Railroad in the DR

iri

Feb 10, 2004
Does anyone have any information regarding the proposed railroad from rio haina to santiago?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It will never happen!

I see this is your first post on DR!.You should do a read of the DR1 Daily News Archives :dead: .The country is flat broke,and owes "Billions" of US dollars in International loans!We have no electricity,let alone a railroad! Besides,it was just another government scam to steal from the treasury. Cris Colon

Apr 26, 2002
There was once a regular guage railroad connecting Sanchez, on Samana Bay, to La Vega. It allegedly had a trunk line to Moca and Santiago. There was also allegedly limited passenger service. I say "allegedly" because its history seems to be very sketchy, though there is no doubt that it existed.

It was built by a Scottsman in the late 19th century. It stopped operating, I believe, in the 1930s.

You can still see the tracks laid out on some maps.

iri

Feb 10, 2004
broke but with potential

Criss Colon said:
I see this is your first post on DR!.You should do a read of the DR1 Daily News Archives :dead: .The country is flat broke,and owes "Billions" of US dollars in International loans!We have no electricity,let alone a railroad! Besides,it was just another government scam to steal from the treasury. Cris Colon

I have read the archives....and your sentiment seems to be consistent...although, there has been talk of a freight line and apparently, per DR1, at least on paper, capital has been allocated...we will see what happens...thanks for the response.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you visit Sanchez, you can still see some of the railroad equipment. Unfortunately, however, it has not been cared for. Should be part of a museum exhibit.

At that time, Samana Bay was a world port. Ships from all over came to deliver cargo and pick up products grown or produced in the DR, including chocolate, perfume, soap, and a variety of other things manufactured in Samana. The railroad was used to get things to and from the Cibao region.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
iri, if you really think there is a chance there will be a railroad, you don't know much about how things are in the DR. Countless major projects have been announced with great fanfare, then never heard about again.

Besides, this country is in desperate financial straits. It is going to be a long time before there is money to build a railroad.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Railroads were also used to move sugarcane. I am not sure if they have all been abandoned or not.

A railroad to Santiago? If we could only make a tunnel through Pico Duarte the rest would be.... I can't see it happening even in the best of times.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Railroads

The Rail line went from Sanchez to Moca.

there was a rail line that operated inthe the 1940s from Puerto Plata to Santiago and beyond. I "think this line was connected to the line that went to Sanchez.

In Tamboril there is a section calles Los Rieles = the rails.

Most of Avenida "Central" are the former railroad line and the highway from Navarrete into Santiago followed the rail lines. For years the old stone footing for the sleepers could be seen in the Dominguez farm on the other side of the road from the PISANO Zona Franca.

In 1963 I knew people that rode the train from La Vega to Sanchez. It was discontinued shortly thereafter.

Many of the rails were used to build pig pens for a former Presidential Secretary that hailed from Moca. He made the mistake of letting pictures be published of his pig farm and there were the rails!!

Popy Berm?dez commissioned a factibility study for a railroad and it showed that it was not economically feasible. The Santiago Development Association has copies of it. if the government tries it it will be a big gamboozle to funnel more money in to private buddies hands....

the sugar mills in the South have railroads, especially La Romana San Pedro and Rio Haina, but i think Haina is now closed...

and there used to be a banana railroad from Posito to Manzanillo, built by the United Fruit Company..

HB

Apr 26, 2002
If you scroll down on this website, you can see the old engine.
See the Train

Interesting, the engine is smaller than the two engines sitting at and near the port in Barahona, indicating to me that Barahona's railroad may be regular guage (though it's only used for carrying sugar now).

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Railroads

If you visit the downtown Puerto Plata area, on Colon st. near the power plant and the cruise ship (?) dock, you'll see old train station and the remnants of the locomotive.
The boiler smoke stack is off and lying next to it. The engine was built by a Marietta, Georgia factory in the 1800's. Pictures of the engine and construction data can be seen in the railroad museum in Kennesaw, Georgia
where the famous civil war locomotive the "General" calls home.
The line ran to Naverete, part of the old viaduct bridge can be seen in the river at Imbert about a quarter mile east of the main highway bridge over the river.
I have an old early color postcard of the train station postmarked 1923 with an mixed train of about eight box cars and several passenger cars.

Apr 26, 2002
Facsinating. I always thought that the Puerto Plata-Santiago train was a myth. Based on this info, I now know that it is not.