if hippo did get himself appointed "senator for life", i don't think it would work out for him. he has caused so much damage to the DR, i think the next administration would go after him no matter what. i think that is why hippo is so concerned with winning again, avoiding prison on corruption charges.

hippo will end up living in exile in miami. i really don't see much alternative for him, except prison.

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
He might get away with it...

joel pacheco said:
hippo will end up living in exile in miami.

If Salvador Jorge Blanco can have the luxury of being treated like any other member of the Dominican elite (not like the thief that he is), I don't see what would make Hipolito any different. Jorge Blanco did exactly the same to the country and he's now a "major" political figure in the PRD.

Dominicans seem to have very short memories and when it comes to personal gain, all is forgotten.

How sad....

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
joel pacheco said:
.... i think the next administration would go after him no matter what.....

Just Like Balaguer did with Jorge Blanco, Leonel MUST start his government by destroying the political figure of Hipolito. After Balaguer was done with Jorge Blanco, there was no doubt that SJB would never be able to become a public figure again. and the PRD spent 16 years trying to recover.
Leonel MUST put Hipolito thru a trial and imprisonment if found guilty, that is the only way to disarm the PRD congress and sindicatos and create a condition in which he can govern.
Cut the head off the snake!!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
samiam said:
Just Like Balaguer did with Jorge Blanco, Leonel MUST start his government by destroying the political figure of Hipolito. After Balaguer was done with Jorge Blanco, there was no doubt that SJB would never be able to become a public figure again. and the PRD spent 16 years trying to recover.
Leonel MUST put Hipolito thru a trial and imprisonment if found guilty, that is the only way to disarm the PRD congress and sindicatos and create a condition in which he can govern.
Cut the head off the snake!!

BUT, will Leonel be able to push through such an agenda of prosecution with a HUGE majority of the Senate(?) being from Hipolito's party, therefore being subject to the same charges levied against him???

I recall something about there being an effort by Hipolito and cohorts to charge toe previous administration with corruption to no avail. Those charges fizzled, if I remember correctly. Don't you think the same thing will happen again??

Texas Bill

joel pacheco said:
hippo will end up living in exile in miami. i really don't see much alternative for him, except prison.

With all the money he allegedly skimmed, he can afford to live anywhere he wants, Miami would be best for the DR, especially because he would be gone!
He may not get along to well with the Dominican populace that lives there now.

? Hlywud

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Makes me want to puke.

I have to admit I am embarrassed of being called "Dominican" as long as Hipolito shares my nationality.

Would any other nation pls. take him?

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Pib said:
I have to admit I am embarrassed of being called "Dominican" as long as Hipolito shares my nationality.

Would any other nation pls. take him?

What absolutely amazes me is all the signs around town that say Hippo is a good man. There are businesses that have whole walls painted in huge letters "hippo 2004 - 2008".

I'll tell you one thing, if hippo was taking the food out of my kids mouths, those signs wouldn't be standing.

The people here are quick to have strikes but they drive around and look at these hippo signs all day long.

I can't for the life of me understand why they haven't all been destroyed/defaced.

Let the man know he is hated. Let him know that some of you have figured out the truth.

Let CNN air some video of what has really happened here. That is the only way to bring down his house of cards.