Fiance Visa Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

susiesue

Jan 27, 2004
Does anyone know if it is necessary for me, being the petitioner to travel to Dominican Republic the day of my fiance's appointment with the US Consulate over there? Also, would I have to take any important documents???Please answer me Im desperate to know. Thanks

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Suggest you do a search on "fiances", sankies and visas. You will quickly find that you might as well stay home because:

1. It ain't necessary
and 2. He doesn't stand a chance in hell unless he has a lot of money, land,a good job etc. and even then it will be a miracle...of course God does miracles sometimes so ??

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
El Jefe: you have no idea what you are talking about.

No, you don't need to be there for the consulate interview. PM me privately for more info.

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
Susie,

It is best to travel to the DR for his interview.

There is a Dominican Visa webgroup through Yahoo that has lots of great information from people that have gone through the Fiance visa process or are going through it now. I do not have the website information on me right now, but can post a reply first thing tomorrow morning.

Apr 26, 2002
Well, Jefe's partially right.

You should attend your fiance's appointment because the Consulate will assume that your fiance is a sankie trying to use you for a visa unless you BOTH provide plenty of evidence to the contrary - including your own live testimony and Q&A.

Only about 40% of fiance visa requests are granted at the Consulate in Santo Domingo.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
It is better to attend in person so I have been advised by legal counsel. Also, if the K1 visa is approved you can leave together and have less hassle during travel. He should have all the necessary documents from you: Financial info, birth certificate, etc. It is good to have an abundance of Good Faith evidence: emails, receipts, ticket stubs, phone bills, letters, etc. I didn't realize the approval rate was only 40percent, is that a fact or just an educated guess? Does anyone know the approval rate for a lone petionee facing the US consulate vs. a petionee with their sponsor there?
dale7(Howard)

egomezb

Feb 17, 2003
The odds are against anyone going alone to the interview that's a fact!

Here's the group Negrecita was referring to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K-1visa_DR/

I'm also a member

EGB

dale7 said:
It is better to attend in person so I have been advised by legal counsel. Also, if the K1 visa is approved you can leave together and have less hassle during travel. He should have all the necessary documents from you: Financial info, birth certificate, etc. It is good to have an abundance of Good Faith evidence: emails, receipts, ticket stubs, phone bills, letters, etc. I didn't realize the approval rate was only 40percent, is that a fact or just an educated guess? Does anyone know the approval rate for a lone petionee facing the US consulate vs. a petionee with their sponsor there?
dale7(Howard)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I wonder who will man our entertainment staffs?

Susiesue: Have your gone to the Men are from mars sections of this board?

Have you read and understood the implications of Hillbilly's Three Golden Rules?

this "fianc?" of yours probably cannot even fill out a Consular questionaire, much less stand up to the questioning he will be getting.

does he have a bank account? A job not related to the tourist industry?

You can see I am extremely doubtful of the guy....

I'd give it maybe a one in 50 chance of getting through, with you here!

HB

egomezb

Feb 17, 2003
Some people can speak a lot of BS without realize, but that's life!

Hillbilly said:
Susiesue: Have your gone to the Men are from mars
sections of this board?

Have you read and understood the implications of Hillbilly's Three Golden Rules?

this "fianc?" of yours probably cannot even fill out a Consular questionaire, much less stand up to the questioning he will be getting.

does he have a bank account? A job not related to the tourist industry?

You can see I am extremely doubtful of the guy....

I'd give it maybe a one in 50 chance of getting through, with you here!

HB

blong

Sep 30, 2003
Susiesue,

Just listent to adrianb and contact him. The fiance visa application is really a piece of cake if you meet all the requirements which are clearly laid out for you by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (INS).

Just fill out the forms and jump through all the hoops of background check, police report, medical report, and income verification. The USCIS will make you sign an affadavit holding you financially responsible for your spouse after you marry so that the US government will not end up holding the bag. Having covered itself, there is no reason for it to stand in the way of love.

You fill out the USCIS paperwork and the USCIS orders the consulate to issue the visa. So the consulate verifys that the Dominican is not a criminal and doesn't have AIDS (really) and then the visa is cut. No big deal. You don't have to go to the meeting but can if you want to.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
My goodness folks can we NOT attack every person as if they are fools? I am dating a person from DR and am considering beginning the Fiance visa process this summer as well. If I came here to ask a question, would I also get attacked for being stupid eventhough I am Dominican-American?
Should we NOT assume what the situation is when someone falls in love with a Dominican. IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF, when people put down an entire culture because of some bad apples that work at a resort.

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
NY1,

I totally agree with you. I have a friend that met her husband way back in 1994 when they were both in high school at the time, while she was visiting her family in the DR. They kept in contact over the years and ended up pursuing a long distance relationship in 2001. He himself started to work @ a resort in 1999 so that he could put himself through college. In 2002 they got married and have since moved to the US.

People on this board should not criticize everyone that works @ a resort, just because of a few that might have ruined the reputation of a dominican resort worker.

blong

Sep 30, 2003
NY1, Negrecita

I hope you know I wasn't being critical. I actually think the fiancee visa application is pretty straight forward and don't think susiesue will have a problem at all. The consulate will make you do a little song and dance but nothing terrible.

Susiesuh, I wish you the best.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
NO, NO blong, your post actually answered the question that was asked on the thread. I was referring to others on this thread and on the site in general that immediately jump on someone for asking a question regarding visas or visits from DR to US or Canada.

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Susie,
Both of you need to be at the interview as they can throw curves. Have all your ducks in a row with evidence and proof of the relationship, pictures with mommy etc. Show your passport with all the stamps of prior visits. I went thru the dog and pony show eight years ago sucessfully. They are looking for a reason to deny the visa, have your shyt packed tight so you don't give them one.
Concerning Hillbilly, he's walked the walk and talked the talk for many years,
and he's right about 99.9% on the time.
Good luck

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For Negrecita2003 and NY1 among others

NY1, you proved me out. the guy worked at a resort but he went to college (hopefully even graduated)!! That is very different from the huge majority of cases where the poor fellow cannot even read or write, and just uses his "personality" to get ahead in life. Look, if this was an Italian board, I would probably be writing the same sort of stuff, these guys abound, and I think maybe you know it. Come to Santiago and I can show you where some really nice, educated, visa-holding, professional young men hang out.

Besides, did you say you were Dominican-American? Any Dominican female already knows what she is getting with a Dominican male. If she gets hurt, that is her fault. But a truly incredible number of foreigners manage to convert the smooth talk into "true love" and get really hurt.

Susiesue is trying to resolve a relationship issue. It is going to be hard enough without having her hopes dashed. Has she even thought at just what her "fianc?" is going to work at in the States? There are not a whole lot of jobs for this person: drive a taxi, but he has to at least be able to read and pass a driver's test; security guard; Mickey D; great prospects...might become Head Fryer?

Better to be harsh than crying with two kids to look after...

HB

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Every Prostitute in the DR has...............

Attented a university! Studied English,AND :confused: computers!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't make too much about the "University" thing!It is just another way to get money from your "Boy/Girlfriend!!!

"Please send me some money,I have to pay my tuition"........Ten "Lovers",= X 10 tuition payments!!!

"Been There done that,bought the tee shirt!!!!"CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Cfresh4

Feb 18, 2004
Visa to visit USA

I plan to live with my fiance in the DR before I make the final decision to live permanetly and get married in DR. In the future I would like him to be able to travel with me to USA to meet my family before we get married. I do not plan to request for residency in the DR. Which VISA should he apply for a VISA to visit or fiance. He has the VISA application requesting entering for a visit for 2 weeks. I would be able to be there for his interview with the USA consult. Any advice? :confused: (Oh, by the way he is a Dominican)

Status
Not open for further replies.